RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2018, 01:12 PM   #1

View 24D Fridge Question

We just purchased a 2019 Winnie C Class View 24D with a Norcold residential fridge. The coach has two solar panels on the roof for the stock house batteries. The question is: If we stop overnight at a truck stop where no shore power is available will the fridge keep running on house power alone for the evening or do I have to run the generator for the night?

Chemosavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2018, 01:29 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
The fridge will continue to run off your house batteries. If you are planning to do more than an overnight stop once in a while, there are some changes you should probably do - bigger batteries, another panel on the roof, etc.

luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 01:58 PM   #3

Won't the fridge run off of propane also?
Yamxer438 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 03:00 PM   #4

IS this a DE-0061/EV-0061 Model?

Is it wired for AC & DC Power Supply ---or just AC?

Is it wired to have inverter supply AC Power?

120V AC---0.4A draw
12V DC----3.2A draw

Overnight....OK
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 08:34 PM   #5

OP said 'residential' refer so it won't work on anything but solar, batteries, and an inverter.

My suggestion is that you not worry about it too much because a modern residential refer in a RV will hold it's cold for many hours without power at all. Overnight shouldn't be a problem holding it's cold. Even in the summer...probably.

But I suggest you test that hypothesis too. Just to be aware of how long it will hold the cold.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 07:19 AM   #6

The OP said "2019 View 24 D". That is a DE0061 refrigerator and is not a residential refrigerator but a modified marine unit. The good news is early purchasers of the V24D model in '18 and '19 had problems which I think have been solved by WGO and Norcold finding the root cause of the issue. If this is a later '19 model the unit should run overnight off his batteries. BTW, as shipped from WGO the View has no AC power to the refrigerator, it is 12VDC operation only. Reports are the refrigerator will run overnight on the OEM batteries now with the fix (removal of a bad fuse holder on the fridge, red wire on top, simple). The inverter has no play in operation as shipped by WGO.
Old 10-29-2018, 03:49 PM   #7

View 24D Fridge Question

Thanks so much for the responses. I will check the date of the fridge. So, it looks like I can get through one night without issues. Don't really intend on boon docking for extended time.
Chemosavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:07 AM   #8

Canít run refer on DC

I upped my solar panels to 440 W and changed out batteries to AGM 210 amp hours. First trip I found out I cannot switch to house batteries with engine off to run refer... does anyone have a fix or know why?
Napajohn07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napajohn07 View Post
I upped my solar panels to 440 W and changed out batteries to AGM 210 amp hours. First trip I found out I cannot switch to house batteries with engine off to run refer... does anyone have a fix or know why?
In many RVs there's a single, or set of switches that are often called Saleman's switches. They disconnect sections of the RV from battery so idle draws on the batteries are reduced when it's stored.

So check if you have one of those and make sure it's on. My switch is on the dash, right where I often bump it to Off accidentally. It's called the AUX switch on my dash. And it needs to be ON for most normal operation or travel situations.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 08:49 AM   #10

Thanks Jim.. I do not have one of those switches. I only have a house battery disconnect switch.. norcold told me yesterday that model , N3150, is designed to only run off of DC while the engine is running. So now I am looking for a workaround with the wiring now that I have adequate house battery capacity and solar capacity...
Old 12-07-2018, 09:16 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napajohn07 View Post
Thanks Jim.. I do not have one of those switches. I only have a house battery disconnect switch.. norcold told me yesterday that model , N3150, is designed to only run off of DC while the engine is running. So now I am looking for a workaround with the wiring now that I have adequate house battery capacity and solar capacity...
You have a gas absorption refrigerator which works by heating a gas. It will run fine on propane, shore power/generator, and 12V with the engine running. You do not want to run it on 12V without the engine running as you have far better sources of heat (120V, propane) to make it operate.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 03:15 PM   #12

thanks mucho... my goal was to cut down on Propane useage. i have a propane gen set so running the refer, charging batteries, etc, why boondocking was using 1 gallon a day!! to top that off, i live and Baja and finding propane is not always that simple. the increases solar has elminated running the genny to charge batteries but would like to run the refer on the AGM's when i get low on propane... john

Tags
fridge