Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-26-2011, 05:38 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by blevtr View Post
Got my Trik-L-Start and promptly installed it, just like the Winnebago folks did. The charging LED lit up, while I fiddled around poking around the new used Journey. About the time I closed up the electric compartment lid, the maintaining LED lit up. Happy camper. But - tell the truth, I really want to re-do the mount somewhere where I can monitor my happy little LEDs. I've worried about starting batteries on various RVs for so long, out of sight/out of mind seems.......un-American.
On my 04 Meridian I mounted the Trik-L-Start on the cover panel where it is easily visible once the generator access door is opened. I passed the wires through a 3/8" hole I drilled about an inch up from the bottom of the cover panel and then added a rubber grommet. I had to cut a 1/4" slice out of the cover panel about an inch up from the bottom to pass the three wires through and up to the grommet (which I cut with a box cutter to accept the wires after it was installed). I didn't think mounting the Trik-L-Start behind the cover panel made sense because it is not convenient to see if it is maintaining, charging or what. Now I simply open the front access door to the genset, and it is staring me in the face.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:24 PM   #22
Winnebago Camper

I know this is an old thread but I'm thinking of getting this, does it work well?
Tyler6357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:23 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler6357 View Post
I know this is an old thread but I'm thinking of getting this, does it work well?
Many of us use them. Ours was standard. Winnebago started putting them in at the factory on their diesel pushers sometime in 2006. Ours has worked flawlessly and we couldn't be happier with the feature. Everybody should consider having one or a similar echo charger. It sure saves the hassle of always worrying about the charge of the chassis batteries and having to manually put a charger on them.

-harry
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:45 PM   #24
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda_h View Post
Many of us use them. Ours was standard. Winnebago started putting them in at the factory on their diesel pushers sometime in 2006. Ours has worked flawlessly and we couldn't be happier with the feature. Everybody should consider having one or a similar echo charger. It sure saves the hassle of always worrying about the charge of the chassis batteries and having to manually put a charger on them.

-harry
Harry,
Fire up here. I was wondering, Winne (and I assume Itasca) started installing the Trik-L-Start around '06 correct? Where about's do the install it in say, an '06 Meridian with the 330 CAT and the Dimensions 2000 Watt inverter/charger? Thanks
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:39 PM   #25
Winnebago Camper

Quote:

-harry
Harry, thanks for responding, I'm still kinda am RV rookie. I got a rather older gas MH that I have been fixing up. I got a new starter battery about 6 months ago and it drained down sitting this winter. I was able to jump start it and I hope it will fully charge with my car charger now. I guess I should have disconnected it for winter storage but I saw this and thought it might be a good idea to keep it charged during the off season storage. Since I keep shore power plugged in while it sits in the driveway, I thought this might be a good investment. Good idea??
Old 02-18-2013, 12:02 AM   #26
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Harry,
Fire up here. I was wondering, Winne (and I assume Itasca) started installing the Trik-L-Start around '06 correct? Where about's do the install it in say, an '06 Meridian with the 330 CAT and the Dimensions 2000 Watt inverter/charger? Thanks
Scott
Here's Winnebago's Service Tip on installing the Trik-L-Start: 2006-04 Trik-L-Start -

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:40 AM   #27
Winnebago Master

They are a good addition to any motor home that has a method of charging the house batteries, shore power/converter-charger or solar. I mounted mine inside in a cabinet at the end of the kitchen counter. This allows me to see the lights.
Attached Images

1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:38 AM   #28
Winnebago Master

Chris,
Thank you Sir. I'd seen that PDF before and in fact, had/have it in my favorites. But, as usual, the brain didn't think to go looking for it in my long list of favorites. Thanks again.
Scott
Old 02-18-2013, 11:01 AM   #29

Scott, does your friend NOT have a Trik-L-Start in his '06 Meridian???

John, that's a great installation. I would prefer to have it where it can be easily monitored.

Tyler, Yes! I haven't done the installation myself because mine came with it from the factory but I hear it's very easy to install. I guess the alternative ...especially if you're leaving it in your driveway, is to put a battery minder on it (click here) and just leave it hooked up (and monitor it every so often). A friend of mine does that. He told me that it isn't a hassle for him to hook a battery minder up while it's being stored. If in your shoes, I'd opt for the Trik-L-Start, however, as it's just one less thing to do and worry about.

Either option, in my opinion, is better than disconnecting. Some store their coach where there is no power so disconnecting the chassis battery may be the only alternative.

-harry
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:25 AM   #30
Winnebago Camper

Quote:

John, that's a great installation. I would prefer to have it where it can be easily monitored.

Tyler, Yes! I haven't done the installation myself because mine came with it from the factory but I hear it's very easy to install. I guess the alternative ...especially if you're leaving it in your driveway, is to put a battery minder on it (click here) and just leave it hooked up (and monitor it every so often). A friend of mine does that. He told me that it isn't a hassle for him to hook a battery minder up while it's being stored. If in your shoes, I'd opt for the Trik-L-Start, however, as it's just one less thing to do and worry about.

Either option, in my opinion, is better than disconnecting. Some store their coach where there is no power so disconnecting the chassis battery may be the only alternative.

-harry
Harry:

Yes, I've decided to opt for the "one less thing to worry about" option and I'm planning on ordering this one for my Bounder. I just wanted to make sure it was a quality product that actually works. I had left the starter battery connected and just assumed that my battery charger in the coach would charge both the house and engine batteries, ha ha, see how much of a rookie I am? I guess you learn these kind of lessons as you go.

My Bounder motorhome is really getting into shape. I have been working on it over the last couple of years off and on as I could afford to buy new things and I'm just about ready to register it and take it to the lake. I know it's kinda old (1990), but it had hardly any miles on it (about 7000). The engine is running really good, all it needed was an oil change. It doesn't have any slides or anything but it's lighter than most of the fancy ones and should do better on gas. It was originally purchased more to live in than to drive after a wild fire burned down the orginal owners house. It has been sitting for a long time unused. I pretty much got everything working now. Had to fix the generator, it just needed one part. I have put new running lights on it and installed a new cooling unit for the fridge. I got new coach batteries and a starter battery. I got a new inverter and am just about done installing a new flat screen TV in it. As soon as that is done I will get all new tires this month. I've had to install a few other parts here and there. It has been a fun project. I'm not retired or anything, still kinda young, and I never thought I could ever really afford to own one of these things but I'm super happy to actually have a class A motorhome now! The ouside is kinda ugly but the inside looks great. I can hardly wait to get this baby on the road!! Thanks so much for taking the time to help me!! This site has been awesome!
Old 02-19-2013, 07:09 AM   #31
Winnebago Owner

Trik-L-Start is the best thing since sliced bread if you don't have a similar system. You will notice that it will charge your chassis battery to about .2 volts less than your house battery. That is NORMAL.

I don't want to start a stampede but...

I had a Trik-L-Start on my previous Winnebago and removed it when I traded it in thinking I would need it for my Dutch Star...NOPE...it has a BIRD system so it is not needed.

First person that PMs me with name and address gets it for free and I will pay the postage too. Just remember to pay it forward.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:33 AM   #32
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
Trik-L-Start is the best thing since sliced bread if you don't have a similar system. You will notice that it will charge your chassis battery to about .2 volts less than your house battery. That is NORMAL.

I don't want to start a stampede but...

I had a Trik-L-Start on my previous Winnebago and removed it when I traded it in thinking I would need it for my Dutch Star...NOPE...it has a BIRD system so it is not needed.

First person that PMs me with name and address gets it for free and I will pay the postage too. Just remember to pay it forward.
Sent you a PM thanks if I am the winner

We are going from a 2001 38ft Endeavor that had BIRD to a 24ft View and I have a feeling I am going to need a few things to bring it up to what we are used to as far as conveniences go
Old 02-19-2013, 01:46 PM   #33
Winnebago Master

Quote:

-harry
Harry,
Yep, he's got the Trik-L-Start in his Meridian. I went over some checks with him on the phone to confirm it's actually working. It seems it is working. He's received a "Low voltage threshold" warning from the Freightliner Medallion info center a couple of times right after start up so, I was concerned that he didn't have the Trik-L-Start or it was malfunctioning.

I would have installed one in our '04 Horizon if I'd have known about it prior to my purchase of a Napa, three stage battery charger for the chassis batteries. I hard wired it in and tied it to an empty breaker in the 110VAC panel, at the foot of the bed. So, I can, for whatever reason, turn it off if needed. And, I can tell at a glimps the condition of my chassis batteries due to the fact that the little LEDs on the charger, broadcast through a vent at the foot of the bed.
Scott