Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2006, 04:26 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

I have a new Itasca Suncruiser on order. It comes with the flat 7 pin RV trailer plug. I tow a Suzuki Grand Vitara with a Roadmaster All Terrain hitch which has a built in round 4 pin electrical plug. Is there an adapter from the flat 7 pin to the round 4 pin plug? I haven't been able to find one on the Internet so far. All I can find is an adapter to the flat 4 pin plug. I also looked on the shelf at Camping World but did not talk to their parts guy. Can anyone help me out or do I have to splice in a new plug?
Doug
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 04:26 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I have a new Itasca Suncruiser on order. It comes with the flat 7 pin RV trailer plug. I tow a Suzuki Grand Vitara with a Roadmaster All Terrain hitch which has a built in round 4 pin electrical plug. Is there an adapter from the flat 7 pin to the round 4 pin plug? I haven't been able to find one on the Internet so far. All I can find is an adapter to the flat 4 pin plug. I also looked on the shelf at Camping World but did not talk to their parts guy. Can anyone help me out or do I have to splice in a new plug?
Doug
Old 09-20-2006, 05:04 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

My Itasca came with a round plug. It also came with the corresponding female plug in the bag with all the remote controls and other stuff.

If your 2007 Itasca comes with a flat connector Winnebago will supply the matching female plug in the plastic bag.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 05:45 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Tom:

The plug on the Itasca is round - it is the prongs inside that are flat instead of round. So I need a 7 pin round plug with flat prongs to mate with a 4 pin round plug from the toad.

Doug
Old 09-20-2006, 05:59 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Doug Sage:
Tom:

The plug on the Itasca is round - it is the prongs inside that are flat instead of round. So I need a 7 pin round plug with flat prongs to mate with a 4 pin round plug from the toad.

Doug </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whatever it is Winnebago gives you the corresponding female end. You can either cut the 4 pin off the toad and install Winne's female end or use Winne's female end and make an adapter with the Winne on one end and the correct 4 pin on the other. Sort of like a 50 to 30 amp dogbone adapter.

I have Roadmaster Sterling bar and when I bought it I had the choice of either 4 or 6/7 pin wiring connectors/cable.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 06:31 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Check the Hoppy website (Hopkins manufacturing). They have an adaptor. Any Advance Auto Parts or Autozone can order it. Also, Walmart may have it.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 01:56 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

my new itasca came with a 7 pin plug that you wire ythe backside yourself...
peter griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 05:23 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I had hoped that I could find an adapter before the motorhome arrived so that I could tow my car home. That way my wife and I could enjoy the first drive together. The dealer is about an hour from our house. I guess we will just have to wait and see what comes with the motorhome and what adapting I will have to do after I get it. They told us it would be 6 - 8 weeks before it would arrive and it is now 5 weeks since we have ordered it. We can hardly wait!!!

Doug
Old 09-28-2006, 04:16 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

what did you order..? do you mind telling me what you paid for it...thanks
peter griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 05:22 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I ordered a 2007 Suncruiser 38J. I was offerred a 26+% discount fron Lichtsinn Motors in Forest City but they are 1800 miles from me and I was worried about getting warranty service locally. The local (one and only) dealer says on his website that he does "warranty repairs on units we sell." I ended up getting a 24-25% discount from them. I special ordered this unit because I wanted to pay for only the features that I wanted/needed. For example, I plan on getting the Motosat Internet and TV dish so I didn't want to buy a motorhome that came with the standard dish.

Doug
Old 09-29-2006, 06:40 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I looked and looked for an adapter to a 4 pin round plug for my boat trailer. I couldn't find one. I went to Wal-Mart, and any other store I could think of such as trailer sales lots. I also checked on line. No luck anywhere.

You could build your own by buying a 7 pin plug and an 4 pin blank plug and wiring them together.

I solved my problem when I looked at my trailer and noticed a 4 pin flat plug that connected to an adapter with a 4 pin round plug. I was able to find an adapter to fit the flat plug so that's the way I went.

JD & Kathy
JD Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 06:49 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

That is an idea. I may have to go that way. It would mean that I would need to have two adapters: round 7 pin to 4 pin flat and 4 pin flat to 4 pin round. I hate to have that many connections but it may be the only way short of splicing in a round 4 pin plug. I guess I will wait (impatiently) for the new rig to arrive and see what I get.

Doug
Old 09-29-2006, 07:34 AM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Doug Sage:
I had hoped that I could find an adapter before the motorhome arrived so that I could tow my car home. That way my wife and I could enjoy the first drive together. The dealer is about an hour from our house. I guess we will just have to wait and see what comes with the motorhome and what adapting I will have to do after I get it. They told us it would be 6 - 8 weeks before it would arrive and it is now 5 weeks since we have ordered it. We can hardly wait!!!

Doug </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep...Walmart is where I got mine....
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 06:23 PM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Doug.....I had the same issue and always liked using the round 4 pin. I called one of the popular manufacturers of those conversion plugs. They make every conversion except round 7 to round 4.

This is what I did:

I bought a round 7 pin male and fitted a round 4 pin femnale into the back of it. The 4 pin female has two holes for screw mounts. They line up with the finger pulls on the back of the 7 pin. I drilled the finger pulls and bolted the 4 pin into the back of the 7 pin. Looks good, works great and only takes a few minutes to make and wire.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 08:41 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

etrailer.com they have every type of adapter. I was able to go from my 2000 Adventurer'd 6 to a flat 7 so now whether I tow a toad or a trailer I have both plugs readily available.

1997 Jeep Wrangler
hotrod 32 is offline   Reply With Quote