Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2019, 06:28 AM   #225

Will go with the 3 way....

Thanks for the feed back.
We will definitely go with the 3 way fridge and choose the Tiffin Wayfarer if Winnebago cannot provide the option. It is a shame as we prefered the Winnebago layout,
especially for the kitchen counter. But we don't want the aggravation of dealing with a manufacturer and distributors not focussed on delivering a properly working RV.
Safe travel.
QUOTE=youracman;4648270]I am considering switching from my (working 12-yr-old) Norcold absorption unit to the fridge you are asking about. I had a question regarding how much solar I would likely need to offset the 12v fridge use and posted over on the "Winnie Owners Forum"; I got info re solar and I also got 2 comments about noise ..... which are likely of interest to you:

(1) "We had the Norcold DE-0061 AC/DC compressor refrigerator in our 2018 View 24D and it was one of the top reasons that we sold that unit. The refrigerator ran 24 hours a day and was loud, mostly considering that it was right at our feet when sleeping on the Murphy bed. The compressor would run for 5 minutes and then shut off for 2 minutes and then repeat (forever). We had it in the shop 3 times. The first two times because it didn't cool properly. Eventually they told us that the noise was "just the way it was" and we'd have to live with it. WRONG!

We love the absorption units due to how quiet they are and how reliable they have proven in all the campers and RV's that have been built for decades. The only issue we had in the past with them was the requirement of being level. But in our new Vista 29VE, we have hydraulic jacks so we never worry about being level.

Check the View/Navion forums to see all the problems that people have had / are having with this unit."

(2) Another poster said they never hear it and it performs very well; cooled down quickly; and that it keeps their food cold and the freezer near zero.

Conflicting data perhaps, but I am thinking the location of the fridge is probably a major factor re noise? Dunno.

Good luck with your decision ..... and safe travels[/QUOTE]
Michel Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2019, 06:47 AM   #226

The main reason I bought a WB instead of a Tiffin was the weight of the Tiffin. They are all close but You end up limited on what you can tow if that is your plan. I also liked that electric Murphy bed!
You owe it to yourself to talk to the FACTORY about the refer issue. Pretty sure it has been resolved since my unit was built AFTER the dates on the first thread I read about exactly what the fix was. Mine had the fix..

If you are tripping on the refer noise, there are other "noises" as well, such as the Tankless water heater and the water pump....different threads though.
I saw a video produced by Lichstien testing JUST the solar panels on a D running the refer. It stayed upper 30's and -4 for 4 days in avg 80degree temps just sitting on their lot in Iowa.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:21 PM   #227

First, the video posted on Lichtsinn has been debunked and misrepresents all but the latest models of the 24D. It does not and never has worked for the '18 models in that fashion. The newest releases of the 24D are reported to run the refer fine overnight on the OEM batteries with the latest mods to the refer. The thing about solar is that it is solar - it just might rain for those four days or you might be in a shade but you always have a generator.

The refrigerator is noisy since it is right at the foot of the Murphy. Does not really bother me since I sleep in a CPAP and DW says the CPAP is more annoying to her. I've never noticed the sound of the water heater at night because it is turned off, don't use a lot of hot water when I'm in bed asleep! The water pump doesn't run during that time either so not a problem. I have searched for the banging noise of the water pump, remounted it with a better foam but finally isolated the "banging" as internal to the water heater, no way to avoid it at all.

If I had it all to do over again I would not buy the unit because of the refrigerator and by far I recommend the LP two or three way units in these small rigs. I give the Norcold a failing grade and, really, WGO as well since they dumped it out on unsuspecting consumers to deal with the issues for months on end ad naseum. Other than the refrigerator we love the rig. Our refrigerator as noted in prior posts is now performing well and the T1275 batteries for 300AH with two working solar panels allow us to boondock for four nights. Since I also run the CPAP I give the Trojans a boost with the generator AM and PM for a few hours which really means our boondock time is limited mostly by finding a dump and fresh water.

The possibility exists that I will immediately consider the new Mercedes chassis when WGO or Tiffin builds on the gasoline version with expanded GVW rating - only if Tiffin still is using the LP refrigerator. Over 20 years of RV time we always had LP refrigerator - never one single problem, not one, no ruined food and no repair hassles. This is the first Norcold however and the first all electric 12VDC unit. AFAIK WGO still only connects the 12VDC side of the Norcold in the View.

AS always, YMMV. Buying a RV is a gamble and you just won't ever find a "perfect" unit. You base the purchase on your tastes, needs, perceived worth and quality but the latter two always become known only after the purchase. All things considered the last unit, Tiffin BR32, was just about perfect except for the engine. Kind of a big deal. DW and I decided to downsize to the little View which was our first Motorized unit way back in 2006. Overall the 2018 View is far nicer, handles better etc. Now if it just had the same old LP refrigerator I would rate it as good as RV's get. Sure we've had the "normal" new RV stuff which it seems you always have to deal with but the refrigerator was a gamble and I knew that going in. We decided to gamble on it and paid the price in agony and struggle to get it working. Three or four months of life we should have been on the road enjoying the investment spent trying to get the refrigerator fixed and chopping the battery tray to put in the monster batteries so it could operate. That's how RV stuff goes and we are pretty happy with the rig now - year one passed and looking forward to a lot of miles and smiles this year - if it ever stops raining!
kayak70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 06:37 AM   #228

Will go with the 3 way....

Thanks all for the feed back. Much appreciated.
We are leaving for the Gulf Shores in April ( presently under 10 feet of snow in Quebec....) and we will stop at Red Bay Al on our way to talk to the Tiffin folks. I agree about the weight limitations, but the Wayfarer comes standard with stabilisers and diesel gen set , options we would take with the 24D. Weight then becomes comparable. Also, I carry my tools and other less used heavier stuff in the towed car, easier on suspension...
We can do without the electric bed.
I agree it is an unacceptable practice from manufacturers to deny significant issues exist and put blame on the defective product's manufacturer, leaving the RV owners hanging. Thank you for blogs like this one that informs fellow RVers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayak70 View Post
First, the video posted on Lichtsinn has been debunked and misrepresents all but the latest models of the 24D. It does not and never has worked for the '18 models in that fashion. The newest releases of the 24D are reported to run the refer fine overnight on the OEM batteries with the latest mods to the refer. The thing about solar is that it is solar - it just might rain for those four days or you might be in a shade but you always have a generator.

The refrigerator is noisy since it is right at the foot of the Murphy. Does not really bother me since I sleep in a CPAP and DW says the CPAP is more annoying to her. I've never noticed the sound of the water heater at night because it is turned off, don't use a lot of hot water when I'm in bed asleep! The water pump doesn't run during that time either so not a problem. I have searched for the banging noise of the water pump, remounted it with a better foam but finally isolated the "banging" as internal to the water heater, no way to avoid it at all.

If I had it all to do over again I would not buy the unit because of the refrigerator and by far I recommend the LP two or three way units in these small rigs. I give the Norcold a failing grade and, really, WGO as well since they dumped it out on unsuspecting consumers to deal with the issues for months on end ad naseum. Other than the refrigerator we love the rig. Our refrigerator as noted in prior posts is now performing well and the T1275 batteries for 300AH with two working solar panels allow us to boondock for four nights. Since I also run the CPAP I give the Trojans a boost with the generator AM and PM for a few hours which really means our boondock time is limited mostly by finding a dump and fresh water.

The possibility exists that I will immediately consider the new Mercedes chassis when WGO or Tiffin builds on the gasoline version with expanded GVW rating - only if Tiffin still is using the LP refrigerator. Over 20 years of RV time we always had LP refrigerator - never one single problem, not one, no ruined food and no repair hassles. This is the first Norcold however and the first all electric 12VDC unit. AFAIK WGO still only connects the 12VDC side of the Norcold in the View.

AS always, YMMV. Buying a RV is a gamble and you just won't ever find a "perfect" unit. You base the purchase on your tastes, needs, perceived worth and quality but the latter two always become known only after the purchase. All things considered the last unit, Tiffin BR32, was just about perfect except for the engine. Kind of a big deal. DW and I decided to downsize to the little View which was our first Motorized unit way back in 2006. Overall the 2018 View is far nicer, handles better etc. Now if it just had the same old LP refrigerator I would rate it as good as RV's get. Sure we've had the "normal" new RV stuff which it seems you always have to deal with but the refrigerator was a gamble and I knew that going in. We decided to gamble on it and paid the price in agony and struggle to get it working. Three or four months of life we should have been on the road enjoying the investment spent trying to get the refrigerator fixed and chopping the battery tray to put in the monster batteries so it could operate. That's how RV stuff goes and we are pretty happy with the rig now - year one passed and looking forward to a lot of miles and smiles this year - if it ever stops raining!
Michel Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 09:32 AM   #229

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayak70 View Post
You want to build an air flow dam right below the drip tray. I settled on a piece of Foamular from Home Depot wrapped in Reflectix also from HD. Just leave about 1 inch in the rear, tight on the sides and there will be a small space in the front. It is holding at setting 4.5 about 1-2*F in freezer and 36-37*F in lower veg bin. Nothing has frozen in the bottom even on top shelf, bottles of water etc., all fine. Good luck. If you cut the Foamular right it will stay in place without any support, just wedge it in to fit and it will not move. The temps vary a bit with door openings but recover quickly, all normal even in a stick & brick unit.
For those of you (Bill, Warren, others?) who have put insulation between the freezer and fridge sections, is there any good reason to have the insulation below the drip tray, rather than just having it sit in the drip tray?

Having the insulation sit in the drip tray is a lot easier, and it looks nicer (can't see it). I know I'll have to remove it to defrost, but other than that, does it matter whether the insulation is below or above the drip tray?

Thank you!
-Bruce
18.5NV
BruceR63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 01:31 PM   #230

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceR63 View Post
For those of you (Bill, Warren, others?) who have put insulation between the freezer and fridge sections, is there any good reason to have the insulation below the drip tray, rather than just having it sit in the drip tray?

Having the insulation sit in the drip tray is a lot easier, and it looks nicer (can't see it). I know I'll have to remove it to defrost, but other than that, does it matter whether the insulation is below or above the drip tray?

Thank you!
-Bruce
18.5NV

Might work! Give it a try (and please let us know how it works).
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 03:24 PM   #231

Just bought a 2020 Tiffin Wayfarer, thought it had a 3 way fridge, but found it ran the 120 volt electric element on either sp/gen directly or by inverter and batteries. Or of course on propane. No 12 volt element installed, but when driving alternator supplies enough to keep batteries up to run inverter. Batteries will only last a couple of hours if not being charged.
Old 06-16-2020, 08:19 PM   #232

My 15 VG has the 3 way. I had a 12 fuse go and a 120 vac go a year later. I carry fuses but don’t need them yet. My thermal switch did not work and this was an issue, but I replaced it and the little fan does the job. The Norcold is a good unit, quiet and cold. Just got back from a month in the west, hot outside but no issues.
I like the 20 VD but won’t replace as the frig noises along with the upgrades needed and fixes required to get the New unit correct is too much. Thought about it, I have Levelers on mine and they are a option now. The new cruse would be nice, maybe a NAV that works, They have more room, is it worth the 50 k to upgrade? No
Old 08-10-2020, 08:21 AM   #233

Foam insulation in the drip tray works great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeTheUSA View Post
Might work! Give it a try (and please let us know how it works).
After a few sizing iterations, I settled on a 16"x8"x1" piece of foam insulation that fits nicely in the recessed section of the drip tray. During a recent 5-day trip with daily highs around 90 degrees, my fridge section had an average temp of 36 degrees, and the freezer section had an average temp of 6 degrees.
Without the foam insulation, I typically kept the control set on 3.5-3.75. With the foam insulation, I had to keep the control set on 4.5-4.6 in order to get the fridge section cold enough. I was concerned that the higher setting might use significantly more power, but my Victron battery monitor didn't show much of a difference (based on battery % remaining in the morning before solar charging kicked in).
The beer stayed cold, and the ice cream stayed frozen solid, so I'm very happy with this!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Norcold DC0061 Insulation.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	344.0 KB
ID:	296647  
BruceR63 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator