Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2011, 03:06 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

W-20, W-22 or W-24 Chassis?

Probably a dumb question among you veterans, but what chassis do I have on my recently purchased '05 (mfg in 09/04) Adventurer Workhorse Model 33V?

I've looked at all the spec sheets and about to go crazy trying to figure this out because some part numbers for mounting hardware of some aftermarket items vary among the types of chassis.

Vin #: 5B4MP67G453400299

Greatly appreciate anyone's help, thank you.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:21 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

You most likely have a W-22, but just find the weight sheet and it will tell you. It's probably in the bedroom closet.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 03:27 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Your chassis is a 2005 W-20, model W32020. If your last name is not KITINOJA, then WCC does not know you are the owner. Send me a PM with your EM if you need more info. Ed
Old 06-28-2011, 03:33 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind Breaker View Post
Probably a dumb question among you veterans, but what chassis do I have on my recently purchased '05 (mfg in 09/04) Adventurer Workhorse Model 33V?

I've looked at all the spec sheets and about to go crazy trying to figure this out because some part numbers for mounting hardware of some aftermarket items vary among the types of chassis.

Vin #: 5B4MP67G453400299

Greatly appreciate anyone's help, thank you.
The sixth figure counting from the left is a 6, making it a W22.
Are you registered with Workhores as the owner of record?
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 03:39 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

AZ bound: You are correct about the sixth digit being the chassis GVWR identifier, however the "6" means it is EITHER a W-20 or a W-22. I don't know "why" WCC did not see the need to use a different code to distinguish them, but, believe me, I know what I've posted is correct. Ed
Old 06-28-2011, 04:25 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

If you have 19.5" tires your chassis is a W20, 20,700 GVWR.

If you have 22.5" tires your chassis is a W22, 22,000 GVWR

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 04:31 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Ed, I was going to do a vin translation for him,,, but from something else you said in that post...... I have cause to suspect you have better VIN translation tools than I do when it comes to WCC.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:37 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
AZ bound: You are correct about the sixth digit being the chassis GVWR identifier, however the "6" means it is EITHER a W-20 or a W-22. I don't know "why" WCC did not see the need to use a different code to distinguish them, but, believe me, I know what I've posted is correct. Ed
I have no doubt you are correct. Is there somewhere I can access that type of information online?
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 04:45 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N View Post
If you have 19.5" tires your chassis is a W20, 20,700 GVWR.

If you have 22.5" tires your chassis is a W22, 22,000 GVWR

-Tom
Tom: I'm afraid that is another mis-conception about Workhorse chassis...you see there was an option for 19.5" tires and wheels on the W-22. Apparently there were some coach builder customers who had designed their boxes for the smaller wheels, but wanted the higher GVWR rating when the W-22 was first made available, hence there are some W-22 running on 19.5 inch rubber. I don't think they ever offerred 22" wheels for the W-20, however.

One thing I learned about the RV business is that there are very few "absolutes", and saying things like "never" and always" has gotten me in trouble many times. It is HARD being correct all the time....but I try!
Ed
Old 06-28-2011, 04:54 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by az bound View Post
I have no doubt you are correct. Is there somewhere I can access that type of information online?
Harold: NO, not that I know of. The vin # breakdown is in the chassis guide, but I don't think that IT shows that "6" = W-20 & W-22, nor does it explain that the "A" in the sixth position means W-24 & W-25.5 chassis.

The good news is that all this model and GVWR info can be found on the "Incomplete Vehicle" sticker that the OEM is required to place somewhere in the coach. Generally, they put them on the driver's side wall behind the seat, or in /on the door frame.

Another good way for owners to see all this stuff is to register under "My Workhorse" on the WCC website, as YOU suggested.

wa8yxm: Yes, I still know how to sneak in their "back door" Ed
Old 06-28-2011, 06:06 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
Tom: I'm afraid that is another mis-conception about Workhorse chassis...you see there was an option for 19.5" tires and wheels on the W-22.
I have the 2005 Adventurer option MSRP paperwork from Winnebago. There was no wheel size options for the Adventurer W22 in 2005. Plus, I checked his VIN at workhorse.com.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:57 PM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

Lot's of good input, although I'm still somewhat confused over this not so minor detail. Ed, I'll register with the WCC.
Will that also help provide answers to any questions I may have about this unit?
Old 06-28-2011, 06:57 PM   #13
iRV2 Marketing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N View Post
I have the 2005 Adventurer option MSRP paperwork from Winnebago. There was no wheel size options for the Adventurer W22 in 2005. Plus, I checked his VIN at workhorse.com.
Tom, AFAIK, The last year that G19.5s were available on a W22 was 2003. After that, 22s were using 22.5s.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:01 PM   #14
iRV2 Marketing

Quote:
Will that also help provide answers to any questions I may have about this unit?
Once you are registered, you can download the 2009 Workhorse Chassis Guide. This pub will answer a lot of questions and it's free. Just register. Use the Reference Materials graphic to access the Guide.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:20 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

ED: that was not what I was thinking, however the effect and accuracy are the same.

Glad to know you, hope I don't need to, if you know what I mean. (And I suspect you do)

To the original poster: Registering with the Workhorse web site is the best method. That way they get all your info and you get details on your chassis. You are also informed of any and all recalls both satisfied and pending.

This can make a big difference.. My dealer promised to register me,, Did not (no surprise) so I had to do it myself, the result is one recall I got via E-mail instead of Snail mail, Snail mail included the replacement part, kind of hard to E-mail.

I went to the local autorized service center (in my car) and told them I'd like to come back in 2 weeks and get an oil change and the recall done... They told me it would take more than 2 weeks just to get the part (not like they did not have a dozen in the back room.. oh wait..they did, plus the largest CHEVY parts supplier in the state is a mile closer to my house then they are (3 v/s 4 miles) and my regular chevy place... Oh well. This was a GM/Chevy recall by the way)

Called Workhorse .. Turns out the National Service manager lives on one side of my house,,,, works on the other.... He dropped the part that evening.

2 weeks later I handed it in, attached to HIS business card.

Next time I was in under warranty they had the part fed-exed overnight

Sadly.. That service center is now a hole in the ground, GM closed it.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:22 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

TOM N: I did not realize your reply was specific to HIS chassis, although upon second reading that is exactly what you said. I took your comments to be "general rule". If I've ruffled your feathers, I apoligize. You are absolutely correct....HIS chassis is a W-20 with 19.5 wheels.

The point I was trying to make is that none of us should "assume" a chassis is a W-20 just because it has 19.5 wheels, because there are at least a few W-22 chassis with the smaller size tires and wheels. Ed
Old 06-28-2011, 08:25 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Lot's of good input, although I'm still somewhat confused over this not so minor detail. Ed, I'll register with the WCC.
Please refer to my offer in post #3 above. Ed
Old 06-29-2011, 07:40 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

Ed.. Good point about ASSUMING and after reading Tom's post I suspect many would have made that assumption.

Wind Breaker.. Once you register as owner and get your "Workhorse Account" set up, you will be able to get all the questions you asked in this thread answered by simply loggin in and reading your profile.. The computer at Workhorse will know exctly what you have.

It will also know of any recalls, and if they have been taken care of or not. In short, most everything, chassis specific, you need to know as the owner.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:44 AM   #19
iRV2 Marketing

Hey guys ... just to add a little fuel to the fire; Don't forget the W-21 !!!

The W21 was used on several floorplans by Winnebago Industries. (Not sayin that the OP has a 21) The W21 made an appearance sometime inbetween the 2007 to 2008 model year.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:32 AM   #20
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
Hey guys ... just to add a little fuel to the fire; Don't forget the W-21 !!!

The W21 was used on several floorplans by Winnebago Industries. (Not sayin that the OP has a 21) The W21 made an appearance sometime inbetween the 2007 to 2008 model year.
OK, smart guy , what is the sixth vin position number for the W-21?

I think I know, but since you brought it up...........
Ed

Tags
chassis