Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2015, 10:03 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

water pump surges & tv?

2008 adventurer 35A-, water pump surges any time we use it. ----also tv picture and no sound at some campgrounds, all ok at other campgrounds.
becken63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 10:23 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

The water pump problem could be a bad pressure switch on the pump. But a friend of mine just fixed his surging pump by replenishing the air bubble inside the water heater. He first made sure the electrical and propane on his water heater were in the off position, then drained the water heater making sure the top pressure valve was open and removing the plug at the bottom. After the tank was empty he shut the top pressure valve, replaced the bottom plug and turned on the city water to the coach.
Then as water was flowing into the water heater he opened a hot water faucet inside the coach until water flowed without air hissing out.

A small bubble of air will be trapped at the top of the heater and this allowed his pump to run without surging.

I know many will be skeptical, but what the hay, it is free and easy right? He was happy especially since I had told him he either needed to replace the pump of adjust the pressure regulator on the pump. Another friend had told him about the air bubble thing.
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 10:28 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

On the TV (I know even less on this subject) are you hooked up to campground cable? Satellite dish? Over the air antenna? I'm making an assumption you are using a cable hookup at a campground, so if that is the fact I would try a new cable between the RV and campground post. Sounds like a bad connection or a bad cable to me.
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 11:25 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Somewhere, probably in an overhead cabinet, you have a selector switch which designates the surround sound to be connected to either the radio / TV. Is it possible that the selector switch is on radio in those cases when you have no audio from the TV?
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 06:36 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Regarding the surging issue. We had the same problem and decided to and an "Accumulator Tank" into the mix. Solved the problem.
Old 02-07-2015, 10:02 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I am not certain if these problems are related to the same area. A loose common ground could be the source of the problems. Have you noticed any other strange things? Are these problems new?
Old 02-07-2015, 08:05 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

"Back in the Day" the hot water heater air-bubble trick was common. It does help but because the water passing thru the HW tank absorbs the air, so eventually another draining of the HW tank will be required. I'm not a writer so won't try to explain the science but it works because while liquids can't be compressed, the air in the tank can.

I'm sure someone is going to explain it.

Finally one the the pump builders came up with a small "air accumulator" for 12V pump (small) use. As the name implies, the accumulator provides an air bubble which helps to smooth out the impulses of the pump.
ruffian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 12:40 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I decided to order an accumulator. Thanks for the info. Ken
becken63 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water pump