RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2018, 11:37 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
WBGO RECALL - Solar Controller not fused

I noticed that my solar controller had no fuses between the roof wiring and the controller. I planned to correct this. But then today when checking on any Recalls that affected my RV I found this from August.

They don't notify you - you have to check for your recalls!

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/201...8V546-5685.pdf
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-12-02 at 12.34.04 PM.png
Views:	62
Size:	226.3 KB
ID:	227824  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2018, 01:20 PM   #2

This recall is being sent to owners directly from Winnebago within the next 2 weeks as per Customer Relations on 11/28/18. This recall applies to the Auxiliary Solar Charging Port used for a portable solar panel.

CFSUNRISE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 02:12 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
My Adventurer has both an Auxiliary Solar charging port and a 3-input solar portal on the roof. I have 3-100 watt panels plugged into that port. The wiring runs thru the walls to a 30-Amp Solar Charge controller that is connected via the controller to the main house battery bank. NONE of it is fused. The Auxiliary charging port also simply ties into the main solar controller.

Since none of it is fused - neither the wiring from the roof to the controller nor the AUX input to the controller I would expect the whole thing to needs to be behind a fuse.
Old 12-02-2018, 04:05 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I installed my own 400 watt solar system. I added a 30 amp switchable fuse in the panel behind the rear DS wheel. There was a spare opening there. If you add a fuse, be sure to add a switchable fuse so you can completely shut off the solar to the controller. My charge feed is connected in the electrical area behind the fuse panel to the same post for the house batteries that the Trik-L-Charge unit is connected. You need the switchable breaker to insure you can shut off the solar when working on the DC electrical system.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 05:04 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hopefully they will clarify the approach to the repair in the notice when it goes out (?????) Anyone heard if this is an easy add on fuse or breaker or if this will be a major invasive shop only repair???
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 07:29 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I'm a little confused by this. My solar port (made by Zamp) contains a self-resetting 15 amp circuit breaker (I know, I had to replace it). I'm not sure what good a fuse after that is going to do.

View/Navions have a secondary solar port for a portable panel that is mounted in the electrical/wet bay. Maybe this is the one they are referring to.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 07:43 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
I'm a little confused by this. My solar port (made by Zamp) contains a self-resetting 15 amp circuit breaker (I know, I had to replace it). I'm not sure what good a fuse after that is going to do.

View/Navions have a secondary solar port for a portable panel that is mounted in the electrical/wet bay. Maybe this is the one they are referring to.
The port is fused? I had no idea. BUT why a 15 amp fuse on a 30-Amp system? The Solar controller is 30-amp.

I too have a secondary portable panel input box on the other side of the coach. But not in the wet bay.
Old 12-04-2018, 07:47 AM   #8

That is exactly what my 2017 Journey has. I was told by Winnebago Customer Service back in mid September that this recall applies to those units that came with the secondary solar power port that is located in the power bay. Dealer will install an inline fuse connected to this port, just like the NTHSA recall notice states.
CFSUNRISE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 11:21 PM   #9

This Notice came out 9/1/18.

I called winnebago this week (5/1/19) and they said "We don't have a fix for this yet and we don't have an ETA for one"

Are fuses more complex then I think they are?

WASHINGTON — Winnebago Industries, Inc (Winnebago) is recalling certain 2016-2019 Winnebago Era, Travato, Fuse, View, Trend, Aspect, Paseo, Via, Adventurer, Journey, Tour, and Grand Tour motorhomes. These vehicles have an auxiliary solar charging port circuit that is not fused.

Remedy

Winnebago will notify owners, and dealers will install an inline 15 amp fuse into the auxiliary solar charging port circuit, free of charge. The manufacturer has not yet provided a notification schedule. Owners may contact Winnebago customer service 1-641-585-6939 or 1-800-537-1885.

SOURCE: National Highway Traffic Safety Administration

HarperE28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuse, recall, solar