Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2009, 12:14 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

what a shame

we bought our 08 voyage 35a at campers inn in Merrimack Nh and Like the unit , but they will give us no support whatsoever. Our sat radiio (Jensen) will not work and they say thats normal, Our glove box will not close and they changed it once but it still will not close. Again they said thats normal. All the paint has peeled off our drivers side storage compartments, " you have to live with that as it's Normal". We leave for Alaska tomorrow and do not have ANY faith AT ALL in tjhis winnebago product !!!!!!!!!!! I'd like to stop at the factory and show them this peice of "Crap", But i'm sure i'd have to get my dealers permission to do that , so To HELL with it
03flhtcui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:47 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Sounds like a very bad dealer to me. I have the same unit only in the Itasca line with no issues what so ever. If you are going to Alaska I would definitely give Winnie a chance to make things right by stopping on your way. Give them a call and let them know what your issues are and setup an appointment with them to fix your issues. I would not judge the manufacture by the poor performance of the dealer.
JMHO -- Frank O.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:56 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Another vote for stopping at the factory.
Those things are not normal.
Old 05-22-2009, 02:01 PM   #4
Living The Dream

You don't need the permission of ANY dealer to go to the Winnebago factory ---- you can take any issue, warranty or otherwise, there for repair anytime you wish. In fact, based on my own experience, it is the best action to take --- the technicians at Forest City are MUCH more capable and Winnebago's hourly rate (if you have them do work not under warranty) is lower than the dealers' I've had to mess with.

The factory's level of service is excellent ---- shoot, I drive from the Dallas/Ft. Worth, Texas area to the Iowa facility rather than suffer the typical sub-standard dealer service.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 03:36 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I agree with calling Winnebago to make an appointment and stopping by on the way to Alaska. We've had very few problems with our Adventurer, but when something comes up I'm either not willing to or not equiped to handle it's off to the factory.

They have excellent technicians and all the parts you could possibly want. They keep you informed and up to date as to what things cost. Most importantly they don't attempt to pass unusual or sticky problems off as "normal", they fix it rirgt the first time.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:56 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Definitely stop at the factory. Up until the GNR, you can just drive up and do walk in service. To schedule an appointment you probably couldn't get in for a month. I have been there three times as a walk in and always got serviced the next day. They have free camping with electricity at the Visitors Center across the street from the Service Center. There's just no reason to put up with a motor home that isn't right when it is still under warranty.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 06:16 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I agree with the other posters and I would go by the factory., I have been there several times, sometimes with an appointment sometimes not. If you do not have An appointment they will only address 5 items I believe. If you make an appointment they will take a look at all your issues.

The issues you are talking about are not "normal" and Winnebago will take care of it at no charge if it is still under warranty. Good luck and enjoy your trip to Alaska
Old 05-22-2009, 09:24 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Just as a counterpoint, I've had very good service from Campers Inn in Merrimack. I custom ordered my Vectra through them in December 2004 and picked it up at the end of February 2005. They've done a good job at fixing the various issues we've had over the years, both under warranty and afterwards.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 06:12 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Our dealer was less than competent in doing warranty repairs. They had to call the factory for every single thing that needed repairs so that they could get instructions on how to fix things. In fact they had to call the dealer three times for instructions on how to bleed a hydraulic slide line and this forced them to keep the coach for three days! (Which is funny since I just had a mobile RV mechanic replace a line and watched him bleed it in about an hour.) Anyway, we have gone to the factory and have full confidence in their work. They fixed everything on our list. We have a new appointment in about three weeks for a few additional things. I strongly recommend that you dump your dealer and make an appointment at the factory.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 07:17 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

By all means go to the factory and get these problems fixed properly. There work is outstanding and their techs are very knowlegable. We've been there for several problems with our coachs and have always come away satisfied with the service. More than once I've had them tell me a estimated price to fix a problem and stick with it even when it took considerably longer than they thought it would. Good people and Forest City is interesting city, especially during GNR!
robbstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 09:15 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Though we don't own a Winnebago (we're fifth wheelers), we have way too many acqauintances who do own Winnebagos and love 'em. By all means, if possible, take it to Forest City for your repairs; and don't forget to report your displeasure with the dealer.

If we ever go the MH route, Winnebago & Tiffin are the two we'll look at first, because of their financial strengths and excellent factory service
Dick & Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 09:28 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

03flhtcui;

Sorry to hear about your dealer problems. Problems described by you are not normal and you should not be expected to get used to them. As others have told you Winnebago has a good reputation of working with their customers. Most of us are Happy Campers. I would encourage you to call Customer Service at Winnebago. Their number is 800-537-1885.

Good luck and let us know how this works out for you.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 10:25 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Call customer service NOW and get your problems noted so even if you run out of warranty time the problems are on the books and will be covered under warranty. Going to Forest City is much easier than waiting for parts at your dealer.
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 11:11 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Sorry to hear about your lousy dealer/service. Another vote for the factory but not around GNR time. Definitely call the factory and let them know about the quality (or lack of) the dealer. Also if you are a W.I.T. member or even if you aren't contact the regional W.I.T. rep. They try to visit all the dealer in their area on a fairly regular basis. Winnie also rates their dealers/service. If you are going through WA. on your way to Alaska, Roy Robinson in Marysville, WA north of Seattle provides excellent service but appointments are about two weeks out. There are other Winnebago "Dealers of Excellence" award winners. You might want to check their locations along your route. Good luck, I know Winnebago will want to make your coach right even if the dealer doesn't.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 06:33 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

The factory is the way. Been there and done that. Very satisfied with their work.
Old 05-24-2009, 02:03 PM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

thank for the help

We have left new hampshire and will get to the factory in a few days as we have to visit an elderly friend in upstate new york first.
The toilet is so bad the water goes in and out, you can't build any level at all. the lack of satellite radio will also bother us,especially in the yukon,NWT,and many other remote places, so if the factory can at least help me with these,i'd be so gratefull. Well, i suppose if they could fix our glove box so we don't have to tape it shut any more, we would have reason to celebrate.
To be honest, my wife is sooo discouraged with the lack of help at our dealer that she has been talking about simply dumping this unit and trading for something else, but like i tell her,we might get another lemon and then we would be doomed. So I have convinced her with all of your help,that we have to at least give the factory a try.
Again, thanks to everyone,
Carl and Bev
Old 05-25-2009, 07:39 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

You will not regret a trip to the factory for your problems. They are friendly and efficient people. Well trained and their level of expertise will save you money on labor no matter what the charge. I personally have never found but one good Winnebago dealer in many years of RV'g,
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 12:51 PM   #18
Winnebago Watcher

Factory Arrival

We can't thank all of enough for convincing us to stop by the factory on the way to Alaska. We arrived Today (thursday,5/28/09) without an appointment. We are third on the list and will most likely get in tomorrow. Service appears to be extremely friendly and understanding, something WE NEVER EVER saw in Campers inn.
I'll post an update soon.
Thanks Again,
Carl and Bev
Old 05-28-2009, 01:23 PM   #19
JC2
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03flhtcui View Post
we bought our 08 voyage 35a at campers inn in Merrimack Nh and Like the unit , but they will give us no support whatsoever. Our sat radiio (Jensen) will not work and they say thats normal, Our glove box will not close and they changed it once but it still will not close. Again they said thats normal. All the paint has peeled off our drivers side storage compartments, " you have to live with that as it's Normal". We leave for Alaska tomorrow and do not have ANY faith AT ALL in tjhis winnebago product !!!!!!!!!!! I'd like to stop at the factory and show them this peice of "Crap", But i'm sure i'd have to get my dealers permission to do that , so To HELL with it
In addition to all the other recommendations by IRV2 members, I would also go to this website and fill out the appropriate negative analysis of that so called dealer.
http://www.rvservicereviews.com/
Old 05-28-2009, 02:20 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Glad that you arrived at the factory. I'm sure that they will take care of you as they have taken care of me as well as others. Have a good trip to Alaska and enjoy your time there.