Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-10-2018, 11:45 PM   #1

Red face True Level black Tank Sensor problem

OK, I'll start this out with a disclaimer.

This is not a Dirty tank issue. The tank Is clean, and the sensors are external to the tank. It also properly reads empty, 1/3 and full.

The problem is that the 2/3 led doesn't light at ANY time. Even when the tank is full. I have measured the voltages at the LEDs as soldered to the board. 2/3 led voltage is not there. Empty, 1/3 and full all have voltage to them and are illuminated.

I'm thinking the lm339 has failed, any other suggestions.

Thank You for any suggestions.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2018, 02:01 AM   #2

Black tank

We have a 20011 Sightseer . Call Winnebago customer service and they will give you a code to put in to reprogram to 1/4 1/2 3/4 and full. I called my dealer first and they told me what they did after 150 dollars bill call Winnie first. Hope this helps.
ct78barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 06:16 PM   #3

ct78barnes,
Thanks for your suggestion, however my tank level system is the older true level. No brains, just quad comparators. Here is an update,

I ordered a quad comparator on Amazon, Removed the original comparator chip from the board and soldered in the new one. Board now works. $7.50 on amazon for the chip (very high) $0.52 at mouser electronics, but then shipping is $5 and it takes a week. Guess I'll order 5 more when I place my next mouser order, just to have them on hand.

Have a great day.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:54 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Bill

I am kicking myself. Why didn't you post last month? I just installed a new $70 circuit board, when I could have done what you did.

Oh well, now I have a backup...

My issue was the grey tank always reading full, no matter what. Would that possibly be the comparator?
Old 04-19-2018, 11:59 AM   #5

danhannah,

Looking at the common circuitry for the red board (unable to find a real schematic) , the quad comparators are driving the led's. The only possible failure causes I could determine Is
1) failed sensor ( if your new board is functioning fine, that would rule that out)
2) failed input circuitry to the comaparator ( mostly discrete components, IE resistors.
3) failed comparator ( cheap, not hard to replace if some experience with electronics repair)

I would replace the comparator and see where that takes you. If I could find a good schematic for that specific board, it would e easier to diagnose.

Regards
Old 04-20-2018, 11:49 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Thank You. Good info! The new board fixed things.

When a quad comparator fails, could it fail so that all the LEDs are lit? Or would they all be dark?
Old 04-20-2018, 10:49 PM   #7

Without have a proper schematic, My analysis would be a guess. But I have found that mode a failure back when I was a repair tech For an industrial controls company.

The quad comparator has 8 inputs and does just what it's name implies. The voltage coming from the tank sensor is connected to 4 of the inputs and a reference voltage is applied to the other 4, each one of the reference voltages are different determined by the design of the sensor. Simple example would be reference voltages of 1v, 2v,3v,4v representing empty, 1/3, 2/3, full. If the comparator that is sensing full fails, it could indicate a false full and trigger a 4 leds. Again without a proper schematic this is all based on comparator design theory with some practical experience thrown in.
Old 04-21-2018, 12:12 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Thank You very much. I really like learning about these things.

I am going tot ry to fix my circuit board for a backup.
Old 04-21-2018, 09:07 PM   #9

Good luck. take your time. One suggestion I have and this is from my days when I used to replace chips all the time.

Use a good pair of electronic lead trimmers and cut the legs of the chip, right at the chip body. Then you can remove each leg one a a time. Lot easier than trying to pull the entire chip at once.
Old 04-21-2018, 10:47 PM   #10

Exclamation

Somewhet unrelated, since we dry camp 99.9% of the time, I got tired trying to decide within 25gal where the tanks really were, or what the heck is ‘E’ ? Is it really empty, or another 25 gal left?

I replaced it with a SeeLevel system.. One of the best upgrades for drycamping ever. Next time it breaks you might check them out

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 10:39 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks Jeff.

Did you do the install yourself, and if so, how difficult?

THANKS
Old 04-28-2018, 07:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhannah View Post
Thanks Jeff.

Did you do the install yourself, and if so, how difficult?

THANKS
Sorry, got distracted..

Yeah, I did it all myself. The Sensors stick to the tanks nicely, and I used the existing wiring. The panel mounted in the same space the lousy Winne monitor is in. It doesnt really take any electronic experience, but a little mechanical inclineness really helps

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 10:54 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks - good info!

Tags
black tank, tank