RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2018, 09:21 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Water pump cycling on with pressure tank

I just installed a 2 gallon pressure tank in my Minnie Winnie. When I've done in other RVs the result was as expected: the pump would remain off until the remaining water in the pressure tank had been used. The pump is a Shurflo 2088-422-145. The specs say it has a 30 PSI cut-in and 55 PSI shut down. I have a pressure gauge on the cold water line to monitor pressures. The pressure in the tank is set at 28 PSI, 2 PSI below the pre-set cut-in value. The tank pressure was set with an empty tank and pressure in the water system.

The issue is that even with a full pressure tank the pump comes on at the same time as any facet is turned on. It should be waiting until the stored water is used. Considering how deeply buried the pump is I doubt anyone has changed the setting on the pressure on the pressure switch, but always possible. I wonder if the pump is failing? Any thoughts on this issue?

rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2018, 11:02 PM   #2

I'm surprised you have a 2088 model in your 2015 Minnie.
That pump was discontinued several years ago.
That was the 'Classic Series' and was a 3 gpm 30/45 psi pump
Have you actually checked that it IS a 2088 model?

IF it is a 2088 then more then likely the pressure switch is close but not at 30 psi......might try bumping up accumulator tank pressure 2 psi (empty) and see if that resolves the pump coming on so soon

Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:54 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Like you I installed a 2 gallon tank and had the same issue in the beginning. Found out my check valve on the pump was leaking one the pump so I replaced the valve from one I got at Lowe’s. Then a year later I had the same issue and this time it was the fill city selector. I ordered a replacement and once I tore the old one apart found out that I could have just swap the parts out inside of the selector.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:08 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
I'm surprised you have a 2088 model in your 2015 Minnie.
That pump was discontinued several years ago.
That was the 'Classic Series' and was a 3 gpm 30/45 psi pump
Have you actually checked that it IS a 2088 model?

IF it is a 2088 then more then likely the pressure switch is close but not at 30 psi......might try bumping up accumulator tank pressure 2 psi (empty) and see if that resolves the pump coming on so soon
My bad. I had recently replaced the pump on my Excel 5th and written the Mo on a slip that I mistaken for the note I'd taken for the Minnie. The Minnie has a 4008-101-F65 pump. I had walked the pressure down from the factory preset on the pressure tank from about 40 to 28 PSI. No happyness in that process. I may just replace the pump with a 4148-153-E75 like I used on the Excel this summer.

Still open to other ideas. Already fixing to replace the check valve for the fresh water tank fill inlet. It is located below the top level of the tank, so the inlet leaks if the valve fails.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:58 PM   #5

The 4008 has an internal bypass...spring loaded diaphragm that opens during low flow demands.
Accumulator tanks are not recommended with that pump

Pump pressure switch ---start 40 psi/shutoff 55 psi

The bypass begins opening roughly at 40 psi and fully open by 62 psi

Down/dirty adjustments on 4008

The Lazy Daze Companion: Adjusting The Shurflo Revolution 4008 Water Pump
Old 10-16-2018, 10:22 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm gonna home-in on your statement: "The pressure in the tank is set at 28 PSI.."

If this is the air-pressure setting, I'm thinking that as your tank begins to fill with water, the air behind the tank bladder quickly rises in pressure to the cut-off setting of your pump. Suggest lowering the air pressure to 10lbs. Then re-measure when the water pump finally cycles off.

I'm guessing that your tank is only filling to about 1/4 today...hence the "short-cycling" of your water pump.
Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 08:46 PM   #7

The Watts 2G pressure tank comes preset with 20psi air pressure, tinkering with air pressure does not improve the factory air pressure setting results. Been there_done that.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 08:42 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
" tinkering with air pressure does not improve the factory air pressure setting results."

My suggestion to RareBear (to reduce the air-pressure) was to offer him/her a path to troubleshooting the problem described. If changing the factory preset is of no help, then return it to what it was...and continue trouble-shooting of other devices in the water-pressure system (aka, the pump).

BTW, I'm a retired engineer and I've lived by the mantra: If it ain't broke, take it apart anyway.
Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 09:38 AM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've installed various pressure tanks (bladder tanks) in my house and 5th for almost 30 years. So I have some experience with the issues. In this case I've run the tank pressure up and down with multiple settings from 12 to 38 PSI with the same results. Normally the the tank pressure is set 2 PSI below the cut-in point for the pump. In this case I believe the cut-in is 30 PSI, so I started out at 28 PSI. I've down this with two different model of Shurflo pumps. The unit that came with the RV and an older one (Shurflo 2088) I removed from my Excel, 5th. That one had worked great with the same model pressure tank in the 5th. I check the PSI setting for the 5th's tank and duplicated that as well with the same pump. So I've used the same model tank and same exact pump that had worked in the 5th and get no happy in the MH. The pressure tank in the MH is located on the cold side just before the water heater. Same arrangement I used on the 5th.

Presently the 5th has a Shurflo 4148-153-E75 pump and is working great with the pressure tank.

I really like the higher volume flow of the 4148-153-E75 and may get another one to put in the MH. But not right away.
Old 10-20-2018, 12:07 PM   #10

Thought you misspoke when you stated Shurflo 2088 in Minnie
Then you stated it was the Shurfo 4008 in Minnie

2088...old obsolete/no longer available
4008....internal bypass/no accumulator tank/40 psi start set point

??????
Old 10-20-2018, 01:53 PM   #11

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'll try to put it straight.

My 2007 Excel did have a Shurflo 2088, that's setting on my workbench, showing signs of leakage. It was replaced this summer with a Shurflo 4148. The MH (Minnie Winnie) has it's original pump a Shurflo 4008. I tried the 2088 in place of the 4008 in the MH and then put the 4008 back in.

The 4148 ,with bypass, works well with a pressure tank in the Excel. I was wanting to get the same performance in the MH. What I want to avoid is the pump running when drawing small amounts of water. The pump is located under our bed. It maybe a difference how the bypass is designed in the 4148 and 4008?

Hope this clears up the confusion about which pumps.

When I put the 2088 in the MH I used the same tank pressure I had used in the Excel with the transplanted pump. Still looking to understand why the problem in the MH. Perhaps someone can explain why the bypass mode pumps are not for use with pressure tanks? I see no way this prevents the pump running when drawing small amounts of water, like a flush in the night.
Old 10-20-2018, 03:14 PM   #12

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Fred-

I seem to recall that the instruction for the accumulator I installed specifically said there was to be no pressure on the water side when setting the air pressure. Maybe yours is different?

My gut reaction is that the bladder has failed in the accumulator.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 06:49 PM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Whenever I check/change pressure in the bladder of any pressure tank I aways drain the tank and the water lines leaving them open to the air. I have a pressure gauge on the cold water line near the tank so I know the system pressure.

If the bladder was broken it would not hold pressure when the water system was open to the air.
Old 03-22-2019, 06:59 PM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've solved my original problem in post 1. When I installed a Shurflo 4148-153-A75 water pump everything behaved perfectly. The pressure tank fills with two gallons. Until that volume is used the pump does not come back on. Then it runs fills the tank again remains silent as we use small amount of water.

This is exactly the same configuration that I had used in our 5th where it works great. I suspect there's something different in the two Shurflo pumps I have tried vs the one I now have installed.

Tags
tank, water, water pump