RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2019, 03:00 PM   #1

Vista roof

Iím beginning to formulate a plan to install a rear roof A/C in my Ď17 Vista 31BE. Iíve got a good path to get the power routed to the cabinet above the bed on the non-slide side. That leaves about 3í of roof that I need to figure out. There is a seam about 12Ē to either side of the existing roof vent which has a Maxx Air fan installed. So, I know there is 12 volt power there but I havenít pulled the shroud down yet. Iím assuming that the 12 volt wire is sandwiched in the foam. Itís not likely that they left a nice easy path from the vent to the cabinet!

Has anyone pulled the strips down that are in every roof seam? If so, do they stay in place using clips or are they glued?

BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2019, 04:13 AM   #2

Are you sure it isn't pre-wired? Many RV's are. Give Winnebago a call.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 05:25 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
Are you sure it isn't pre-wired? Many RV's are. Give Winnebago a call.
Thatís a good thought. It wasnít an option on my model but Iíll call.
Old 04-10-2019, 06:01 AM   #4

Adding a second AC is going to have a major ripple effect. Switch from 30A to 50A service (new cables, transfer box, control and fuse panels), bigger generator. We have a Vista 32YE with the second AC option and there are a lot of changes included with that option.
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 06:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueridge-fl View Post
Adding a second AC is going to have a major ripple effect. Switch from 30A to 50A service (new cables, transfer box, control and fuse panels), bigger generator. We have a Vista 32YE with the second AC option and there are a lot of changes included with that option.
Thanks. Iíll be adding a second dedicated circuit that will have itís own power cord. I may upgrade to 50 later but Iím not ready for that yet.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:23 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I have given some thought to a 2nd A/C too. I found that the 12v wiring in the area of my bedroom Fantastic Fan was run from an adjacent ceiling light fixture (so that light has to be "on" to use the vent fan) ...... and the wiring for that light did, in fact, appear to be buried in the ceiling foam.

I haven't followed up on the details of an install, but I was considering using some rectangular surface mount conduit for a run of about 3 ft from an over-the-bed closet. If one used the metal type conduit and painted it about the color of the ceiling, it wouldn't be too obtrusive-lookin' IMHO. It's only about 3/4" wide or so. You probably have already considered this as a "last resort" but it not........

You have a LOT of cubic feet in your rig with the slide out; I can see why you would really like to have a 2nd A/C. Like you, I was thinking a separate "cord" and plug for it and use it with the "extra" (20 amp) outlet at a 50 amp camp site. The 2nd A/C would be the non-ducted type.

My OEM 15,000 BTU ducted unit is "barely adequate" especially in AZ .......... but only after the sun goes down.

Good luck with your project, and safe travels.
youracman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 06:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchyBoy View Post
Thatís a good thought. It wasnít an option on my model but Iíll call.
I called Winnebago and the person confirmed that there is no 120 volt wiring there :(
Old 04-17-2019, 01:17 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
The strips are actually metal slats covered with a plastic trim piece. You can pry off the plastic starting at one end, get a screwdriver under one side of the trim to get started.

It takes some force to get off. It was a little worrying. I warmed mine up a little with a hair dryer, to avoid cracking the plastic.

The metal slats are screwed to the ceiling with standard screws.

Does this make sense?
Old 04-17-2019, 09:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhannah View Post
The strips are actually metal slats covered with a plastic trim piece. You can pry off the plastic starting at one end, get a screwdriver under one side of the trim to get started.

It takes some force to get off. It was a little worrying. I warmed mine up a little with a hair dryer, to avoid cracking the plastic.

The metal slats are screwed to the ceiling with standard screws.

Does this make sense?
Yes, thanks! That helps a lot. Hopefully Iíll be able to figure out how to run a 120 volt line one side or the other of that seam.

I just realized this thread should her been titled Vista Ceiling, not roof.
Old 04-18-2019, 01:43 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
It might fit under the plastic trim - or replace the plastic trim with wire channel, such as that used for stereo cords. Good luck!
Old 05-05-2019, 03:55 PM   #11

I did some looking around this weekend. I’ve got a pretty good path from the electrical bay to the opposite side and then up into the bedroom closet on my side of the bed. I took part the existing air vent and some of the ceiling trim. There doesn’t appear to be an easy way to get from the overhead storage to the vent, about two feet. The wife has said she’s ok with me using some surface channel, so I’ve got to look around.

Tags
roof