Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2005, 02:48 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

On my 38G the washer/dryer is located in the very back of the rv even though the mounting instructions say locate over the wheels to minimize bouncing as it is not anchored down just sitting in the cabinet...well yesterday after driving over a surprised dip in the road faster than I would have liked. The washer/dryer hit the cabinet doors and broke both doors from their top hinges. Has anyone else had this problem, if so..how did you correct the problem...thanks...

'04 Itasca Suncruiser 38G, W22 Upgrade Kit, Henderson Trac Bar, Davis TruTrac, Steer Safe
Hamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 02:48 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

On my 38G the washer/dryer is located in the very back of the rv even though the mounting instructions say locate over the wheels to minimize bouncing as it is not anchored down just sitting in the cabinet...well yesterday after driving over a surprised dip in the road faster than I would have liked. The washer/dryer hit the cabinet doors and broke both doors from their top hinges. Has anyone else had this problem, if so..how did you correct the problem...thanks...

'04 Itasca Suncruiser 38G, W22 Upgrade Kit, Henderson Trac Bar, Davis TruTrac, Steer Safe
Old 09-02-2005, 04:42 AM   #3
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hamie:
The washer/dryer hit the cabinet doors and broke both doors from their top hinges. Has anyone else had this problem, if so..how did you correct the problem...thanks... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Hamie, We've currently clocked about 32,000 miles and the W/D hasn't budged a fraction of an inch. I would find out why the W/D tilted breaking the hinges. Perhaps I'm wrong about this but aren't there closed clips in the back of the unit that the unit engages into and then it's screwed down along the front edge.

Perhaps you need to remove the unit and check this out but that's easier said than done. On installing my W/D from the 37G to the 38G the installer mangled the front of the cabinet a bit and that had to be changed.

I am very vigilant about speed bumps since there's so much stuff back there, thank God for the 15,000 pound axle at least it can handle the load. On the occasion when I did negotiate a speed bump at about 5 to 10 mph, the inertia actually broke the plastic frame on the mirrored doors. The catch became disengaged and the door was found open. I've since had the right frame piece replaced so now it's stop and crawl over speed bumps.

If there is no structural damage you can fix the doors by stuffing the holes with round tooth picks and then putting the screws back. Better than new!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 06:06 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Hamie::: I noticed you said your washer is not tied down. Ours is screwed to the floor of the cabinet with two large braces. It won't even wiggle alittle. Perhaps when yours was installed they forgot the braces. Also we had an overflow pan added since the washers are known for leaking even if just alittle.

I do use my washer when we are going down the road with no problems.
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 07:22 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the speedy replies, I took a closer look and the bottom front has the braces screwed to the cabinet floor..but nothing is holding the back down, you can easily reach in and tilt the washer from the back.

Savannah...where did you get the overflow pan? Might put one in since I have to remove the washer to see what is behind it.

DriVer...I try to watch the speed bumps and dips also..this one just caught me by surprise. The doors had come loose before but thought it was just stripped screws and had used the toothpick trick not knowing it was the washer knocking them out. This time it bent the hinges so knew something was up.

Old 09-02-2005, 08:43 AM   #6
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hamie:
This time it bent the hinges so knew something was up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I got new hinges from Winnebago Parts.com they might have some in stock otherwise call Winnebago Parts direct.

I had to change one hinge, the left one because I couldn't get it just right.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 06:02 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

You can order the pan from Splendide but we got ours from our dealer when they installed the washer. Our neighbor had her washer installed by Camping World and they also had the pan.
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote