Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2008, 03:02 AM   #21
Winnebago Owner

On this issue, you'd be amazed to look at TVs currently for sale everywhere. The vast majority of non-HD TVs are still being sold with analog receivers. Talk about crazy.

We bought two of the boxes, even though we have satellite. Since we're not full-timers, we've not been able to take advantage of DNS from DTV (long story, and we had it for one trip, but no longer) and use the antenna for network TV most of the places we stay. We rarely stay anyplace with cable, and some of our favorite places are too shaded to work with the satellite.

We've installed the front box, and are amazed at the quality of the picture, at least equal to DTV. Trying to figure out how to handle the rear TV since there is no good place to mount the box.

Janjanjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 11:14 AM   #22
Winnebago Camper

I have been told that if you have a dvd player that is digital that you will be able to watch tv thru the dvd player. If you do not have a dvd player, maybe that would be an easier and cheaper installation than buying the converter. Just a thought and probably worth looking into...
west04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:45 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by west04:
I have been told that if you have a dvd player that is digital that you will be able to watch tv thru the dvd player. If you do not have a dvd player, maybe that would be an easier and cheaper installation than buying the converter. Just a thought and probably worth looking into... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whoever told you that is just wrong. A DVD player will do you absolutely no good when it comes to receiving ATSC (Digital) over the air transmissions. No good at all.

joe
Old 07-07-2008, 03:22 PM   #24

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FlyingDiver:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by west04:
I have been told that if you have a dvd player that is digital that you will be able to watch tv thru the dvd player. If you do not have a dvd player, maybe that would be an easier and cheaper installation than buying the converter. Just a thought and probably worth looking into... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whoever told you that is just wrong. A DVD player will do you absolutely no good when it comes to receiving ATSC (Digital) over the air transmissions. No good at all.

joe </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And another interesting note: my DVD/VHS surround sound system went bad, so I recently bought a new DVD/VHS player (no surround sound this time) and got a surprise... all the models that I looked at no longer have a T.V. tuner inside, so there is no input or output using a coax cable. You can't use a standard 'cable T.V.' cable anymore! Not a problem at home, since you can buy a tuner box but in an RV, that's one more box in the video area and it needs 110v power. If you see the 'old' version on sale, you just might want to buy a spare for that RV!
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 03:33 PM   #25
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Richard 34A:
And another interesting note: my DVD/VHS surround sound system went bad, so I recently bought a new DVD/VHS player (no surround sound this time) and got a surprise... all the models that I looked at no longer have a T.V. tuner inside, so there is no input or output using a coax cable. You can't use a standard 'cable T.V.' cable anymore! Not a problem at home, since you can buy a tuner box but in an RV, that's one more box in the video area and it needs 110v power. If you see the 'old' version on sale, you just might want to buy a spare for that RV! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you're using it to record from analog cable, that might be a good idea. But if you're using it to watch to record over the air TV, it'll do you no good come February.

joe
Old 07-08-2008, 08:42 AM   #26
Winnebago Owner

Some of the newer DVD/VHS recorders do have a ATSC (digital) tuner, however, they cost way more than the DTV boxes, especially if you can use the $40.00 coupon.

Savannah, GA
Don-Savannah, GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 02:23 PM   #27
Winnebago Master

I recently saw a digital dvd recorder at either kmart or wally world in hawaii for $80.
using the coupons, i already have 2 analog passthrough converter boxes.
the vhs vcr records gibberish when the converter box is on. other than that and some signal loss when the box is off, the boxes work ok.
before feb 09 i will have to buy a digital dvd recorder.
i have been told that the government has a limited number of $40 coupons. if you want yours, you would do well to order them either by phone or on the web today. i understand there is about a 3 month wait for mail delivery after you order. they will not send them to po boxes. you gotta have a stick house or business address.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 04:27 PM   #28
Winnebago Owner

Okay, so now we know that alot of us don't have digital tuner TV's. My question is where do you mount the converter, when all the controls and TV's are built into the cabintry? There is no easy access to the back of the TV or the switch box. Any suggestions?
Old 07-10-2008, 01:17 AM   #29
Winnebago Master

MY MAGNAVOX digital converter box tb100mg9 with ANALOG PASSTHROUGH (very important) is small: approx 9.5x6x1.5 inches. it weighs approx 1.5 lbs.
in my moho, it resides in the cabinet above the copilots seat on top of the vcr. I used 1 small velcro strip to attach it. the antenna in hooks up to the box input, the vcr in hooks up to the box output. it also has the 3 wire rca composite hookups which i don't use in the moho. it draws 8 watts ac power. i installed a power strip to power it, the front tv, and the vcr from the inverter.
if i wanted to watch a different station at the same time that my dw was watching DIGITAL in front, i would need another digital converter box (with analog passthrough) hooked up to the back tv.
with 1 box, we have to watch the same programs front and rear IF the box is turned on. clear as mud? it comes with a 32 page manual in english and spanish.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:08 AM   #30
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Janjanjan:

We've installed the front box, and are amazed at the quality of the picture, at least equal to DTV. Trying to figure out how to handle the rear TV since there is no good place to mount the box. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I haven't installed mine yet, so maybe I'm confused. I thought that since both front and back tv share the same antenna, that one box would work for both of them. Is this not the case?
Indy Itasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:35 AM   #31
Winnebago Camper

You could share one box for front and back, as long as you want to watch the same channel on both. If you want to watch different ones, you need a converter box (aka Digital tuner) for each.

joe
Old 07-11-2008, 02:57 PM   #32
Winnebago Owner

The bigger problem isn't watching 2 different channels; it's the ability to use the remote control. With the converter box in the right hand cabinet, you can't use the remote control for volume/channel/on/off control.

Janjanjan is offline   Reply With Quote