Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2005, 03:33 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

My 36 Itasca is new and I haven't weighed it yet. What is a good rule of thumb tire pressure to maintain? I've been running 110psi but someone said they kept 100 in all 6 tires.
BradandJanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 03:33 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

My 36 Itasca is new and I haven't weighed it yet. What is a good rule of thumb tire pressure to maintain? I've been running 110psi but someone said they kept 100 in all 6 tires.
BradandJanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 04:30 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Like you, I kept my tires at max until I was able to get it weighed. Was very surprised to find that even fully loaded for a trip, I could reduce my pressures to 90. I elected to use 95 to allow for any left/right imbalance since I was only able to get axle weights and not individual tire weights.

Unless you've loaded your compartments with lead ingots, 100 is probably OK, but try to get weighed soon. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I assume when you say "36 Itasca" that you are talking about a Meridian (Journey twin). If it's a Horizon (don't know if there is a 36 model), you are probably heavier and shouldn't lower your pressures until you weigh it...
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 04:36 AM   #4
Administrator Emeritus

There is indeed a 36RD Itasca Horizon (big brother twin of Vectra),it has a 12K front axle and a 20K rear.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 04:46 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

And then there's the new Ellipse with 2 36' models. They have the Journey/Meridian front axle and a 19k rear.

Best advice - get it weighed
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 06:29 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Why is no one suggesting to use the weight that is listed in the MH by Winnie? It should be a good start until you get it weighed.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:21 AM   #7
KCE
Winnebago Owner

Mine coach sticker says 70 lbs. I've been in the tire business 30yrs. No way I'm going to use that.
KCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 05:51 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KCE:
Mine coach sticker says 70 lbs. I've been in the tire business 30yrs. No way I'm going to use that. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You probably have a replacment sticker in your info case as I did stating 80psi tire pressure.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 04:04 AM   #9
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BradandJaneen:
I've been running 110psi but someone said they kept 100 in all 6 tires. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Could we please have your year, make and model and then we can help you determine what an initial pressure should be in your tires. If you're running a gas rig, 110psi/tire is way too much pressure.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 04:40 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

The best rule to follow is: get the Tire Maunfacture"s Tire Guide either at a tire dealer or on line and then follow the recommendation set forth in the guide, then get your coach weighed at all 4 corners.

I'm sorry to say, about the time you take someones personal recommendation that they use for their coach, you could create a problem for your self and your tires.

Now, you should have a Tire Pressure Chart type sticker some where in your coach, with the factory recommendations printed on it, but the best way is to get your coach weighed and follow the Tire Manufacture's recommendations.

If you ever have a tire problem and want a successfull warranty claim, follow the procedure the Tire Manufacture Describes and keep records of dates tires were checked and serviced. Always check tires COLD.

radarr
Old 12-24-2005, 04:51 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

The rule of thumb is to open the driver's door and there is a sticker from Winnebago that tells you the tire pressure. I have maintained this pressure for almost 3 years and 18,000 miles with no problems. I have a 35U and I run 90psi on the front and 85 on the duals. I don't bother to get it weighed as I am always shifting cargo from one compartment to another. When I stop for a break I feel my tires and hit them with a truckers bat.

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Sugar & Spice our Shih-Tzus
Captain Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 07:06 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Captain Bud, could you explain a little about the "trucker's bat"? What to do, why and so forth?

thanks.

A banjo will get you through a time of no money much better than money will get you through a time of no banjo.
Banjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 08:26 AM   #13
Administrator Emeritus

"Trucker's Bat" on ebay

Banjar,this is a wooden device that truckers use in place of an air gauge to determine the status of their tires.
(Makes a good self defense device too,I've heard....
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 05:53 AM   #14
KCE
Winnebago Owner

I always carry a 30yr old softball bat to check my tires at gas stations and truck stops. I get some interesting looks at gas stations and don't get bothered much by folks wanting a hand out. Never step out of the rv on the side of the road without the bat. Never know some kid may want to play ball.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:28 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

The spec on my driver's door says 90 psi front; 85 psi rears. The data on "My Winnebago" for my VIN says 100 psi front; 90 rears. So there ya go.

I had mine weighed on 4 corners; am now using 90 psi all around (per Michelin).

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 06:59 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Regarding the Truckers Bat and/or use of a softball bat to check tire pressure - how exactly are these items used? Is this a joke or a way to really check tire pressure? I am only a few months into this and can use all the help I can.
Thanks

2004 Winnebago Sightseer 30'
auntsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 07:22 AM   #17
KCE
Winnebago Owner

Antsis[/B]: Regarding the "Bat"

Using a bat to solidly hit each tire during a short stop and becoming familiar with the sound and feel of the bat lets you know quickly if a tire is going flat. It is by no means a replacement for a tire gauge and knowing the exact pressure you should use for each tire.

Plus I've never been approached by anyone looking for a handout or anyone that would like to help himself to my possessions. Also if anyone wants to play softball I'm ready.