Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2011, 01:31 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Question Want to install built in vac in Itasca Horizon 40AD, like to know how factory install

I have a 2005 Itasca Horizon 40AD and I bought a Dirt Devil RV vacumn and would like to install it in our MH. Now it dosen't look like a hugh job, but I am trying to find out how and where the Winnebago Factory installed them and see it this is easier then my ideas
kbdavidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 04:18 AM   #2

Not sure where Winnebago installs them, but I just installed one in my '02 American Eagle. I installed the main vac unit in one of my small bay compartments and ran the vac hose under the fridge where I had access from below. I completed the entire job in less than an hour. I used the flexible vac hose from the control unit to the outlet. I also installed an outlet in the bay compartment so I could vac the TOAD.
dukenrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:53 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
Try in the cabinet under the counter immediately next to the TV. I have a 110v receptacle there for my vac.
TurtleKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:49 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Page 4 of the Body, 110V Wiring Installation diagram for your coach shows the location of the electrical outlet as well as a small rectangular cutout at the floor level where the 'Vac Pan Auto Dust Pan' is installed.

Page 22 of the Parts Catalog for your coach shows how the vacuum is 'plumbed'.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:06 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

On my 07 Ellipse Winnie installed it in a storage bay just under and behind the fridge with the single connection inside the coach.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:45 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

First off :welcome:The central vac in our Vectra is in the basement storage under the fridge next to the furnace. It is one the smaller one that goes all the way through. The pipe comes up under the fridge and the connection for the hose is on the face of the trim piece under the fridge.

Did the vac come with a beater bar? We carry an upright vacuum with us because without one the central vac doesn't pick up the dog fur from the carpet very well.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:02 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

KBdavidson,
We just purchased an '04 Itasca 36' GD full body paint and the vacuum unit itself is mount on the left upper corner of the middle bay storage (there are three on our coach). In case you don't know, it's got one inside inlet and at least one inlet in that same bay for outside bay cleaning. There might be one on the driver side too but, I can't remember.

I think there's an outlet right next to it in that bay that it's plugged into. As for the plumbing, you've been told of the parts manual and page number to look at for reference. Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:20 AM   #8
GG1
Winnie-Wise

We also carry a full size house vac because of the dog hair its a lot easier than dragging out the hose and it has a beater bar we only use the central vac now and then
Old 06-03-2011, 06:31 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

We have a 2005 Itasca Horizon 40AD with the built-in vacuum. The unit is installed inside the cabinet on the bottom shelf, just right of the toilet door.
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 05:43 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I'm getting ready to install a Dirt Devil CV950 in my 07 Journey 39K on Thursday. I have the electric already run and the hole for the mounting plate in. Found a perfect spot for the hose plate in a panel under the refrigerator. All I had to do was move the gas leak detector down about 1". The vacuum unit is going inside the compartment where the rear ladder is stored. It's located directly under the refrigerator allowing for a stright up run of the hose to the inside hose plate. I hope everyone who is past posts were complaining out poor suction realizes a couple important factors. 1st is that most vacuums have a filter bag and a filter element as a last measure to prevent debris from entering the fan/motor area. The element must be pulled out and clean regularly or it will plug. 2nd is to make sure the vacuum housing is mounted in a compartment with open air flow. There must be a way for air to flow out of the vacuum to either the inside of the coach or the outside of the coach. Venting to the outside will cause a negative internal pressure which means the coach will want to draw air into the coach from any possible source. I will be installing a flow vent for direct air return to the inside of the coach. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Mnichols4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:54 AM   #11
iRV2 Marketing

No matter where you install the Dirt Devil it has to go in the basement. Consider buying 2 terminating kits and install a Y adapter pipe going into the unit. You can usually span a fairly wide area using this method as you can only use one or the other inlet so there will not be any loss of vacuum power.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:16 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Installed the Dirt Devil today and I'm really pleased. I did not know that they now come with an upgraded 11.3amp motor with 15% more power and 2x the life expectancy. When I checked into them the spec did say 10apm. When you buy one make sure they sell you the latest model. That thing will suck a golf ball through a garden hose. I also installed the 2 port right at the unit so I can clean the outside compartments. I mounted the motor on top of a piece of foam to act as a vibration and noise reducer. You can hardly hear the motor run when you in the coach. KBdavidson I hope you get the same results and you will be please, no doubt.
Mnichols4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:13 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2004 40AD. The vac unit is installed in the compartment on the passenger side in front of the rear wheel where the radio etc is. The vac is installed on the left hand side wall and there is a pipe outlet there as well. The inside outlets, both the hose port and the floor broom thingy are below the rear heater, Like someone said the info is in the manuals if you can find it.

2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
arkaussie is offline   Reply With Quote