Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2015, 03:45 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
What is that buzzing coming from the 50 amp service box?

I have become aware of a buzzing sound coming from the box that the 50 amp service line connects into. On the Adventurer 38Q the service connects in the last bay on the driver's side just in front of the generator. This is also located under the bedroom slide out. I can here that buzzing at night when most the ambient sounds subside. It appears that the joy of experiencing silence is impossible unless I turn of the AC service. Also is there an issue with EMF exposure while lying in bed about two feet above that box? Just an item on my list of things to investigate.

Thanks
Kent0826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2015, 04:33 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Low frequency EMF dangers are... Not all that well documented for most folks (There are exceptions)

But the buzzing you hear is caused by metal leaves vibrating ..They do a fairly good job of containing the EMF.
Old 04-24-2015, 05:09 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Kent0826, That buzzing in coming form the Transfer Switch. There are two relays one for shore power and one for the generator that connect these sources to your coach's power system one at a time. With all low cost relays they tend to vertebrate and cause the buzzing. You might check the cover on the transfer switch and see if it is loose. My transfer box is metal and I have to work with the cover to get it not to vertebrate.
This on my list of things to improve on.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 06:05 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Poster #3 is right on target. Get into the area and do some checking. You can feel the vibrations easily. See if you can pinpoint exactly what is vibrating obviously with out touching something that's going to knock you across the room. Some times something has worked loose and can be tightened. I'd turn the power off and double check for any other voltage like 12Volts. Once you know nothing is live tighten all the screws, the wire connections for your power etc. Yes the relay will vibrate but it is amplified when something vibrates loose. These things happened all the time on Radar sets in the Air Force and we had 600 + amps going through the circuits with 6 million watts going out the feed horn.

You might also try some sound deadening sticky back foam like HushMat. Obviously you have to be careful exactly where you put that stuff. It's no different when you put your hand on a ringing bell. It dampens the vibrations.

TeJay
Old 04-24-2015, 06:16 PM   #5

Those targeting the x-fer switch are probably on it. Many brands of xfer switches use AC voltage contactors to switch voltage--as indicated by the name, "alternating current" units tend to chatter/buzz more as they get older. Suggest looking at a direct current-based switch [from Lyght] when the time comes to replace it.....
Another source for buzzing is the inverter/charge unit, if you have one....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 08:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Those targeting the x-fer switch are probably on it. Many brands of xfer switches use AC voltage contactors to switch voltage--as indicated by the name, "alternating current" units tend to chatter/buzz more as they get older. Suggest looking at a direct current-based switch [from Lyght] when the time comes to replace it.....
Another source for buzzing is the inverter/charge unit, if you have one....
I can hear my Zantrex RS2000 inverter from 40' away when there is no other loud noises, such as when parked at 14th and Plum.(14 miles plum out in the boonies.)
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service