RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2008, 06:41 PM   #1

I know that when you winterize your MH and you drain the how water heater that obviously will leave the water heater empty. There have also been several previous discussions on this site about driving your MH while winterized. Our MH has the set up so that it will heat the water when the MH is being operated. Is there any possibility of damaging the water heater or any other parts of the system if it is winterized and the water heater does not have water in it? In other words, the MH will be trying to circulate the water and heat it as the engine runs but here won't be water there to heat, will it hurt any of the components?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2008, 06:41 PM   #2

I know that when you winterize your MH and you drain the how water heater that obviously will leave the water heater empty. There have also been several previous discussions on this site about driving your MH while winterized. Our MH has the set up so that it will heat the water when the MH is being operated. Is there any possibility of damaging the water heater or any other parts of the system if it is winterized and the water heater does not have water in it? In other words, the MH will be trying to circulate the water and heat it as the engine runs but here won't be water there to heat, will it hurt any of the components?

Old 01-05-2008, 07:01 PM   #3

I winterize my motorhome each fall ... I drive south in January ... it takes me either 2 or 3 days of driving to get to warm enough weather to winterize ...

The motoraide heating will not damage your water heater.

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 06:39 AM   #4

I hope not, because I do the same as you.

I would think there is a coil inside the hot water tank that the engine fluid circulates through that heats the hot water. Other than the coil becoming hot I do not feel it should damage the hot water heater itself. (?) Sure hope I am right. Seems to me it would be the same as the dash heater circulating hot water whether it is being used or not. Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 09:43 AM   #5

The way I understand it is the MotorAid in the HWH is just a heat exchanger. There should be no damage if the HWH is empty. The problem you have with an empty HWH is if the HWH is turned on weather you are using gas or elec, the empty tank will be subject to too much heat...direct heat. A heat exchanger is not direct heat.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:43 PM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I would think there is a coil inside the hot water tank that the engine fluid circulates through that heats the hot water </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When I had mine removed, there is tubing which is welded to the back of the heater, near the bottom, in the shape of a smile.