Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-09-2013, 08:16 PM   #61
Winnebago Camper

I use 3/4 gallon water, 1 tbl spoon of liquid laundry detergent +++ rubbing alcohol (8-16 or more ounces) to cut the bugs and not freeze. Dave :-)
DaveBeadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:18 PM   #62
Winnebago Camper

Getting our 2012 View Profile 24G Monday... looked at a bunch! The 24G has 5k # towing. Some upgrades. I wanted cab over sleeping, not available in the 24G. Dave :-)
Old 12-09-2013, 08:19 PM   #63
Winnebago Camper

LP; less noise, lower up front cost, no smelly exhaust and higher power output. Dave :-)
Old 12-09-2013, 08:24 PM   #64
Winnebago Camper

What to do when one is looking to 'upgrade' shocks, steering dampening, etc? 2012 View Profile 24G? thanks! Dave :-)
Old 12-10-2013, 06:28 AM   #65
Winnebago Owner

Picked up our 2014 View 24G 2 weeks ago in Northern Iowa. Happy it wasn't this week as it was cold enough then. Our first RV and though it rained the entire 700 mile trip home it was easier to drive than we though.

Looking forward to our coming 4 weeks in Florida. Booked largely at State Parks with a few nights with relatives.

Have a question for now. How do I disconnect the engine battery (the house battery has a switch but we keep it plugged in in our garage). I was show the place by the gas peddle and told to press the red thing then pull. Either I'm too weak or there is a trick to that red thing that I'm not getting - it does not seem to budge.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.
SocioSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 06:20 AM   #66
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by monik7 View Post
Diesel Emission Fluid Sandi
Diesel exhaust fluid. Dave :-)
Old 12-15-2013, 08:11 AM   #67
Winnebago Camper

Question - just picked up our 2012 View Profile (only 2700 miles!) It is SIRIUS equipted but where? The Pioneer in dash or the Jensen in the coach? How do I then locate the option Sirious? thanks, Dave :-)
Old 12-15-2013, 03:22 PM   #68
Winnebago Camper

View/Navion on Yahoo

Hi Wayne, I too find it hard to follow the Yahoo group and the search function searches all the groups on Yahoo, not just our old posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newviewguy View Post
I too have found the yahoo group difficult to follow. How about using this link JUST for View/Navion folks?? Let's give it a try.

Wayne from MA - 2011 MBJ
windsolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 03:30 PM   #69
Winnebago Camper

Surge brake/Kar Kaddy/and the View

I too have talked to WGO and they did not say it was forbidden to use a surge brake system, just not recommended by them. Not sure a electric braking system would be better. I really like the design of the Kar Kaddy as it has 14 inch wheels with disc brakes and sealed bearings, but it uses a surge brake system. The other car dollys do not compare with the Kar kaddy, smaller tires, drum brakes, no steerable axel.... Seems the surge brake is the least of my worries as compared to a less expensive dolly not built as well. chris 06VH
windsolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:58 AM   #70
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsolar View Post
Hi Wayne, I too find it hard to follow the Yahoo group and the search function searches all the groups on Yahoo, not just our old posts.
Unfortunately yahoo changed its format and many users have difficulty adapting to the new format. The search function works fine...go to the group page, then to "Conversations" then at the top of the page where it says "Search Conversations" put in what you want to search for and hit enter.
MutinyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:42 AM   #71
Winnebago Watcher

Ok gang, we had a 38 ft mh, sold it thinking bigger,after many nites looking at ceiling an talking to wife forever it seems, cost of owning an operating bigger an money out window cause all these toys are bad investments from word go, I probably should not say investment rather cost of having fun, please tell me why I do not want a navion or a view. What sort of problems do they have an is 15 to 18 mpg realistic. Wife wants to see the usa an we think smaller mite be the ticket, some body please convince us .. lol help ! thanks gang..
HarleyDriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 03:18 PM   #72
Living The Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyDriven View Post
... snip ... please tell me why I do not want a navion or a view. What sort of problems do they have an is 15 to 18 mpg realistic. Wife wants to see the usa an we think smaller mite be the ticket, some body please convince us .. lol help ! thanks gang..
Well, I guess we won't be the ones to talk you out of it! We bought a new 2006 View in August of 2005, put nearly 70,000 miles on it, then traded it for our 2012 Navion iQ in February of 2012. We have about 16,000 miles on it so far.

Problems? Nothing on the Mercedes side, just a few relatively minor things on the Winnebago side although all taken care of, both rigs taken to the Forest City factory for great service when they were still on warranty.

Mileage? We tow a car, first a Scion xA and then a Mini Cooper with the 5-cylinder View . . . it yielded about 14-15 MPG. Now a Ford Escape with the 6-cylinder Navion . . . it yields nearly the same, maybe about .5 less. You could likely add about 2 MPG without a toad, if that way of traveling suits you.

Handling? Both are fun to drive, the newer 6-cylinder chassis is more stable, has more power.

Quality? Hmm, from our point of view, Winnebago is good enough for a second purchase.

Room? We'd be lying to say more room would just be no big deal . . . at times it would . . . but we have spent many nights and driven many miles without suffering. To be able to zip in and out of campgrounds, in and out of big cities, etc., has been nice. We've never felt confined. When you look, spend time figuring out how each available floorplan fits your RVing lifestyle.

Why did we go from the View to the Navion iQ? 1. Floorplan . . . and 2. More horsepower for a bigger toad (and the drop-dead good looks of the full body paint of the Navion).

Good luck. Have fun shopping!
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 05:17 PM   #73
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyDriven View Post
Ok gang, we had a 38 ft mh, sold it thinking bigger,after many nites looking at ceiling an talking to wife forever it seems, cost of owning an operating bigger an money out window cause all these toys are bad investments from word go, I probably should not say investment rather cost of having fun, please tell me why I do not want a navion or a view. What sort of problems do they have an is 15 to 18 mpg realistic. Wife wants to see the usa an we think smaller mite be the ticket, some body please convince us .. lol help ! thanks gang..
I got my 2012 Navion iQ in May 2012. Have had no warranty issues. 16-18 mpg is what I get regularly and I don't have a toad. In my opinion it's the perfect size. I can't say anything negative about it. At every campground I go to, I have people staring at my beautiful Navion. At Lake Tahoe this last summer, 7 people came by asking for a tour saying they wanted to downsize and that the Navion seemed perfect. I agree, it's perfect.
Sandi
Old 12-20-2013, 05:24 PM   #74
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocioSam View Post
Picked up our 2014 View 24G 2 weeks ago in Northern Iowa.
Have a question for now. How do I disconnect the engine battery (the house battery has a switch but we keep it plugged in in our garage). I was show the place by the gas peddle and told to press the red thing then pull. Either I'm too weak or there is a trick to that red thing that I'm not getting - it does not seem to budge.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.
I always disconnect the engine battery by pushing down on the red button and then pulling out. Should disconnect. Make sure you're pushing the red button down fully.
Sandi
Old 12-23-2013, 10:52 AM   #75
Winnebago Owner

I have a question about leveling. I'm told it is critical for the refrigerator. Our dealers told us to just get some boards and stack under wheels as needed. Others tell us to buy those plastic leveling blocks (about $25 for 8-12) and told we might need more than 1 kit.

Also told that hydraulic bottle jacks might to the trick.

What do we need to consider?
Old 12-23-2013, 02:10 PM   #76
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
I have a question about leveling. I'm told it is critical for the refrigerator. Our dealers told us to just get some boards and stack under wheels as needed. Others tell us to buy those plastic leveling blocks (about $25 for 8-12) and told we might need more than 1 kit.

Also told that hydraulic bottle jacks might to the trick.

What do we need to consider?
The fridge is not all that sensitive to being off level. My rule of thumb when we had the Navion was were we comfortable or feeling that we were sideways. We occasionally deployed our plastic blocks but most of the time because of its small size we could achieve level simply by moving about in the site.
VestaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 06:47 PM   #77
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by VestaDave View Post
The fridge is not all that sensitive to being off level. My rule of thumb when we had the Navion was were we comfortable or feeling that we were sideways. We occasionally deployed our plastic blocks but most of the time because of its small size we could achieve level simply by moving about in the site.
Agree that moving about the site helps. I've got boards. Also get the "surface level" app for your smart phone - put on the floor & have at it! Dave :-)
Old 12-26-2013, 02:33 PM   #78
Winnebago Owner

Have gun will travel?

This might seem like a strange question. We are new RV owners and in a few weeks leave on our first serious trip, largely to State parks in Florida. RV owners we know have suggested we get a gun. We support the 2nd Amendment but don't really want to get a gun - we live in a very safe urban area. What do you folks think?
Old 12-26-2013, 06:50 PM   #79
Living The Dream

Quote:
This might seem like a strange question. We are new RV owners and in a few weeks leave on our first serious trip, largely to State parks in Florida. RV owners we know have suggested we get a gun. We support the 2nd Amendment but don't really want to get a gun - we live in a very safe urban area. What do you folks think?
You need to do whatever makes you feel safe ... whips, chains, bear spray or something of another caliber.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 12:19 AM   #80
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeTheUSA View Post
You need to do whatever makes you feel safe ... whips, chains, bear spray or something of another caliber.
We too have never owned a handgun. This year we bought one & will take some training to get CC. I agree with above. Dave ;-)