Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2006, 05:29 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Has anyone ever added a Trip Tec engine monitoring system to their coach after delivery??

I would like to add something, but so far I have not been able to find any source that can supply one. I have e-mailed a possible manufacturer I found on the net, but I have not had a response as of yet. Any suggestions?

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 05:29 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Has anyone ever added a Trip Tec engine monitoring system to their coach after delivery??

I would like to add something, but so far I have not been able to find any source that can supply one. I have e-mailed a possible manufacturer I found on the net, but I have not had a response as of yet. Any suggestions?

Old 09-22-2006, 05:56 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Sarge - TripTek was one of the few options we didn't order on our coach. For the kilobuck-plus cost of TripTek I planned on using the laptop and VMSpc for engine instrumentation instead. VMSpc is highly customizable so you can decide what data are important for you.

TripTek had a booth at an FMCA rally so I'm pretty sure it is sold after-market. VMSpc uses the engine OBDII port (located under our dash) to collect its data and TripTek probably does also.

If you are interested in VMSpc, you can look at our installation on the RV pages of our web site (link in sig.)

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 07:15 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

My dealer added mine after I bought the coach.
Charles
chzgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 11:15 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Thanks John,
The VMS system you have does look good, but the hitch is that I don't want to infringe on the wife's use of the laptop. She uses Microsoft Streets and Trips w/GPS, and does all the navigation when we are rolling. I wanted to have the engine monitor system on a seperate screen. I know that the Trip Tek is pricey, but it will display on top of my back-up camera view.

Or an option would be the VMS system displaied on another screen. Do they offer anything of the like that you are aware of??

Old 09-22-2006, 12:00 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

SargeW,
I installed the tripTek on my rig, was not complicated. Cost was about $770. It taps into the data line coming into the OBDII port. Location of the company is www.triptek.net/
The tech I talked to worked me thru the install with no problem.

I also have the VMSpc but use it mostly for trouble shooting.
I know,having both is redundant but I'm a "techie" What can I say.

2012 Honda CRV / M&G Braking
bill jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 02:47 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SargeW:
Thanks John,
The VMS system you have does look good, but the hitch is that I don't want to infringe on the wife's use of the laptop. She uses Microsoft Streets and Trips w/GPS, and does all the navigation when we are rolling. I wanted to have the engine monitor system on a seperate screen. I know that the Trip Tek is pricey, but it will display on top of my back-up camera view.

Or an option would be the VMS system displaied on another screen. Do they offer anything of the like that you are aware of?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Sarge - I sized VMSpc to occupy a rectangle on the right-hand side of the laptop display and it always sits on top of my nav program (CoPilot.) The two coexist nicely. You could run a cheap laptop for just VMSpc, or a micro PC with an external display. I'm a fan of VMSpc because I get to decide what data are important to me. (Trivial note: "data are" - correct grammar - data is plural of datum.)

I am going to play with displaying the laptop screen on the Sony backup monitor. I ordered a composite video to Sony monitor input adapter cable from Tim at RVcams. I'll need to get an S-Video to Composite adapter at Rat Shack and then plug it all together.

The Sony monitor has relatively low resolution so it will be interesting to see if I can even distinguish any details.

I might use another laptop for just VMSpc to the Sony monitor but that will really lengthen our get-ready-to-go time when we hit the road.

Check out CoPilot for navigation. The major problem with S&T is that it does no real-time routing.

Old 09-22-2006, 04:03 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Sarge,

I also added the TripTek as an after market upgrade. It is really easy to install. IIRC it took me about 1.5 hours.

I looked at the VMSpc system at the FMCA in Pamona last Feb. It is really nice and I thought hard about going that way. Unfortunately LOML is not a real techie on computers so I had to have something that did not take adjustment while on the road. I really like a LARGE GPS screen - I use a 17" flat screen monitor with DeLorme. That is why I did not go with VMSpc.

I bought mine from TripTek like bill j did and they are extremely helpful. I also bought the SmarTire interface which works with the TripTek. I am not aware of any manufacturers that are offering that as a factory option.

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
AdrianLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 04:14 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Sarge - also - on the subject of navigation software - I kept reading about a lot of people using CoPilot so I coughed up the price and bought a copy. I see a lot of things that people would like but I guess I'm just an old dog. I started using DeLorme years ago and have just stayed with it.

Routeing - trust none of them implicitly if you are off interstate highways. When you start going places that use a lot of back roads they do not care if you are in a Corvette or a moho. CoPilot is supposed to take your vehicle into consideration when routeing but it trouted me on the same back roads as DeLorme in the Ozark Mtns in northern Ar adn southern MO. Granted, there are not many good highways in that area but a 10' wide bridge with 2X10 planks for a surface is not where I wanted to drive my 30K lb 40' moho.

Always check the routeing with a good Atlas or road map.

John - how did CoPilot do re routeing while you were up in the far north? Not shooting an arrow - just curious.

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
AdrianLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 04:18 PM   #10
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AdrianLee:
I also bought the SmarTire interface which works with the TripTek. I am not aware of any manufacturers that are offering that as a factory option. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Adrian,on the Essex and I believe the MADP you can special order the Spartan Chassis with the Smarttire pre-installed that will interface with the Triptek 2520.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 03:54 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

On my '04 Bus I installed a TripTek 2520 system. I bought it direct from TripTek and received great support from them. I too, did not want to be tethered to the laptop so I went with this system.

On my '07 Bus I'll be going with the VMS 240CL, which is made by Silverleaf, the same people who make the VMSPC laptop version. The 240CL is a dedicated display though and is the color version of the older 220CL monochrome version. It also costs a bit more than the TripTek.

Both the TripTek and the VMS 240CL can take the SmartTire interface but I installed a dedicated SmarTire system on my '04 and will do the same on the '07. The SmarTire system really is an awesome tire pressure /temperature monitoring system and I highly recommend it. After having it, I'd never go back to the external valve stem sensors again.

While any of the above 3 systems will work, the biggest difference is in the user interface. The VMSPC uses the laptop and it's the least expensive option. The TripTek uses the backup monitor and the VMS240CL uses it's own dedicated monitor. It's all a matter of personal preference. My personal preference is that I like to have everything seperate. That way I don't have to toggle through displays when driving and I can see any information I need at any time just by looking at the appropriate display without losing the view on anything else. That's why I went with the 240CL this time instead of the TripTek.

But, those are just my personal prefernces.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 04:22 AM   #12
Administrator Emeritus

Mark, looks like Silverleaf has come out with it's own Tire SafeGuard system....
I'm not interested in anything but the Smarttire,but I wonder where they got the idea...

Silverleaf's web page could use some of Bill Rowell's magic!!

Are you going to interface the Smarttire with the 240CL?

(This looks like my 4000th post!!)
Old 09-23-2006, 05:57 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AdrianLee:
--snip--
John - how did CoPilot do re routeing while you were up in the far north? Not shooting an arrow - just curious. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Adrian - CoPilot didn't have much of a road database for western Canada and Alaska but it did have the major highways. I think there is a bug in the software because sometimes our GPS position would be off the road and CoPilot would not snap to the road. It refused to route and only indicated direct (not highway) miles to the destination. This only happened sporadically.

When we needed to do more precise navigation up there I would fire up S&T - sometimes pinpointing a campground on a road was difficult with CoPilot.

Down here in the 48, CoPilot almost always does great. Its big weakness is the accuracy of the POI locations - once in a while they just plain get it wrong. I have learned to NEVER blindly follow any nav program (as others have mentioned) - it is not just CoPilot with an occasional hiccup. I always review the route and the stop location beforehand.

I have quite a bit of experience with S&T, DeLorme, Garmin and CoPilot and CoPilot by far to me is the easiest and most user-friendly nav program and always my first choice to use.

A little OT - sorry

Old 09-23-2006, 04:22 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rebelsbeach:
Mark, looks like Silverleaf has come out with it's own Tire SafeGuard system....
I'm not interested in anything but the Smarttire,but I wonder where they got the idea...

Silverleaf's web page could use some of Bill Rowell's magic!!

Are you going to interface the Smarttire with the 240CL?

(This looks like my 4000th post!!) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When I talked to Dickman Tires (they have a better website than SmarTire ) they stated that the SmarTire system does interface with the Silverleaf product as well as TripTek. They just supply a JIB (J1709 Interface Box) instead of a display module. Then the data is available on the buss for the VMS or TripTek to read. I'm not sure if the SilverLeaf branded system is even available any more. I'd have to dig through my old emails to see what they told me.

I don't plan on interfacing with my VMS240CL though. I went with the 2" round gauge on my 40DP and really like it. I'll do the same on the 42QRP. I guess the only reason I would ever combine things would be if I ran out of dash real estate.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 09:29 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Wow, tons of great info. I too like the idea of having a seperate screen to monitor the engine functions. Besides, I am mindful of not infringing on the wife's responsibilities

John, you mentioned a mini PC? Do you have any examples in mind? I could put it on the left side of the dash and leave it set up all the time. I also like the tire monitor that you use. Is it fairly accurate?? I looked at the one that uses the internal pressure sensors to monitor pressure, but it looks a little pricey at this point.

Old 09-24-2006, 06:37 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Sarge - do a Google on "mini PC" or "car PC" - here is one site I have been looking at. Been thinking about buying a seven or eight inch VGA display to plug into the laptop for the driver to glance at (please, no lectures about safety), or using the cheapie Dell laptop currently living under the bed to run strictly VMSpc with the small display.

Old 09-24-2006, 09:23 AM   #17
Administrator Emeritus

Sounds like a great idea John as I added a 7 inch screen over by the left pillar and moved my camera feeds over there instead of looking down and over at the dash...
7 inches is a great size and there are a bunch of choices to choose from.

Old 09-24-2006, 09:46 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

I installed the Cummins Road Relay 4. It is about the same price as the Trip Tek but provides significantly more information and has more features. It can be mounted in the dash or stand alone.
I did not want to install a lap top computer in the driver area to use the VMSpc system and the Silverleaf stand alone was more expensive.
Silver leaf was originally designed to interface with Cat but can be used with Cummins and obviously the Road Relay was designed to work with Cummins.
I am very pleased with the RR4.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:04 PM   #19
Winnie-Wise

How much was the Cummins RR4? Does it plug in to the data link like the others do??

Old 09-25-2006, 03:54 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

The RR4 was about $850 you have to call around to various Cummins dealers as I found that price varied by $50-$150. You can buy a data link plug for the unit to make it plug and play or simply splice into the data link wires on the coach which is easy to do.