Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2016, 07:24 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Water Pump Question

When I put water on at kitchen sink, I hear the water pump at a constant tone. (I'm thinking this is the norm). When I put water on at bathroom sink I hear the pump's pumping sound, not a constant tone but almost a banging. What could be causing the banging sound at bathroom sink.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:05 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

When the water flow is slower than the pump can push, it starts and stops, over and over, quickly. That's the hammer sound you hear.

Check the strainer on the faucet for clogging.

If that don't help, I found that if you run the system empty, and refill it, it creates an air space in the water heater. That space works like a cushion, stopping the hammering pump.

We full-time and didn't want to keep doing that, so I installed a accumulator tank in the system.

If your handy, I can explain what I did.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:05 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

kevin1959 on ours which is about the same in the bath area as yours, it is the pipes next to the wall going to the shower. The pulsing from the pump causes them to move around a bit.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 03:50 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

The water lines going to the kitchen sink are 1/2" in diameter. When the faucet is fully on the pump will run almost continually to supply the volume of water the faucet can put out. Those going to the bathroom sink are reduced to reduced to 1/4" at the faucet. Even when in the full on position the faucet flow is less than 50% that of the kitchen sink.

At the reduced flow rate the pump will start, rapidly come up to pressure and shut off suddenly. This cycle is repeated several times a minute as it fulfills the volume the faucet is calling for.

The problem can be resolved by adding an accumulator on the pressure side of the pump. The accumulator will lessen the number of on/off cycles by supplying a stored volume of water. We put one on our 2001 Adventurer and our 2013 Adventurer for the very reasons you site.

We used one like this:
Shurflo Accumulator Tank - Shurflo 182-200 - Fresh Water Pumps - Camping World

They are available from almost any RV supply store.
Old 05-27-2016, 04:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
The water lines going to the kitchen sink are 1/2" in diameter. When the faucet is fully on the pump will run almost continually to supply the volume of water the faucet can put out. Those going to the bathroom sink are reduced to reduced to 1/4" at the faucet. Even when in the full on position the faucet flow is less than 50% that of the kitchen sink.

At the reduced flow rate the pump will start, rapidly come up to pressure and shut off suddenly. This cycle is repeated several times a minute as it fulfills the volume the faucet is calling for.

The problem can be resolved by adding an accumulator on the pressure side of the pump. The accumulator will lessen the number of on/off cycles by supplying a stored volume of water. We put one on our 2001 Adventurer and our 2013 Adventurer for the very reasons you site.

We used one like this:
Shurflo Accumulator Tank - Shurflo 182-200 - Fresh Water Pumps - Camping World

They are available from almost any RV supply store.

AS described ------pump is short cycling when using lower flowing bathroom faucet

Accumulator is a good modification.

Another one.....
Remove aerator on end of bathroom faucet
Then remove the 'flow restrictor' and re-install aerator and see if short cycling stops

Handheld showers also have them......usually in hose at shower faucet (sometimes in hose at handle)
If not removable they can be enlarged using a drill bit
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 02:29 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

kevin1959,
you may have air trapped in your pump.
i bleed the air by opening the drain valve and draining a couple of gallons with the pump running.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 03:03 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

When we first got our Damon running any tap caused a noise akin to a road hammer. My ears quickly traced it to the flexible pipes on the water pump, designed to reduce noise, being jammed against the wall under the pantry, large sound box. Couple of pieces of pipe insulation and quiet restored.
Dodgey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:00 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Problem solved ! Modified the flow restrictor per Old-Biscuit's post. Nice and quiet. No pump cycling !! I'm so grateful I found this forum !! You boys ROCK !!!!!!!!!!!

Tags
water, water pump