Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2007, 10:59 AM   #1

Another "newbie who couldn't find the answer when doing a seach" question. *hangs head in shame*

So let's say we're at a rest stop and want to use our laptop computer (that btw has a very small capacity battery). When our battery on the laptop finally dies, we'd like to plug it in to an outlet to get power. We'd like to do this while on the inverter as we assume that the power used by the laptop will be very little.

However, none of the outlets work on the inverter as we can see. The only way we're able to continue to use the computer is if we fire up the generator. It seems like such a waste to use the generator for just the laptop.

What do you do in the situation described?

The only other alternative is to buy an adapter for the laptop and then plug it into the cigarette lighter ...if that is even working on the inverter, is it?
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 10:59 AM   #2

Another "newbie who couldn't find the answer when doing a seach" question. *hangs head in shame*

So let's say we're at a rest stop and want to use our laptop computer (that btw has a very small capacity battery). When our battery on the laptop finally dies, we'd like to plug it in to an outlet to get power. We'd like to do this while on the inverter as we assume that the power used by the laptop will be very little.

However, none of the outlets work on the inverter as we can see. The only way we're able to continue to use the computer is if we fire up the generator. It seems like such a waste to use the generator for just the laptop.

What do you do in the situation described?

The only other alternative is to buy an adapter for the laptop and then plug it into the cigarette lighter ...if that is even working on the inverter, is it?
Old 11-30-2007, 11:11 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Amanda, need a little more info. Do you have the Dimentions Inverter? Is it turned on at the one place power center? If it is indeed enabled, some of the outlets should be working.

07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 11:19 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

It might just be easier to buy a cheap inverter that plugs into the 12 volt. They cost between $20 to 40 for one that will work a laptop. Sam's Club always has them. An adapter for the laptop would be around $100!
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 11:21 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Amanda, I just came back from a trip where several days (without shore power) I charged my laptop with the camper inverter; had no trouble. The camper (bigfoot) has solar panel and thus the camper batteries were always up to charge. Our inverter has a fairly large capacity...we would make coffee in the morning with the coffee with power coming from the inverter.

By the way we got excellent broadband service (in FL and GA) using Verizon air card modem.
Hemi
Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 11:39 AM   #6

Chief-- *bonks self upside the head* Oh dear! I am stupid!! Both of us thought that the inverter was automatically on. We never thought that we had to actually turn it on at the control center! Oh, how embarrassing! Thank you so much, Chief!

Ed-- Yes, that was the alternative we thought we'd try because we did see how expensive an adapter for the computer would be. Thanks!

Hemi-- Thank you for your response. Yes, we were wondering if we could make coffee if we could figure out which outlets worked. We couldn't find any that worked but now we know they weren't working because we hadn't turned on the inverter!!! *sheesh* Oh, and yeah, we have the Sprint card and in most major population centers, we get good EVDO speeds. We rarely find a spot where we can't at least get a 1xRTT signal. Thanks!
Old 11-30-2007, 02:31 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Cousin Ed:
It might just be easier to buy a cheap inverter that plugs into the 12 volt. They cost between $20 to 40 for one that will work a laptop. Sam's Club always has them. An adapter for the laptop would be around $100! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

For me it would be a lot easier to use the inverter built into the coach.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 02:47 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Glad you discovered the inverter on/off solution, don't be embarrassed, there is a huge learning curve on all RV's! One tip from me... always check your circuit breakers (I am assuming you have circuit breakers in your rig)... can't tell you how many times something wasn't working (outlets, sound on TV, coffee maker) when I found that the issue was a tripped circuit breaker.

Brenda, of...
Old 11-30-2007, 03:23 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

We gotta get you out doin some boondockin'. All these little issues will appear and be resolved in one day..

The Dimensions will run the inverter and the laptop just fine, but as mentioned is complete overkill. The big problem running the inverter with that tiny load is that the idle current of the inverter equals or exceeds the current draw of the laptop. In laymans terms: With the draw of the interter and the draw of laptop (through the interter) on the battery to run just the laptop, is twice what it really is from the laptop alone. Is that confusing?

SO..
Go to Walmart, Pepboys, etc. and get yourself a little 150W (or so, but this is safe) plug-in inverter just for the laptop. You can plug it in either next to the table or by the recliner next to the front passenger seat. I carry two of them.

(edit) I assume that yours is the same as ours in that all outlets route through the inverter INCLUDING the fridge. No big deal, but remember to switch it to propane when you're dry camping or you will kill the batteries in about 6-8hrs. Also as pointed out above, shut off the inverter when not in use and not hooked up. The idle current of the inverter is around 3A if I remember. Not a lot, but it all adds up.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 03:57 PM   #10

Tom-- When you say it would be a lot easier to use the inverter built into the coach, is that opposed to going out and buying an adapter? Thanks.

Brenda-- Thanks for the tip about the circuit breakers. That's something I can see myself forgetting to do. Thanks.

Jeff-- Ok, so what you described is harmful to the laptop or harmful to the coach's inverter? It is overkill to turn on the inverter to run the laptop? ...like it's overkill to run the generator to use the laptop. So it's not harming anything just using resources that aren't necessary?

And is this 150w plug-in inverter being run through the cigarette-lighter-thingie? Are those activated through the coach's inverter or do they run directly off the batteries?

I'm ssssooo confused!
Old 11-30-2007, 04:26 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

No harm to anything, whatever you choose to do. The house inverter draws considerably more current than the small one if all you want to do is run the laptop. I just looked up my data.. The house inverter, no load, draws 2.92A. The little 150W plug-in. no load, draws 100Ma. That's 1/10 of an amp, where the house unit draws just shy of x30 that.

The little inverters plug into the cig plug straight off the batteries. They're handy to have around as opposed to buying a converter specifically for the laptop in that you can charge a shaver, run a small TV, fan, CPAP, etc.

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 11-30-2007, 04:38 PM   #12

Ah, ok, I think I've got it. So turning on the inverter to run the laptop is overkill in that it is running down the house batteries faster than really is necessary by just using the laptop and nothing else?

But at a rest stop of a couple of hours, we can turn on the coach inverter and use the laptop with no problem as once we are underway, the house batteries get charged back up?

Or is that true? Does the engine charge the house batteries too? ...or are they only charged through the solar charger and shore power?

Oh, is this the kind of thing you're referring to?:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/zoom/zoompop.asp?i=92233...=&nv=&c=&adid=187235
Old 11-30-2007, 05:14 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by amanda_h:
Ah, ok, I think I've got it. So turning on the inverter to run the laptop is overkill in that it is running down the house batteries faster than really is necessary by just using the laptop and nothing else? CORRECT

But at a rest stop of a couple of hours, we can turn on the coach inverter and use the laptop with no problem as once we are underway, the house batteries get charged back up? CORRECT

Or is that true? Does the engine charge the house batteries too? ...or are they only charged through the solar charger and shore power? They should charge off the engine, although the battery and solar geeks often remove this and opt for more charge control

Oh, is this the kind of thing you're referring to?:YEP!

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/zoom/zoompop.asp?i=92233...=&nv=&c=&adid=187235 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 12-01-2007, 02:20 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SCVJeff:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by amanda_h:
Ah, ok, I think I've got it. So turning on the inverter to run the laptop is overkill in that it is running down the house batteries faster than really is necessary by just using the laptop and nothing else? CORRECT

But at a rest stop of a couple of hours, we can turn on the coach inverter and use the laptop with no problem as once we are underway, the house batteries get charged back up? CORRECT

Or is that true? Does the engine charge the house batteries too? ...or are they only charged through the solar charger and shore power? They should charge off the engine, although the battery and solar geeks often remove this and opt for more charge control

Oh, is this the kind of thing you're referring to?:YEP!

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/zoom/zoompop.asp?i=92233...=&nv=&c=&adid=187235 </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When you are driving the coach and house batteries both get charged by the alternator so you will not run your batteries dead running the inverter. You will be putting hours on the inverter which will eventually wear out. My inverter stopped putting out power clean enough to run my laptop a short while ago. It will still run the TV and entertainment center but will not run any computer that we plug in any more.

Now I need to repair or replace my built in inverter and will be looking for a separate plug-in inverter (a variation of what you linked to) to run the laptop with GPS while on the road.

That ocilliscope that we gave away would have come in handy to verify the waveform. Maybe I'll take a stab at it and try to fix it myself. It is usually just a capacitor gone bad when this happens but then again how much life will the old inverter have left in it.

Anyway I would have saved myself this by using a separate inverter for running just the laptop.

On thing to note is that battery chargers and inverters don't always get along very well so we are taking a chance when we plug a laptop in as it is a battery charger also.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:22 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

SCVJEFF: Your advice on the little 400-800 watt inverters is excellent advice. I use them to run my wifes medical equipment while on the road. I do not have the big inverter built in,(do have one for the TV and VCR). Running the generator is ok for large loads but a total waste for small watt consuming items, like lap tops and medical equipment.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 04:39 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Amanda:
If that's the worst you'll have happen to you, you're a lucky person.

The idea is that an inverter uses battery power, even if the inverter isn't powering anything. Good way to conserve battery power is to not run the inverter unless needed.
gunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 11:36 AM   #17
Winnie-Wise

We have a little 300 watt inverter permanently mounted by the factory on our Adventurer. Someone on here suggested running a little 18" extension cord from the duplex that is already on the back of the inverter out into the overhead cabinet. Works great. Sorry I can't find the original thread to give the poster proper credit.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 12:17 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Neil: The inverter being a solid-state device will last as long as any other solid-state device. Electrolytic caps dry out on all electronic equipment (usually much later than sooner), and Tantalum caps short and blow up (but rarely). 99% of the time this is component failure. There are some instances where the equipment design called for the wrong component or the manfacturer cheaped from the design spec.

I have a couple of 20A IBM power supplies that were removed from service in the 70's, I bought them surplus, and they're still running today. The inverter is a solid-state device, no moving parts, fully cooled, and there is no reason it won't outlast the coach itself.

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 12-01-2007, 01:04 PM   #19

Thanks for the additional comments, everybody!

Ok, now ...Jeff or anybody else who cares to answer:

I've been looking online for a cigarette-lighter-type inverter. Jeff says 150w "is safe" but what I'm finding is that some of the 300w ones are about the same price.

I need an explanation of "wattage" please.

What difference will it make or consequences we might encounter if we used a 300w inverter as opposed to a 150w one?

Again, sorry for such elementary questions. Thanks.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:58 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

I doubt if you will find anything above 150W in a all-in-one package with the plug. Anything above this will have an external cord with battery clips due to current demands.

When I said "safe", I meant it from two directions:
1- That you won't overload or burn out the inverter. I managed to toast a 100W inverter a while back with my new super-go-fast PC trying to use it and charge up it's dead battery at the same time.

2- That, even though a 150W inverter at full load is really pushing the wall socket, it tops out at 12A or so. This will power and charge the PC no problem, and taper off as the PC picks up a charge.

I've used my 150W to power/ charge laptops at the dinette and by the front rocker with no signs of smoke yet

Jeff - WA6EQU