Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2009, 10:24 AM   #1

Nor'easters Club
I just finished changing out the 27" Sony in the floor cabinet in my 38J.

It was not too dificult but slow going--having to improvise as I went along. First taking out the Sony was relatively easy. I had to remove all the siding from the cabinet below the tv to get at the back screw. Two front bolts on each side of the cabinet hold a side metal frame. Also three screws hold clips that secure the base of the tv. Removing these was easy. The tv (about 80 pounds) slides out. Get this monster into the house was the hardest part.

I purchased a 32" Sharp. its with is the same as the cabinet opening. I could have gone wider, since the cabinet has a couple of inches on the inside behind the side trim.

I bought a 2'x2' piece of 3/4" plywood and a Sanus fixed mount. The mounting holes on the Sharp are about 13" apart vertically so I needed the large mount.

I attached 2X4's to the top and bottom of the plywood with tech screws making a tight fit in the cabinet which is about 26.5" high.

My cabinet has storage below and above, so I can screw to the bottom 2x4 from below. The tv sits on 3/4 plywood in the cabinet. The top cabinet is angled. On the right corner I could get one screw down to the top of the 2X4 inside the cabinet. On the left side I ran a 2x4 outrigger back about 10" that I could hit with a screw from inside of the top cabinet on the lef. The outrigger makes things a little tricky, when sliding everything in.

I painted all the wood black, attached the mount, drilled a hole for the antenna in cable, which was a little short and slid in the wood.

I was able to connect the tv to the cables (including a new hdmi for blue-ray) and mount the tv on the bracket with my wood frame unattached and out of position. The sanus has a locking bar that I was able to slide in from the left side.

Next I positioned the whole assemble flush with the inside front of the side trim and screwed in the 2x4's.

I plan to add some trim to the bottom and nothing to the top. You end up with a couple of inches open top and bottom. Which is good since the manual buttons on the Sharp are at the top edge.

Sorry for the length of this but I hope it will help someone tackle a floor cabinet.

Lee
LeeBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2009, 10:29 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Are you talking about the floor to ceiling entertainment center. Here's what I did.
I tryed to put the pictures in but they didn't transfer. If you would like to see what I did, e-mail me and I'll forward pictures.

Well, we did it!! WOW!!
When the big 32" TUBE TV fell out of the cabinet while on vacation, we decided to upgrade to a 32" LCD Sharp flat panel TV, and at the same time, add alot more room to the living room. (Removed entire entertainment center) It was nice, but sure took up alot of space. These are Pic's of the before and after, and there are additional Pic's in the Photo's section. It really came out nice, and as you can see, in our case, it added alot more room.
Also added an extension to the overhead cabinet over the dinette to relocate the distribution box, switches, boost switch and all the other stuff. The frame around the new TV is the upper part of the original Ent. center, just cut and modified to work.
Also did the same for the bedroom TV, pictures upon request.

Enjoy.

David
2002 W-22 266"wb, Winnebago Chieftain 39T, UltraPower, Koni's, Helwig bars, Nuvi 660, Sirius, Scan Gauge II, Sentry TM. 2003 LW300 Saturn toad, Sterling towbar & Apollo brake. And Hannah the Princess and Stevie the Dude!
Daysu47 is offline   Reply With Quote