Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2007, 11:09 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

I have searched for some information on fixing our 2004 True Level tank monitoring system. I found the Sea Level mods. But has anyone done or considered doing the aftermarket installation of True Level Tank Monitoring using the Mirus detector cells that Winnebago has used since 2005? The Mirus cells and boards are supposed to be available from Winnebago dealers.

I saw this mod in the May 2005 Wit Club article.

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 04:12 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I considered doing the conversion to the True Level system on my coach, but then heard that owners with the "new" system after a year or so were having a lot of unreliable readings just like we have with the older systems, so decided not to do it. If I did a conversion, I believe I would go to a Sea Level system.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:56 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveG:
I have searched for some information on fixing our 2004 True Level tank monitoring system. I found the Sea Level mods. But has anyone done or considered doing the aftermarket installation of True Level Tank Monitoring using the Mirus detector cells that Winnebago has used since 2005? The Mirus cells and boards are supposed to be available from Winnebago dealers.

I saw this mod in the May 2005 Wit Club article.
I replaced the old Ventline system in my Sightseer with the TruLevel system in 2006. I bought it and installed while we were at the factory for warranty work.
The installation is very simple since the existing connectors and wires are used.
Getting access to the side of my grey water tank was a little bit of a challenge since an access panel had to be removed. There were about ten screws and the door lift pistons had to be removed so the door could be lifted up for access to the screws along the top. There is a very aggressive black sealant used on the panel and I found I had to pull the panel out and use shears to cut it.
The Ventline pc board is replaced with a new one but that's easy. The pc board connector plugged ito the new pc board and the new board mounted in the same place as the old one.
The old sensors just unplugged and the new ones plugged into the same connectors.

The bad news is that the system did not work properly on the black and grey tanks.
There was enough crud built up on the walls of the tank to fool the system.

Winnebago at no charge to me tried to fix the system - replaced the pc board, one set of sensors and checked the position of the sensor wiring (it's not supposed to be real close to metal) - all to no avail.

I decided to keep it although they offered to refund my money.

I pressure washed the black water tank and got it to work. I used various cleaners on the grey water tank and the last one - TSP - seemed to do the trick. (The "Geo" method did nothing.)

Now the bottom 1/3 LED still stays lit when the tanks are empty, but the most important ones work okay.
I have found that I need to add a cap of liquid Tide to the tanks after I empty them. That seems to keep them clean enough to work.
I don't add it to grey tank unless we are traveling since I leave it open while we are stopped. I use Tide because that's what DW uses and it's handy.

For what it's worth, my friend Bud bought another brand of system - I don't recall the name but it shows percent full - and he has the same problem with his
Old 09-21-2007, 06:09 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
I have searched for some information on fixing our 2004 True Level tank monitoring system. I found the Sea Level mods. But has anyone done or considered doing the aftermarket installation of True Level Tank Monitoring using the Mirus detector cells that Winnebago has used since 2005?
I converted to the True Level system in 2005 and have found the sensors much better especially the black tank, maybe because I always use the flush tank option. Occaisonally the grey tank shows 1/3 full when empty and since there is no flush option I found that driving a few miles with 1/4 - 1/2 tank of water in it sloshing around seems to clean the walls. I haven't had resort to ice cubes, detergent or other commonly recommended cleaning methods.
kellysrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 09:14 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Thanks for the feedback. I have also read that the Mirus cells and the SeaLevel system can be tricked by crud in the tank and that the tank still has to be kept cleaned. Maybe not quite as vunerable as the original sensors that are mounted inside the tank.

Other then the Catcon MicroPulse system that uses a pressure sensor, I am not aware of anyother products. I have not heard anything about the Catcon product.

Well I'll be making a decision soon as to which product to use as it would be helpful to be able to know tank levels.

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 05:45 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I purchased the new Red truLevel board and 3 sets of sensors from Winnebago via Mobility RV. The parts came with no instructions as per the placement of the 3 sensors on each tank. Two calls to Winnebago Tech service yielded no help in placement or in what order they need to be installed. (Cell with only one wire at top or bottom of tank and how far from the bottom & top of the tanks) Can someone describe or take picture of properly installed sensors. Thanks!
2000 Winnebago 35U, Ford Triton V10, F53 Chassis (39,000 miles). Toad: 2000 Honda Odyssey (384,000 Miles), Home Made Trac Bar, Firestone Ride Rites, 5 Star Performance Tune, Cheap Handling Fix, Magnum Auto-Start Generator kit, King Quest VQ4100 (Direct TV)
David Kanoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:12 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

My true level system has been working alot better than the old probe system so far (knock on wood)

I am a bit overboard cleaning and flushing at times so no crud gets a chance to build up
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 07:14 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally posted by David Kanoy:
I purchased the new Red truLevel board and 3 sets of sensors from Winnebago via Mobility RV. The parts came with no instructions as per the placement of the 3 sensors on each tank. Two calls to Winnebago Tech service yielded no help in placement or in what order they need to be installed. (Cell with only one wire at top or bottom of tank and how far from the bottom & top of the tanks) Can someone describe or take picture of properly installed sensors. Thanks!
On mine the sensor with the connector is the lowest one.
They are positioned in a diagonal line so there is a couple of inches of separation between them horizontally and vertically.
They are placed on the horizontal lines that you want for full, 2/3, and 1/3 readings.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:18 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Clay, Thanks for your info on the placement of the sensors. Now that I exactly know where they go, I'm going to install them this weekend.
I'm looking forward to finally having some guages that work.

David
2000 Winnebago 35U, Ford Triton V10, F53 Chassis (39,000 miles). Toad: 2000 Honda Odyssey (384,000 Miles), Home Made Trac Bar, Firestone Ride Rites, 5 Star Performance Tune, Cheap Handling Fix, Magnum Auto-Start Generator kit, King Quest VQ4100 (Direct TV)
David Kanoy is offline   Reply With Quote