Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2011, 02:05 PM   #1

Vectra slide retraction problem

Hello all,

I have a 2004 Vectra 40AD. We have had the coach for 6 months now and are currently just outside of Woodland Park CO. and planned on heading to Dallas this coming week (warmer climate).
This past week I attempted to retract the left front slide and it got half way in and stopped dead. I could still hear the hydraulic pump running, it was as if the slide was hanging up on something. I checked the fluid level with all jacks and all the slides fully retracted ( the problem slide retracted as far as it will go in) and the fluid level is good.
I inspected inside and out and have not found anything which would physicallyhinder it from retracting. The nylon bushings appear in need of replacement(some are breaking) but other than that all looks ok. I attempted to use the ratchet wrench and the retracting bolts to get it in for the journey to Dallas to no avail. In fact I ended up breaking the rear bolt head off about an inch and a half in.
Before I call a mobile RV mechanic was hoping and praying someone would have a DIY solution. We are on a shoestring budget right now so money for repairs is an issue. I just need to get it fully retracted for the journey and once in Dallas we can then look at a propper repair and bushing replacement.

Thank You.
Rev. Tom

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2011, 06:50 PM   #2

Your best bet is to call HWH. They can usually talk you through a solution on the phone. When my slides went halfway in in Florida this past year it was a result of a bad shuttle valve. You can work your way out of this using HWH advice. In my case, I retracted the jacks. Then I took a cap off the T fitting on the top of a Jack. Put this cap on the pressure switch connection on top of the HWH manifold. You will have to remove the little U tube at the pressure switch. Once you have the cap in place try to retract your slide. Good Luck, HWH is really helpful.

BBBEEBOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:08 PM   #3

Thank you for your help.
I will call HWH first thing Monday morning and let you know how it turns out.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:55 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As mentioned call HWH. You will require patience and persistence as they are probably swamped after a holiday weekend. If you need to take it someplace you can relieve the pressure by following the directions in your manual and turning the "t" handle valves and cranking it in. Sounds like the infamous "shuttle valve" to me. A new one is not that expensive and easy to replace. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:57 PM   #5

Air Pressure

I had the same problem a few years ago. I was able to push it in and head directly to HWH. They are excellent. The nylon pads had all failed.
Another thought. Make sure you have windows open whenever you open of close the slides. You would be surprised how much air pressure builds up and prevnts the slide from closing quickly. Good luck.

Don Thimas
2004 Vectra 40AD

2004 Vectra 40AD
VectraDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:22 PM   #6

Thanks everyone.
I called HWH today and they called back late this afternoon. The Tech. (Frank) advised me on a possible temperary solution which I will try in the morning (too dark and too cold after I got off the phone with him).
I will keep you posted.

Thanks again,

Tags
slide