Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2012, 12:07 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Water heater re set??

Opening the WH compartment the other day, I saw that the mounting boss's on the electronic control unit were both broken, and the unit was free to swing by its wires. Moving it over to get a better look, I apparantly touched one contact ( must have been the plus side) of the 2 amp ( auto type) fuse mounted to the control box, to a metal fin on the unit. I think I heard the small snap of a spark..Checking the fuse, its still ok, but now I dont have any response when I turn on the Electric water heater. Gas and Motor Aid are working normally. I think I remember some conversation on this board in the past, regarding a manual reset button. Maybe wishful thinking on my part.. Any other info will be appreciated...rgr...
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 01:17 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

If I recall, when I had this problem I crawled under the MoHo, unscrewed a panel beneath the water heater compartment and with a pencil I pushed a reset button and it worked. The angle was a bit of a problem but it did work.

Nick
traveler of california is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:03 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the response Nick. I dont know what kind of coach you have, but unfortunatly my 33v Winnie Adv. doesnt have any access panels. Can you tell me where on your WH the button was located ?.. Is your WH an Atwood?.. Thanks again...rgr...
Old 01-08-2012, 07:55 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

If your heater is an Atwood, unless you have one of the newer water heaters that use a 12volt relay to activate the 110V side, the 12V gas and 110 AC are completely separate circuits.

The 110V reset button is hard to get to on our units. You may be able to see it using a flashlight and mirror. There is a metal cover on the back which covers the element terminals, t-stat and eco. Looking at the back, the reset hole will be on the right, a squarish hole over the eco.

I would first check you indoor heater switch and breaker, resetting both.

Also, these units have an additional 110v switch, located on the rear square cover, firewall side. Mine went bad, terminals burnt. I had to remove the heater to remove the switch from the circuit.

Additionally, make sure the heater light on the ems is lit.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:49 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I believe the reset button is on the back of the water heater near the top. On the shorter model coaches there is no access panel underneath. You have to get at it through the copmartment door. You can probably stick your head in the door and see the red button on the back of the heater. Getting at it to reset it is another matter. If you're thin enogh you can stick your right arm in first and then squeeze in enough to reach and reset it. If you're not so thin you may have to take the water pump off the wall to get enough room to squeeze in.

Make sure the power is turned off to the heater. It's easy to fumble around and touch one of the wires. The breaker should make a distinct click and latch in when it's reset. I had to reset ours several times before finally replacing it.
Old 01-08-2012, 10:07 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I have an Atwood on my '01 Journey. The cover plate I mentioned was below the heater and the button was at the bottom. When I had my problem I called Atwood tech service and they were helpful in giving me instructions on how I might solve my problem.

Nick
traveler of california is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:23 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrstndgby View Post
Opening the WH compartment the other day, I saw that the mounting boss's on the electronic control unit were both broken, and the unit was free to swing by its wires. Moving it over to get a better look, I apparantly touched one contact ( must have been the plus side) of the 2 amp ( auto type) fuse mounted to the control box, to a metal fin on the unit. I think I heard the small snap of a spark..Checking the fuse, its still ok, but now I dont have any response when I turn on the Electric water heater. Gas and Motor Aid are working normally. I think I remember some conversation on this board in the past, regarding a manual reset button. Maybe wishful thinking on my part.. Any other info will be appreciated...rgr...
here is a picture of the back of the atwood water heater where the eco reset is located. the button is small and a pencil eraser can be used to reset it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ATWOOD H20 HEATER LOCATONS.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	16956  
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:56 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

"If Im thin enough"..

. Well, when I was born, I remember the Doc saying..."Its a Boy" , but I dont recall him adding..,"and he will be thin"..."

Thanks everyone, come daylight this morn', and with a light and mirror,and all a/c safely off, I will see if I can locate a reset button, Dan, your pic will be a big help...Thanks again everyone...rgr...
Old 01-11-2012, 01:03 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Wrapping this subject up, my problem turned out to be a bad waterheater circuit board.. After finding no 12v exiting the board via the yellow wire, I was able to confirm the bad board, by jumping between the white wire, (that brings 12v from the switch to the board), to the yellow that carries the 12v from the board to the relay..When I did this, I immediatly found an 11 amp draw on my " one place" display.. BTW, I found a board online for about $30 less than my selling dealer offered... Thanks again for all the help...rgr...
Old 01-11-2012, 01:40 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Glad you had success. When you get a chance could you post the model number? I'm sure that would help any future searches.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:54 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancinCampers View Post
Glad you had success. When you get a chance could you post the model number? I'm sure that would help any future searches.

You bet, my WH is a GCH10A-4E, the circuit board is a 91226 ( tho that number is superseeded to a 93851)... Both numbers are in play...rgr... as an added, NO reset button on this model WH per Atwood Tech...

Tags
heater, water