Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2016, 04:22 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Vista LX 30T

We are narrowing down our search for our first RV and are very close to getting a Vista/Sunstar LX 30T. We're debating whether we should simply order a 2017 exactly as we want it -- or wheedle a deal on 2015 that's new and has 98% of what we'd like in it.

As always, thoughts and advice greatly appreciated!

Mike & Cindy
MKE Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 05:24 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

That is a loaded and personal question. How long do you plan to keep the unit? Is resale an issue for you? How hard is it to add the other two percent later. There will always be something you want to change or add to a rig. Since the units loose a lot of value when you drive off the lot, you should be able to get more bang for your buck on the older new unit. If money is no object or you only plan to keep it a year the new unit is everything you think you want.
Dsallach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 06:53 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKE Folks View Post
We are narrowing down our search for our first RV and are very close to getting a Vista/Sunstar LX 30T. We're debating whether we should simply order a 2017 exactly as we want it -- or wheedle a deal on 2015 that's new and has 98% of what we'd like in it.

As always, thoughts and advice greatly appreciated!

Mike & Cindy
One difference is that Ford F53 chassis changed from 5 speed to 6 speed automatic transmission at some point chances are the 2015 has a 5 speed and the 2016 or 2017 would have a 6 speed. 5 speed is OK but tends to shift to 3rd gear at the slightest grade which can be noisy. This can be addressed to some extent by adding a 5 Star Tuning Engine Tune change to it, about $ 500.

The 6 speed version gets slightly better fuel economy and is slightly quieter due to tending to run at lower RPM with the additional gear. If you buy a RV with the 6 speed automatic be sure to take it to a Ford dealer and see if needs to have the Engine Control Module updated so that your Tow Haul feature works correctly.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 09:23 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsallach View Post
That is a loaded and personal question. How long do you plan to keep the unit? Is resale an issue for you? How hard is it to add the other two percent later. There will always be something you want to change or add to a rig. Since the units loose a lot of value when you drive off the lot, you should be able to get more bang for your buck on the older new unit. If money is no object or you only plan to keep it a year the new unit is everything you think you want.
Well, since this is our first unit, we're not sure that this would be a long-timer.... but you never know. I do tend to hang on to my cars for quite a while. I read on here somewhere that you choose to either buy new and do the new unit shake down and inevitable repairs with the warranty -- paying for that with depreciation... or buy used with the rapid depreciation gone and covering repairs and such out of pocket.

Since we're eyeballing the new '15 and we'd enjoy the new warranty and such, I am concerned that if we do indeed want to upgrade in a year or two, now it's that much older than the '17 would be...

As for differences, as powercat_ras points out, I would like to have the 6 speed over the 5 -- plus the '17 would have the new slide mechanisms. That's the 2%.

Mike & Cindy
MKE Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 04:28 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

We bought a 2015 off the lot. It had a few things we didn't want and to make the sale the dealer(after we determined a price) agreed to change them out for what we wanted. Took 2 months to get it all done but we have the rig we wanted.

We switched out the washer/dryer for storage cabinets and removed the range/oven for a range only with drawers underneath.

The workmanship was great and we have been very happy with the rig.

We have since added a 5 Star tune due to the shifting and found it well worth it and it was easy to install. Also added a Ready Brute Elite tow toad tow system.

We had a list of other items we wanted installed but the pricing from the dealer was high. We slowly added everything while at our winter place, kept DH busy but we now have our "perfect" rig.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 10:03 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

5 vs. 6 speed trans....

Top gear is nearly the same, .71 vs. 674. Bigger difference is Ford started using a 4.30 axle on some of the small F53's. Not sure what a 30T is built with, but worth comparing the axle ratios in the two coached you're looking at.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 03:36 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

the engine has also been detuned to 320hp vs 362 for previous versions...torque lower as well.
tomrx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 04:26 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I traded my 2011 Vista 26P in on a 2016 Vista LX 30T. I was one of those who fought with Ford from October 2015 until August 2016 to persuade them to fix the inoperable tow haul on the 6 speed transmission. It was well worth the fight. I can tell you that the 2016 F53 drive train is superior in all ways to the 2011 F53. It is getting better fuel economy and has much better performance. The big factor is more torque at lower rpm. The horsepower issue is irrelevant. The 2016 is rated at lower rpm in line with the rpm which I use. And lastly, the depreciation is a big deal if you trade your coach in within the next 10 years.
hfbundy is offline   Reply With Quote