Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2010, 05:31 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Water heater check valve

Since there have been so many reports of the check valves on our water heaters clogging up/failing, I decided to be proactive and replace mine today. I removed the lower access door to my water heater and discovered:

1. I have only one check valve at the water heater....on the cold water inlet.

2. The check valve is brass.

Since I understand most of the affected valves were plastic, I wonder if the previous owner had the valve replaced. At any rate, I decided to leave it for now since I am not having issues. I had been concerned about water flow but my water pump recently failed so that may have been the problem. New pump installed so anxious to de-winterize and see how it does.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 06:21 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Sounds a bit odd... usually (I think) the check valve is put into the heater outlet to prevent cold water (when the swing valve is on bypass) from entering into the hot water tank.

When the swing valve is in bypass, cold water can't go into the tank, and the check valve is supposed to prevent anti freeze from entering the tank either.

On mine, the check valve failed, and anti freeze went into the tank when I was winterizing... it was a many many time of filling and dumping, filling and dumping to get it to not have any taste.
VI Roamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 06:57 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I only have one on my water heater on my 02 Horizon, the 2nd check valve is behind the panel of the outside shower connected to the in water line....I bet if you take that panel off, you will see it..
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 10:25 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

The affected check valve have a brass body and plastic internals. I'm not sure you can tell which you have without opening it up and looking.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 11:41 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

As Chris indicated, I found my check valve had a brass body and plastic internal parts that broke. In this photo there is a plastic retainer missing from the plastic spindle that holds the spring in place.

On my coach there was an access door under the motor home and towards the back side of the hot water heater. Once this door was removed I could remove the plastic water pipe nut with pliers. I then had to go to Sears and purchase a 1 inch ratchet wrench. This was the only tool with sufficient torque to loosen the defective check valve in the small space. Once removed, I gutted the valve of its defective parts and re-installed it. Its only purpose of the valve is to keep anti-freeze out of the hot water heater when winterizing. Since I blow out my lines, I did not need the check valve. Here is a photo of the tools I used:

2016 Independent Publishers Book Awards Winner
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:38 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I've been using mine for a few years with the check valve guts removed and no problems.

My understanding is that they were installed for winterizing purposes and I don't winterize here, just drain down and keep some heat on.

Had to get a nephew that is about as limber as a monkey to get mine out. I didn't want to have problems on the road so I didn't rebuild. I would need a really big can opener if I had to get into mine, no access door.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:03 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Mine is still intact.. that is if it exists.. Surburan says "We don't put check valves in 'em" (To a friend at one campground) but you know what.. When she looked, she found one.. and when she gutted it.. things worked again.

I agree with Wizard by the way. If (when) mine gets gummed up and stops working I'll gut it.. that is if I have one (BUt I don't have a "We don't install check valves" surburan, I have a "We don't talk to end users" Attwood)
Old 03-15-2010, 10:20 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

My coach has two check valves. One on the cold water inlet to keep hot water from backing into the cold water line and one on the hot water outlet used as part of the winterizing system. A diagram of mine follows:

Camco sells replacement units with what look to be metal inside parts.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:06 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Mine is the same as Clays. I had to remove mine one morning so the DW could take a shower. Then went with them gutted until fall when I had to put them back in to winterise. I now carry spares so I only have to take apart once, as they will surely fail again.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:47 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
My coach has two check valves. One on the cold water inlet to keep hot water from backing into the cold water line and one on the hot water outlet used as part of the winterizing system. A diagram of mine follows:

Camco sells replacement units with what look to be metal inside parts.
the camco all brass check valve (inside and outside) is pn # 23303, about $9 each.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote