Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2018, 07:16 PM   #1

Wheel removal?

Hey everybody, we just bought a Class A, 2016 Vista LX, 27N. Being a DIY guy, I am putting together tools, and since ours came with a spare, I figured I would get a big cheater bar and a deep socket to fit the lug nuts.

So, I pulled out the little tool to remove the lug nut covers and as I got down to apply said tool, thought that the covers are part of a trim ring.

Am I right in assuming this? If so, does it just pop off like the old trim rings they used to put cars?

This is our first motorhome, so I am sure a ton of questions will follow. Thanks.

hawk_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2018, 11:14 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

There are many styles of wheel covers. Mine are held on by 2 half lugnuts that tighten over the wheel cover. Then two lugnut covers snap over the half nuts. The other 8 lugnuts are hidden inside lugnut covers that are part of the wheel cover. Other styles have different types of attachment strategies.

You might check with the RV manufacturer to find out the brand of wheel covers you have. You could take a clear photo of the wheel and do a Google Image search to see if you can figure it out that way.

Dicor is a major seller.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 01:49 AM   #3

My coach came with a tool to remove the covers. Looks like a socket with a small breaker bar attached. Three of the lugs on the cover are removable with the wrench. These lugs look like the others but have detents on the lugs to let you know which are removable. If you try to remove the wrong ones they will just spin.
Old 05-10-2018, 02:50 AM   #4

My Vista came with the tool also. Two of the lug nuts covers unscrew so you can remove the cap. Look closely at the base of the lug covers and you'll see two that look different. They will be opposite each other. I have 22.5 inch wheels so mine might be different.
Old 05-10-2018, 06:59 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Another thing I purchased ( instead of the cheater bar) was a Torque Converter to remove the lug nuts. Makes removing the lug nuts a piece of cake. Bought it off Amazon
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 01:10 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I carry a four foot piece of pipe that fits over the tool that came with the coach.

Oddly, the coach came with the tool but no spare, I purchased one from craigslist.

2007 Forest River Lexington Ford E450 Chassis
bruceh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 03:04 PM   #7

Thanks for the help folks, got the wheel trim off and figured out what size the lugnuts are. 21mm if anyone is curious.

Previous owner put a spare in the rear storage, just need a jack, large breaker bar and extension. If I have everything, I wont need it. Seems that how it works.
hawk_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 03:14 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceh View Post
I carry a four foot piece of pipe that fits over the tool that came with the coach.

Oddly, the coach came with the tool but no spare, I purchased one from craigslist.
Nothing odd about no spare, most Type A's don't come with one.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 11:37 AM   #9

To remove the lug nut cover I purchased a socket to fit the two dimpled nuts. The wrench that Winnebago provides looked flimsy.

When I took my rig in for new tires they used my hydraulic Jack's to lift the rig.

Safe travels.
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 04:39 PM   #10

You can also find the real nuts by tapping on them. The real ones sound solid. The fake ones sound empty. As stated, the two real ones also have a dimple on them.
Old 05-12-2018, 09:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowboat View Post
When I took my rig in for new tires they used my hydraulic Jack's to lift the rig.

Safe travels.

Be careful about doing that. Yeah, you're saving time, but you can hyper-extend your air bags and that could potentially shorten their life time. Any good tire shop will have the appropriate jack to lift your rig.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 09:34 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
Be careful about doing that. Yeah, you're saving time, but you can hyper-extend your air bags and that could potentially shorten their life time. Any good tire shop will have the appropriate jack to lift your rig.
For me, gas rig that doesn't have air bags.
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 02:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowboat View Post
For me, gas rig that doesn't have air bags.

Yeah, that could make a difference. The other thing I neglected to mention is that with or without airbags, you can still put landing pads under the jacks to get the wheels off the ground without straining anything. Have done that myself numerous times...successfully.

The big issue is that no more than one rear wheel off the ground at a time and never the fronts at the same time as a rear, and finally, always chock the wheels.

Sorry if any lurkers were mislead.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 07:49 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
Another thing I purchased ( instead of the cheater bar) was a Torque Converter to remove the lug nuts. Makes removing the lug nuts a piece of cake. Bought it off Amazon
Could you provide a link? The only Torque Converters I know of are part of the transmission and that is all a Google search returned.

bigb56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
removal