Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2017, 02:42 PM   #1

Vinyl Headliner Starting To Fall!!! Any Ideas for Ceiling Art?

My 2004 Itasca Horizon ceiling just started to fall in several places. I have ruled out water damage; and the only climatic factor I can point my finger at is this: I stored the coach in Montana for the winter.

Could that have broken the glue bond between the foam and the vinyl? Or maybe it's just my time as I have read that so many people have had headliner troubles! ...The problem is the right solution is expensive, time consuming, and will interfere with my summer holiday.

In my case the vinyl is separating from the foam. And the foam is still in good shape underneath and is firmly attached to the roof. However, accessing the bubbles in the center of the roof area is next to impossible.

I did try using 3M Headliner and attack the problem from the ends, but I'm not happy with the results and I still have several other sags to deal with.

BTW, I use 3M Fabric Adhesive (#30008) and a WD40 spray wand, but with limited success. Plus I'm not happy this glue disolved the foam underneath.

Plus, while fixing one area of my headliner another area started to fall. So this is a huge concern and I'm not sure what to do next.

As I side note, I wouldn't clean your headliner either since "working it" may break the glue bond. But back to finding a solution(s):

==> Can anyone also tell me how do you remove those battens that are spaced every 4' side-to-side? Do they just pull down or does the edge separate somehow? I think if I can remove the headliner and spray both sides of the vinyl and the foam I can apply the right amount of glue and in all the right places. (TBD)

==> I'm also looking into adding some sort of "ceiling art" that will hold up the headliner to the 1/8" plywood underneath. (No thumb tack suggestions please.)

So if anyone has already gone this route, please send pictures. And if you don't know how post pictures on a forum website, please email me at mwr996atyahoo and I will post them for you.

I want to try something ASAP to prevent sags later. As it is, I am already noticing more bubbles starting to form throughout the coach. So thank you for your ideas!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2017, 08:11 AM   #2

Here's a Youtube video about a guy who didn't want to pay someone $5,000 to do it for him so he did it himself for $480 in materials. There's some other videos links shown on that page too...

Hope I never have to do that. My dizzyness when I look over my head for any length of time would sort of require I hire someone else.

Good luck: Headliner replacement...

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 08:03 PM   #3

I understand you can remove the battens that run horizontal by creating a leverage plat and prying it down with a "wonder bar" or like object, but can you replace those ivory colored, seam t-braces? Or do you need to add a wider piece of wood like Winnebago used in the first batten over the driver's seat?

If I take another approach, has anyone added a skylight -- with internal shades?
Old 08-12-2017, 03:51 PM   #4

Falling Headliner 2004-2005

This is a recognized problem for many makes around these years. I decided a few years back to just do the ceiling design route. I will try to attach pictures or email them to you. Using a brad nailer I just pinned them up by shooting at an angle. I also put small crown molding around the edges.

Roy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140325_142114.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	172708   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140325_142252 (1).jpg
Views:	23
Size:	188.8 KB
ID:	172709  

Click image for larger version