Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2014, 12:17 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via AIM to tmw188
What do the model names and letters mean?

From names up the ladder in quality and the letter designations mean after the size? Lets say 35b or u?
tmw188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 12:20 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
From names up the ladder in quality and the letter designations mean after the size? Lets say 35b or u?
Floor plan
fla tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 12:22 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

I'm not sure about the "b" or "u," but the number may or may not designate the length. I have an Alpenlite Augusta 32RL. It's length is 33 feet 9 inches in total length. I believe the "RL" stands for "Rear Living room," but that's just a guess.
NotSoBadBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 12:23 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fla tom View Post
Floor plan
How do I find the definitions of the floor plan. Not much luck on Winnebago?
Old 02-15-2014, 12:25 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSoBadBob View Post
I'm not sure about the "b" or "u," but the number may or may not designate the length. I have an Alpenlite Augusta 32RL. It's length is 33 feet 9 inches in total length. I believe the "RL" stands for "Rear Living room," but that's just a guess.
rear living room?? Is that the sitting area in the bedroom?
Old 02-15-2014, 12:33 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

No, it means our recliners and couch are in the rear area of the fifth wheel. I've seen some that have a "K" after the number, such as 32RK, or 35K, which have the kitchen in the rear. Not sure about Winnebagos, though. I can't tell much from their web site either .......
NotSoBadBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 01:21 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I think its whatever the engineers came up with after a few cocktails during happy hour...
Old 02-15-2014, 01:29 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Different years, different models were available. To get an idea on floor plans and there model designation try RV Trader or any for sale site. Put in Winnebago for make search and all sorts of floor plans should pop up with their identifying model #'s. 35B or U etc..

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 01:36 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by garykk View Post
I think its whatever the engineers came up with after a few cocktails during happy hour...
Well now it totally makes since, I feel like a dummy!
Old 02-15-2014, 01:45 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper2 View Post
Different years, different models were available. To get an idea on floor plans and there model designation try RV Trader or any for sale site. Put in Winnebago for make search and all sorts of floor plans should pop up with their identifying model #'s. 35B or U etc..
That really doesn't work?
Old 02-15-2014, 02:42 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Not all listed MH's for sale have the model # posted, but many do. Then you will need to look at the pics. of the floor plan to see if this is what your looking for, then you can google for like models for sale. Kind of a back door approach. We have the Sightseer 30 B. It is actually almost 32' long and I still have no idea what the B stands for other then possibly Bed?

Old 02-15-2014, 03:10 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper2 View Post
Not all listed MH's for sale have the model # posted, but many do. Then you will need to look at the pics. of the floor plan to see if this is what your looking for, then you can google for like models for sale. Kind of a back door approach. We have the Sightseer 30 B. It is actually almost 32' long and I still have no idea what the B stands for other then possibly Bed?
I have done it that way but it hasn't seemed 100% accurate. I wish the letter told me something but maybe there is different variations of each. I thought the "b" might stand for bunks? Does it have bunks?
Old 02-15-2014, 03:33 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I did find this I don't know if it applies to all years. http://www.chilhoweerv.com/winnebago...motorhomes.php
Old 02-15-2014, 03:51 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Speaking of Winnebago's specifically.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:21 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
I have done it that way but it hasn't seemed 100% accurate. I wish the letter told me something but maybe there is different variations of each. I thought the "b" might stand for bunks? Does it have bunks?
No bunks. I did a little checking after my last post and it seems there are a lot of other folks like yourself that have no clue what the model #'s stand for, weather it's a Winnebago or Newmar or whatever.

Old 02-15-2014, 06:33 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

We have a journey 40U that is about 41'4"!
And I agree most had drinks after work.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:05 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

I can understand the # being reasonably related to the size of the coach, I was hoping the letters in some lines would maybe help me determine whether it had two couches or the TV wasn't over the cockpit or it had a sitting area in the bedroom or maybe bunks? Guess it is what it is.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:32 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

I can tell you that in Vista 35B the "B" stands for bunkhouse. It does have bunks.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
HerbZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 03:11 AM   #19
Winnie-Wise

In some cases the "B" or "BH" does in fact stand for Bunkhouse, but it could also mean the second floor plan of that model. There is no rhyme or reason just numbers and letters to keep you guessing.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:54 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

I worked in the automobile industry many years and later for a company designing and building processing and packaging machines. Generally speaking there are many competing models being designed at the same time. There may be as many as a dozen of each size on the "drawing board" at one time. Each model is assigned a number and letter sequence to differentiate it from the others.

In the motorhome industry the number designation loosely relates to the length of the platform. The larger the number the longer the vehicle. They generally don't use the exact number designation more than a few years. This makes it easier to categorize all the sub sets of drawings to specific production dates and models.

The letter designation refers to the floor plan and available options. Again there are several competing designs being considered at the same time. They try not to overlap or reuse letter designations from model to model for a number of years to keep the sub sets of drawings properly associated to a specific model.

The normal convention is to start with a series of letters for each model. For example a the Adventurer could be assigned letters from H to U. Once those letters have been used to designate a number of floor plans they assign another set of letters. Keep in mind there are only 26 letters in the English alphabet so the letters will be reassigned sometime down the road.

I'm sure the original number and letter designation was closely related to the size and prominent option of the floor plan. However over the years the numbers have to change to keep an orderly record of the changes that have been made.

A good example of a lettering system seemingly not related to a vehicle is Henry Fords Model T. Although it was his first commercially successful design it was the 20th attempt, thus the letter designation T. His next commercially successful automobile design was the Model A. He had come full circle with the letter designation and started over. There are lesser known commercial attempts with letter designations like AA and BB.

In the end the number and letter designations are more often a method of distinguishing one design from another than an attempt to identify a specific feature.