Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2016, 07:02 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

TV

I have a 2004 Sightseer 30B with the original 24 inch picture tube TV. I am thinking to get a 1080 32 inch flat screen. I know it wont fit in the cut out and was wondering what some have used for a mount and where they secured it to so i wouldn't have to worry about it come crashing down. Thanks.
mazda2924x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 07:32 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

You should be able to find previous posts that have done remodes here. I have seen a few and they make storage out of the empty space they acquired .
steppinstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 08:16 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I screwed a piece of 1/2" plywood on the back side of the removable facia frame then bolted the tv mount to the plywood. Easy peezy. The 32" Samsung lcd tv doesn't weigh much and hasn't rattled or moved for the last 5 years. BTW,saved a lot of money buying the mount from Monoprice.
HUGHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 08:35 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Do a search for Sightseer tv replace and you will get some ideas. We did ours Nov of 2013 and I posted pictures of what we did. Some did the solid board, some a board on a hinge and I used a full motion mount attached to the metal frame work supporting the old tv. WE wanted to access that space for storage. Good luck
Old 10-28-2016, 11:53 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Many try to use the space behind the newer TV for storage so usually what people do is install a hinged 1/2" to 3/4" plywood door. With a finished side (cabinet plywood) that's stained a matching color to the wood in the room. Then attach an articulated arm assembly to the face of the door. Than to that, the TV is screwed.

Those articulated arms do loosen up so I added a strap to hold the TV while the RV is moving, so it's not swinging around. So securing the TV becomes another item to remember and add to the teardown list before travel.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 02:54 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

You can see pictures of my 32 inch TV installation HERE.

You can remove the oak frame around the TV by prying out the wood plugs (6 of them I think) and taking the Phillips head screws out.The TV is held in place by a strap arrangement. There are two nuts that must be removed to disassemble the strap. Not much access room so it took a while to unscrew the nuts - one on each side.
The TV weighs about 55 pounds so it might be good to have two people to take it out but I did it alone.

Winnebago uses a steel cage in the cabin area made of rectangular steel tubing. The steel framework for the overhead cabinet is attached to it.

I made two sides, top, back and bottom out of 3/4 inch plywood.
Probably overkill but I wanted 3/4 on the right side where I installed the articulating arm for strength and I just wanted to buy one sheet of plywood.

The arm is held with two 1/4 inch bolts with fender washers under the nuts. The top one goes through the steel framework Winnebago uses around the cabinet.
I put the back piece of plywood in last so it could be easily removed to have access to the area behind the cabinet to run wires to the electronics in the cabinets on each side. (5 disc DVD/CD/Mp3 player, BlueRay DVD player, satellite receiver, Wilson cellphone amplifier, Wilson Trucker cellphone antenna downlead coax, and and Verizon aircard).

Before installing the plywood pieces I covered them with laminate flooring left over from my flooring project. I stole that idea from pace89. If you search for his user name he has a good post showing what he did.

I had to trim about 1/4 inch off the cabinet doors on each side of the TV. A little Light Oak stain and some polyurethane varnish and you can't tell they were trimmed.

A couple of the pictures show what I used for the travel hold downs. I put some weather stripping on the back to protect the TV face.They (the pictures) aren't real good but they may help you get started and know what is behind the existing TV.

You can watch the TV fine with the hold downs in place so I don't remove them until we are stopped for a while and want access to the storage area.
Old 10-28-2016, 03:18 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Here's a link to the thread on my TV upgrade: Front LCD TV install in 2005 Vectra (Long)

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 04:14 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by steppinstone View Post
You should be able to find previous posts that have done remodes here. I have seen a few and they make storage out of the empty space they acquired .
This is what I did with the previous motor home. Since the new TV will be larger than the opening, I fabricated a door out of heavy fir plywood, stained it to match and hinged it. I bought an appropriate flat screen wall mount. I installed gas struts to hold the door open when I lifted it up. Gained a huge amount of storage space.
BVThunder is offline   Reply With Quote