Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2013, 06:47 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Via verses View

What is the difference between these motorhomes? Both one Mercedes chassis. One looks like a class c and the other a A.

Which is more popular?

Steve
bigdomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 01:11 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Via/View

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdomino View Post
What is the difference between these motorhomes? Both one Mercedes chassis. One looks like a class c and the other a A.

Which is more popular?

Steve
You are absolutely correct. The View is a class C and has been out since 2005, with lots of updates. Can have a bed in rear corner, and a cab over bed. Front chairs not a part of the living room.

The Via is newer, since 2010, if I remember correctly. Same chassis. But a class A. Front seats are part of the living room. Can have a drop down bed over front seats. Can even have twin beds in rear, if you want. Lots more room inside, a little larger, a little less mpg, and a lot more $$.

GL Arnold
Old 08-13-2013, 01:55 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Via/View

Also, Via has more standard features that are optional on the View. That accounts for some of the base cost differences.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:00 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

How well will these rigs pull a Handa CRV? I have a 40 foot Monaco and I am considering moving to something smaller. We were full timers and now own a condo and will travel much less.

Honda is 3500 pounds. How well will it stop with the car attached? My Monaco has an exhaust break and is much used. What about these rigs?

Steve
bigdomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:53 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdomino View Post
How well will these rigs pull a Handa CRV? I have a 40 foot Monaco and I am considering moving to something smaller. We were full timers and now own a condo and will travel much less.

Honda is 3500 pounds. How well will it stop with the car attached? My Monaco has an exhaust break and is much used. What about these rigs?
Hi Steve;
The View is rated to tow 5000 pounds (I am guessing the Via is the same) and I have seen several people towing small cars with them. I would make sure your towed has auxiliary braking to help stop when needed.
These units get excellent fuel mileage compared to the DP but they are a lot smaller inside.
We had a Navion (same as View) with the corner bed. We loved it, it was very functional but the bed is hard to get out of in the middle of the night without disturbing your partner. The unit seemed to have just enough room for everything you need to do but it sure doesn't have the extra stretch out space of a 40 foot DP.
Norm Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 01:43 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Watch out for the GVW on the Via. It uses the same chassis as the View. Doesn't have much reserve weight capacity.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:47 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Fuel capacity and towing

Had 2009 navion bought new.

Liked size.

Serious problem with very small fuel tank.

24 gallons if I recall.! I think this is the standard on sprinter chassis.

Also pulled trailer at about 3000 lbs weight.

Was down to 20 mph on hills!

This was our 5 or 6 powered rv. First diesel.

We sold after 6 months and went to true dp.

You might check out the new group of 34 ft dp on market?!

So-- just carefully review your needs.

Coming from large dp you will need to reset your towing and fuel strategy with a sprinter based unit.

Tom Volk
tvolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:11 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Tow capacity on Via is 5000 lbs (at least for 2014, not certain about earlier). The CCC is greater on the Via.