Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-23-2011, 01:07 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

What to do with engine cover?

Pardon me if this has been asked & answered, but I couldn't find an answer using Search. I have a 2000 Itasca Horizon DP. Engine covers (2) are under the bed. I haven't taken them off yet, but want to do that to check cleanliness, see if my fan has a zerk fitting, check belt condition, etc.

When you pull those covers off, what do you do with them? I'm sure they are dirty on the engine side, and I don't want to get my carpet dirty. Do you put the covers on the floor on a tarp, or carry them outside? Maybe there's a simple solution. If so, I would like to know it. Thanks as always for the help!
gfs1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 03:17 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I usually carry our hatch covers outside being very careful not to touch anything on the way out.

We have the Cat 3126B (300hp) with the fan drive zerk. A Freightliner tech shared the secret of how to get the grease gun to fit. Buy another tip for your grease gun and then carefully grind a flat spot on one side, the clearances are very tight.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:51 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks a million!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martind4 View Post
I usually carry our hatch covers outside being very careful not to touch anything on the way out.

We have the Cat 3126B (300hp) with the fan drive zerk. A Freightliner tech shared the secret of how to get the grease gun to fit. Buy another tip for your grease gun and then carefully grind a flat spot on one side, the clearances are very tight.
Thanks a million for that tip. I have the same engine, and I need to buy a new grease gun anyway, so I'll just get an extra tip and grind it.

I thought it would be best to carry the engine covers outside, but didn't know if there is a simpler solution. I think I'll put a tarp on the bedroom floor anyway, to protect the carpet from ME if I get too greasy.

I see that the operator's manual says to take the mattress off the bed before raising the bed platform to get to the engine covers. Do you take the mattress off? I'm thinking of making a prop rod out of a 1 X 4 board, and leaving the mattress on if I can raise the platform high enough.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:15 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

I put two dry wall screws in the bottom corners of the bed platform; then I cut two pieces of 3/4" pvc pipe to fit the length I needed to get the proper height. I put the bottom ends in each corner & the top ends over the screw heads to prevent slipping and getting hit in the head by the bottom of the bed. This worked for me when I replaced my exhaust manifold.
hope this helps...
safe journeys...
skipwil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 06:48 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Sir,
At the risk of sounding a bit sarcastic, I think you're thinking about this way too much. Yes, there are two covers. At least that's the way it is in our '04 Itasca. One, the closest one to the foot of the bed, is around 36" x 40". It's just a tad bulky but, certainly manageable. The second one, is around 12-15" x about the same width, around 40". Never had that one off yet. But, all you have to do is lay an old sheet or something that you pic, on the floor and take that larger cover off and put it on the sheet and lean it up against the window frame or whatever you pic. Add another sheet of towel or something to keep the wall from getting etched. Unless you're going to drive around with the hatch cover off, you shouldn't get any etching on any of the walls while you're in there for maintenance. Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:25 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfs1943 View Post
I see that the operator's manual says to take the mattress off the bed before raising the bed platform to get to the engine covers. Do you take the mattress off? I'm thinking of making a prop rod out of a 1 X 4 board, and leaving the mattress on if I can raise the platform high enough.
If I'm going to be doing much work in the engine compartment, I take the mattress off and actually remove the hinged mattress platform (4 screws and 2 gas struts) and move it into the kitchen area. It gives me more room to work and I don't have to worry about getting something dirty. Old sheets on the carpet keeps me out of trouble with the DW.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:58 PM   #7
RKL
Winnebago Owner

what to do with engine cover

I slide the mattress off to one side and stand it up on its side against the side out cabinets...then I remove the screws on the bed platform ( already eliminated the gas struts) and side it towards the front of the coach and fold over the top hinged part,,,,then I remove the rear engine hatch and simply stand it up like it was on a hinge against the rear wall...I do my zerk greasing etc while laying on my stomach on the wood bed platform...When done there I fold down the hatch, bolt it up and then stand up the bed platform against the wall seperating the bedroom from the bath and remove the 2nd engine hatch and open it up like a hinge and let it rest upward....When finished, I reverse the process.....this has worked well for me for 6 years on my 36 GD....I made a prop to hold up the mattress when replacing the ac filters...not hard to raise up the bed and insert the prop.......keep it simple....never found any dirt on the engine side of the hatches...usually found dust on the bed side....RKL
Old 10-28-2011, 12:33 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Thanks again to all who responded. Every answer is helpful to me.