RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2009, 11:49 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
water heater ac heater failure

Hi Ho: Well I had some time and the weather was really nice for a few days, so I took out the water heater to do three things:
(1) work on the auxilary blower
(2) remove the backflow preventers from the water lines
(3) repair the 115-volt wiring on the water heater

I discovered some things that might be of interest to others: On the 35U it is not necessary to remove the water heater to do any of these things. It takes a lot of time to remove the water heater because it is really glued in with black polyurethane(?) and clear silicon.

Also (and this might be important) the ac wires to the water heater element are probably going to get loose and overheat and fail, especially if they have been wiggled. The reason is that the wires are attached with a right-angle push-on connectors (Amp type) that are the wrong size for the terminal on the thermal switches. Amp connectors come in at least two sizes, one being 4.75 mm and the other 6.35 mm. (We used to call these 3/16 and 1/4 inch) The thermal switch has a blade that is the smaller size and the larger size right-angle push-on terminal was used on the wire.

What this means is that it will work (sort of) until it is wiggled and gets loose and then a high-resistance contact results and the connector heats up, melts and the wire may also burn up. The 12 ga. wire failed on our heater. There is a cover plate that may prevent a fire. Anyway this is something to pay attention to if you smell something burning. The heater element draws about 11 amps according to the one-place readout, so there is enough current to cause problems.

The fix is easy and can be done without removing the water heater. However, it is nice to work on it out in the open.

Dirk

dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2009, 04:43 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dirk,
thanks for the info.
it is timely for me as i recently purchased 2 camco brass backflow preventers pn 23302 but haven't installed them yet.
what about the aux blower? can you remove it with the water heater installed? mine blows the fuse when turned on. unfortunately, it is the same fuse circuit that the sony backup camera is on. i recently disconnected the wires from the switch to keep this from happening inadvertently.

01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:25 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Ho Dan: The short answer is yes if you are willing to work in a somewhat cramped space. You also need the right tools. I started to take out the entire heat exchanger for the aux heater and realized this meant disconnecting another pair of coolent lines from underneath which have been foamed in place.

So I just took out the three accessable phillips screws holding the thing down and then took out the blower. The screw furthest to the front of the coach will require a long #2 driver and you either have to feel your way there have a smaller child reach in. I used a grandchild when I replaced the heater element on the water heater. Once you know where things are it is easier. I wouldn't take out the water heater next time.

You should have a 1/4 inch nut driver and a 1/4 inch ratchet to remove the screws on the end panel and end panel of the heat exchanger. the trick is to rotate the heat exchanger to get access to the two screws that come in from the left side of the heat exchanger. (They are covered by foam insulation strip). Otherwize, just take out the screws on the end panel and remove the four screws that hold the blower in place. The electrical connectors just pull off.

Have fun and let me know if something isn't clear.

Dirk
Old 05-05-2009, 11:29 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Ho Dan L: Check out the thread about Aux blower on this Forum. Dan has a good idea about fixing the blower. You don't need to remove the water heater.

Dirk