Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2014, 02:19 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

What's this for?

I have a 2014 Sightseer (33C). In the compartment above the passenger seat are a bunch of cables ... connections for satellite, dvd / vcr players, etc. One of the items with these cables is a little transformer (looks like one used for charging phones, kindles, etc) plugged into 120 outlet. Lead from transformer goes into opening other cables go into. I've unplugged it with no obvious effect to TV or Jacks antenna.

What is this transformer for?
gwtriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 02:23 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

It might be power supply for TV antenna booster. Check your owner's manual and see if it's identified.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 02:25 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwtriker View Post
I have a 2014 Sightseer (33C). In the compartment above the passenger seat are a bunch of cables ... connections for satellite, dvd / vcr players, etc. One of the items with these cables is a little transformer (looks like one used for charging phones, kindles, etc) plugged into 120 outlet. Lead from transformer goes into opening other cables go into. I've unplugged it with no obvious effect to TV or Jacks antenna.

What is this transformer for?
Don't know for sure about yours,but mine works the satellite TV antenna.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:42 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Might be for the IR repeater.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:37 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

gwtriker, what kind of satellite dish do you have on the roof if any?
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:53 PM   #6

if you use the RGB cable ( red green blue )video cable that's used on some units there is a gizzie attached to the other end of that transformer that has a one in two out cable unit so you can use the RGB cable on the tv inside and the tv out side. I found out the hard way mine was not plugged in and I tore the motor home up from inside tv to outside tv to the over head compartment chasing the cables and found after that transformer was plugged in that little gizzie would double the signal and all worked good.one good thing after being in that over head compartment I found no real insulation up there and it gets hot with that big windshield going all the way up with black covering on the glass. The temperature was over 145 degrees f in there so I purchased some of that 1/4 inch insulation an added a couple layers up there .brought the temp down to 100 degrees f. we had a lot of time this past winter in the Florida keys to putter around. Kind of happy now that it happened, know more about the unit now. there is a lot of cabling that you never see if you don't rip stuff apart .
spanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:39 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

SPANTUS was right ....Winnebago says it powers the HDMI converter / CATE 6 transmitter. Don't need it plugged in till I hook up auxiliary electronics to system.
gwtriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:56 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

On my Vectra there is a parasitic transformer in that cabinet that powers the GPS DVD-reader (for loading updated map info). The wire then wraps around/behind the overhead row of cabinets, crosses just above the windshield, and connects to the DVD reader in the cabinet above the driver's seat. I unplugged it, too. \ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote