Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2019, 05:51 PM   #1

Voyage Tire Issues

Another question about my Winnebago Voyage 2007 model 33'

After driving home from VA to DE and pulling into our home parking area we had just set it back up on the levelling jacks and within 10 minutes a loud boom took place and scared the bijeeba's out of my wife and I our little dog shot across the yard like a scud missile. Ok so now I'm looking all around the coach couldn't see any problems even tires looked ok so I figured as I couldn't see a flat I would check tire pressure, I found the inner dual wheel had no pressure and had split the side wall so now we know what the boom was mystery solved although not sure why this happened. All 6 new tires ordered and will be replaced, but I also noticed the front tires had some major cupping on the outer edge would this be caused by bad shocks and possibly alignment issue.
Any Idea's would be appreciated.
Thank You in advance
Onebrit
onebrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2019, 06:02 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
If the tires were original that would explain the failure, possibly contributed by low pressure. Do you have a TPMS.

When I first bought my rig it was 6 years old, front tires were cupping. Got a new set of front tires and then straight to an alignment shop. This solved my problem.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 05:02 PM   #3

Almost every MH I have ever seen with any age on the tires have cupping as you described. Glad no one was injured. We have a 2007 Voyage too and love it. As luck would have it the previous owner changed out the tires just before we bought it with Michelins. We have always used the recommendations for tire pressure listed on the inside of the MH. 85# front 90# Rear.
BillB100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 09:24 PM   #4

There are 2 major causes of tire cupping; worn out shocks, improper wheel alignment, worn steering components is #3; OR- it may be a combination of those.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 08:52 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As stated by others, YES. Have the suspension checked. front to back and have an alignment done also. If you don't have a TPMS system you may want to invest in one. If not then get your self a good quality pressure gauge and make sure you check the air pressure at least weekly first thing in the morning before moving the MH and before the sun gets a good beating on the tires.
Also sense you installing new tires I would recommend getting yourself a full set of Centramatic Wheel balancers and a set of valve stem extenders and have them installed also while they are doing the tire replacement.
These are investments you will not regret.

Tags
voyage