Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2013, 04:20 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
True Air thermostat

Just a little trouble shooting information.

Our thermostat on out Tour decided to "freeze up" last week. It may have been caused by a surge, really not sure, but it would not respond to any change when I pushed the buttons. Fortunately we were parked at our sons only a short distance to our dealer. I made a call as soon as the service dept. opened at 8:00 and they said bring her on over. The tech, Phil, came out to the coach and did a couple of tests and then decided to pull out the thermostat. There is a small screw under the bottom edge and then you can pull it out. I asked him to show me what he was doing and he showed me the two connections. One has a few pins, the other about nine. He said unplug the one with nine pins and let it reset. That's all it took. He said we could have had a power surge when plugged in at our sons...only 20amps and we had some pretty bad weather that evening. At least if it happens again I know how to reset it. Phil said if it does happen again they will order us a new thermostat.
Thank you Phil from the service dept at McGeorges Rolling Hills RV
glenda1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2013, 05:42 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenda1908 View Post
Just a little trouble shooting information.

Our thermostat on out Tour decided to "freeze up" last week. It may have been caused by a surge, really not sure, but it would not respond to any change when I pushed the buttons. Fortunately we were parked at our sons only a short distance to our dealer. I made a call as soon as the service dept. opened at 8:00 and they said bring her on over. The tech, Phil, came out to the coach and did a couple of tests and then decided to pull out the thermostat. There is a small screw under the bottom edge and then you can pull it out. I asked him to show me what he was doing and he showed me the two connections. One has a few pins, the other about nine. He said unplug the one with nine pins and let it reset. That's all it took. He said we could have had a power surge when plugged in at our sons...only 20amps and we had some pretty bad weather that evening. At least if it happens again I know how to reset it. Phil said if it does happen again they will order us a new thermostat.
Thank you Phil from the service dept at McGeorges Rolling Hills RV
glenda1908,
It's really good to know about events/issues that turn out with a happy ending here on the forum. It's also nice to know about good service establishments, techs and more. I don't know if you did or not but, it would have been nice of you to give a small token of appreciations/tip of some type, just to really show your gratitude. Just a suggestion here. We just had a bad experience with a Freightliner service Center ( I really hesitate to say the word "Service" here) in El Paso TX and would seriously not recommend it.

But, it's good to know about your situation. Glad that's all it was.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:16 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
glenda1908,
It's really good to know about events/issues that turn out with a happy ending here on the forum. It's also nice to know about good service establishments, techs and more. I don't know if you did or not but, it would have been nice of you to give a small token of appreciations/tip of some type, just to really show your gratitude. Just a suggestion here. We just had a bad experience with a Freightliner service Center ( I really hesitate to say the word "Service" here) in El Paso TX and would seriously not recommend it.

But, it's good to know about your situation. Glad that's all it was.
Scott

I can assure you we always "show" our appreciation for prompt and excellent service.
glenda1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:02 AM   #4

Removing the internal 2amp fuse for a few minutes will also reset the tstat.

I have been having the same issue since I replaced my overhead lights with LEDs. Happens on a fairly regular basis. I just added a snap on ferrite choke core to the plus 12v line (red wire on tstat pigtail). Will see if that solves the problem.

Tags
thermostat