Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-22-2008, 05:35 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Has anybody had a heater core failure in a 2004 or newer Vectra or Horizon? Mine just started leaking coolant from the seam of the A/C & heater shroud inside the front hood. I closed the two yellow shutoff valves back at the driver's side of the engine, but I haven't had a chance to try to open things up an figure out just what's leaking. Unlike the Journey, it looks like it should be accessible through the front hood opening without having to remove the front cap!

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 05:35 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Has anybody had a heater core failure in a 2004 or newer Vectra or Horizon? Mine just started leaking coolant from the seam of the A/C & heater shroud inside the front hood. I closed the two yellow shutoff valves back at the driver's side of the engine, but I haven't had a chance to try to open things up an figure out just what's leaking. Unlike the Journey, it looks like it should be accessible through the front hood opening without having to remove the front cap!

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 06:04 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Had the heater core fail at 4yrs and 40k miles in our 2001 Horizion. If I had to come up with cause I would say it was electrolysis from sitting in water after driving with a/c on then parking. Put two small drain holes in heater box when new core was put in also run fan on high for five min. with a/c off to help dryout core before parking. so far new core has been ok for the past 4 yrs. Time will tell Hope this helps
Old 09-23-2008, 03:13 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Mine failed too about 4 years ago. Had a dealer replace it. No problems since then. Don't know why it failed. The bigger problem was that when the dealer got into the dash to do the fix they cut, broke or pulled loose wires and really messed up a lot of stuff. For example, the back up camera wouldn't work unless the a/c was on! It took 3 trips back to get the stuff they damaged fixed correctly.
LV Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 06:08 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

When my core failed on my 02 Journey, manufacturer tech told me to ground the core to prevent electrolysis..I installed a ground wire on one of the 2 nipples with a hose clamp and all all has been well since....RKL
RKL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 03:41 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Chris - knock on plastic.. ours is fine so far.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 11:37 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I have my heater core trip emergency kit ready, a 5/8 by 5/8 brass barbed splicer and two hose clamps; ready to eliminate the core at the heater hose ends under the front hood.

That 4 year mark for the heater core shelf life is closer than I like to think.
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 05:13 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Gary Ca....smart move..I have done the same and even installed NAPA shut off valves in each line going to the heater core to prevent me burning myself...this way I can shut off both lines till they cool enough to reroute to bypass.....RKL
RKL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 02:41 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

The heater core went on my 02 Journey after 2 years. I grounded it by loosing a inlet clamp and putting a ground wire onto the inlet. No problems in the last 4 years.
charles tuit is offline   Reply With Quote