Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2005, 02:11 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

We got the coach out last week for a few days and while on the way home yesterday we were on a two lane road that was being resurfaced.

The traffic had to take turns since one lane was shut down. The road bed was scraped/planed down so we were driving in a "valley." I approached the paving machine to pass at about 30 mph or so and while passing I hear a loud bang. The co-pilot said we hit the paver machine's operator umbrella's strut. Wow was that exciting

When we got the coach home I saw where we hit - the back side of the mirror took a pretty good one.

It was close quarters there and obviously I wasn't over far enough. Hey - I'm still learning

--John

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 02:11 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

We got the coach out last week for a few days and while on the way home yesterday we were on a two lane road that was being resurfaced.

The traffic had to take turns since one lane was shut down. The road bed was scraped/planed down so we were driving in a "valley." I approached the paving machine to pass at about 30 mph or so and while passing I hear a loud bang. The co-pilot said we hit the paver machine's operator umbrella's strut. Wow was that exciting

When we got the coach home I saw where we hit - the back side of the mirror took a pretty good one.

It was close quarters there and obviously I wasn't over far enough. Hey - I'm still learning

--John

Old 08-13-2005, 03:45 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Been there. Played tag with 18 wheeler going in same direction, in a "valley" of construction barriers. His empty flatbed drifted into my driver's mirror while passing me. No big deal; minor scrape. Just changed my shorts & resumed trip.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 05:32 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

9.3 pucker factor. Been there.

Glad you're all right.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 12:52 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

John, now you have to do the other one to match. I did.
Most of us have been there, done that. Road sign are my nemisis. The first scratch is always the worst..Take Care,,,,JIM
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 07:52 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Thats nothing John wait till your going down narrow street an hit a basketball hoop just sticking out from tree line an nick both awning brakets and missing the side wall of coach. "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 08:28 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Driving in Charlotte, NC yesterday evening, 3 lanes of US 74 west, we were in the middle lane, at the next light, right lane is right turn only. Traffic was heavy, ball game, I think. We caught the light with 1 car in front of us, when it changed to green, we all took off. Dummy in a jeep in the right turn only lane tried to squeeze in ahead of us, Jeep being small was pretty much in my blind spot until he go to the point of having to do something and he was on his way over, no turn signal or anything. I hit the air horns and he paniced and got the curb. No broken glass, bent sheet metal or swapped paint but he probably needs an alignement now.
gunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 09:43 AM   #8
cwg
Winnebago Camper

Anyone who travels on US Highway 60 from Missouri into Illinois across the Mississippi river and then into Kentucky over the Ohio river,or the other direction,(all within a mile or less) should take a big swig of oxygen at the entrance to the bridges as they are so narrow it is easy to smack mirrors with the oncoming eighteen wheelers. Everyone justs hopes that when it your time to cross, that you are lucky enough to have no trucks on your shift; the roadways are truly that narrow. I'll bet some of you reading this have been on this very adventure traveling to or from Paducah. A lot of travelers take interstate 55 and 24 around the much longer route to avoid a confrontation.
cwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 12:18 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Dog-gone... you guys are really scaring me now

--John

Old 08-14-2005, 04:26 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

cwg is absolutely right about US 60....we were trying to 'cut' through over to Missouri and on the map, US 60 (being a US highway) seemed like a good route to take. Got to the bridge and started praying.....got halfway down the bridge and started swearing as a semi turned onto the other end headed my way.

We passed each other without incident, but I couldn't stop sweating.

I cut that map out of my atlas.

2017 Cedar Creek 38EL/2015 Silverado 3500HD
CC38EL is offline   Reply With Quote