Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2018, 10:24 PM   #1

V6 4Runner Pulling 3900lbs dry weight trailer?

I have a 2016 4Runner SR5 with a 4 liter V6 and tow rating of 5000lbs and tongue weight limit of 500lbs. I've been looking at the Winnebago 2108DS TT, which has a dry weight of 3900lbs. I can't get a straight answer regarding whether or not I can pull this trailer successfully and safely. The RV dealership says that I would have to sign a waiver in order to pull this trailer off of their lot with my 4Runner- which is a bit scary...

Does anybody have experience with a similar combination?
sgtstriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2018, 08:18 AM   #2

What's the dry tongue weight of the trailer??? If the trailer weighs 3,900 and you're rated for 5,000 lb's and you're under the recommended tongue weight, they have no right telling you that you need to sign a waiver. The problem isn't at the dealership. It's at home once you load up the trailer and exceed the 5,000 lb's and have a greater tongue weight. The other issue will be the mirrors. The 4Runner is a narrow vehicle and you'll need to buy mirror extensions so you can see down the sides of the trailer when towing.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 02:18 PM   #3

Thanks.. I am aware of those issues. I was hoping that somebody with a 4Runner and pulling around 5000# would be able to assure me that the combination is doable... Or, somebody that has tried tells me that it is out of the picture.

P.S. USN '71-'75 Law Enforcement 1979-2010.... Thanks for your service...
Old 11-26-2018, 06:45 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think your issue is going to be the 500 lb tongue weight limit. Generally with travel trailers you need 10-15% of the total weight on the tongue in order to prevent the dreaded "tail wagging the dog". So its possible you could go over the tongue weight limit before you put anything into the trailer. I'd step back and consider how much a truck upgrade will cost you.
paddler1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 01:34 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Other things to consider, were you going to have them install a Weight Distribution Hitch? What about a Trailer brake controller, Towing mirrors?
Is the installed receiver a 5klb class 3 hitch?
Are all of these part of the package? IF they are not installed prior to TT pickup then I sort of agree with the Dealership because your Tow vehicle is not setup to properly tow the TT.
Now if all of that is already taken care of, then there is the part about you overloading the TT once you get it home.
Personally you are going to be very upset with the MPG's and the lack of power from the engine when towing that TT. I'm not saying it won't do it. I'm saying it and you won't be happy
Old 11-28-2018, 09:41 AM   #6

I know this doesn't answer your question, but my rule of thumb is to error on the side of overkill.

Before moving to a motor home my tow vehicle was a K3500 w/8.1L. It would tow just about anything except the largest full time rigs.

BTW you should be fine with the V6 but performance will suffer. As long as you don't overload and drive a lot of steep mountain roads you will be Ok. Make sure you have the proper class 3 hitch.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:53 AM   #7

I appreciate these responses, although I have been hoping to hear from someone that is actually towing a 5000 lbs. trailer with a V6 4Runner. Having not heard from any leads me to believe that it is not a common practice, and perhaps not a wise one......
Old 12-16-2018, 11:45 AM   #8

V6 4Runner

I have a V6 4Runner, and have pulled a box trailer loaded to a bit over 5k lbs. It did it OK, but was not real happy. I used an equalizer hitch, which I consider mandatory and was only going a few hundred miles. The problem towing a camper, it will NEVER be 3900 lbs. Everything you load adds up, quickly.
Can you do it? Yes. The V8 version is rated at 7k lbs, same chassis. Just go at a reasonable speed, use an equalizer hitch and a good brake controller and watch what you load - you won't need your weight lifting stuff in the woods.
blevtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 11:04 PM   #9

Good to hear from somebody with a V6 4Runner, and towing experience. Thank you... I'm still skiddish, but paralysis by analysis is getting me nowhere...
My class A is killing me with repair costs, so I guess I should just go for it, and again learn by experience - one way or the other....

Tags
trailer, weight