Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2006, 03:19 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

On the 2002 Journey DL, is the gas furnace supposed to automatically come on if the outside temp falls too low for the heat pumps to do the job? Seems with mine, if I have the T-stat set to 'electric heat' and the outside temp falls to about 36, I must reset the T-stat to 'gas heat.'

Is this switch supposed to occur automatically?
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 03:19 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

On the 2002 Journey DL, is the gas furnace supposed to automatically come on if the outside temp falls too low for the heat pumps to do the job? Seems with mine, if I have the T-stat set to 'electric heat' and the outside temp falls to about 36, I must reset the T-stat to 'gas heat.'

Is this switch supposed to occur automatically?
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 02-02-2006, 03:48 PM   #3

You have to make the switch manually from electric to propane heat.
glenda1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 04:14 PM   #4
Administrator Emeritus

Glenda,I'm relatively certain my Vectra switches automatically to make up the difference,now you're going to make me read that manual again!!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 04:22 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

On my Ultimate if the thermostat is set to electric heat and the outside temperature gets too low it will automatically start the propane furnace.
Old 02-02-2006, 04:25 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Smlramger,
You are correct about the heat pump not being able to produce heat if the outside temp is to low in which case it will automatically switch to propane heater.

Also if you set temperature more that 3 degrees higher that coach temp is it will kick in propane hesater. I normally check room temp first and say it is 40 degrees then I set temp by holding button to 42 or 43 degrees. as Temp in room increase I increase set temp. It could be a pain but saves on propane.

When running down the road in cold weather than I use motoraid heater to keep holding tanks warm or turn on propane heater at lowest temp to keep holding tanks warm however motoraid heater usually does the trick.

I hope this answers your question.
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 04:26 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

When in the gas position only the gas furnace will operate.

When in the electric position only the heat pump will operate BUT if the ambient temperature is 5 degrees higher or lower than the set temperature BOTH the electric heat pump AND the gas furnace will operate simultaneously. After the ambient temperature is reached only the electric heat pump will cycle to maintain the temp.

If I do not want the gas furance to come on and the ambient temp is more than 5 degrees from the set temp, I set the set temp to 4 degrees above the ambient temp and then when the heat pump shuts off I raise the set temp 4 more degrees and continue doing this until the coach is at the temp I desire.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 05:43 PM   #8
Administrator Emeritus

Thanks.....from me anyway,as I remembered reading that somewhere...

Glenda,I'm betting that if you drag the furnace manual out of your black bag you'll find the same.
Seems I remember even my 2004 Journey doing it as well....
Old 02-02-2006, 06:06 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Don't need the furnace manual.

Read your Operator Manual.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:16 PM   #10
Administrator Emeritus

Tom,I guess I should have clarified that,as in my Vectra I have not only one operators manual,but TWO supplements as well.

The two supplements now have the complete owners manuals in them for EVERY piece of equipment in the coach.

I'm guessing your 2005 has the same thing?
Old 02-02-2006, 06:54 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">On my Ultimate if the thermostat is set to electric heat and the outside temperature gets too low it will automatically start the propane furnace </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ditto for mine, although sometimes the temp will drop several degrees below the thermostat setting before the gas furnace will kick on.
Old 02-03-2006, 02:19 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Hey guys , hope you are all doing ok.
Tom N, Has it right. The simplest thing to do when it is not to cold for the electric heat to run (above 40 or so) is to set it on electric heat, set the temp where you want it say 70 and let it go. The propane will come if below the differential and heat the coach. From then on the electric will maintain temp for you till it falls below the differential again and then you will hear the propane. All things being equal you should only get propane on the original start up and then electric till it can no longer maintain temp. clear as mud huh? take care jim
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 02:31 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Thanks all for the info in this thread. I have read the manual and find the explanations here the most clear. Now I can take this item off my punch list for the dealer ...it is doing what it is supposed to do! Steve
Old 02-03-2006, 03:06 AM   #14
Administrator Emeritus

With the cold weather we've been having here I had the furnace on about 60 degrees to keep her "comfortable" while I was working about inside....The "short" version is that now I'm out of propane....
Old 02-03-2006, 03:39 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Bob, while you're there get me some propane too

PS I use a oil filled radiator all the time on my coach while its parked in the yard and for suplemental heat while camping,saves on propane. I was told this was the most economical to operate.
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 05:05 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

I should have stated that the propane furnace manual will not have anything on the operation of the furnace in conjunction with the heat pump.

The Winnebago Operators Manual has the "dope" on how the heat pump interacts with the furnace. I have no idea if this information is in your Operators Manual or one of it's two suppliments, but you will not find it in the furnace manufactures manual.

Tom
Quail Roost RV CG, Crystal River, FL
Old 02-03-2006, 06:08 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

After reading these responses, I do not believe mine is working as described by several here. For example, I recently was in the coach and set the T-stat to 65 on the electric heat setting (actual temp was about 47, outside temp was 45 or so). The heat pumps came on and proceeded to run until the actual temp was about 66. The gas furnace did not run.

I will try again this weekend since the outside temps are supposed to drop in the mid 20's at night. I should expect the heat pumps to shut down and the gas furnace to come on even with the T-stat set on Electric Heat.