Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2005, 03:34 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

This might sound like a silly and mundane question, but this is our first RV.

What do folks normally do with the dining table chairs when underway? On the 40AD that we did our test drive in, we just turned the chairs upside down on the dining table which was admittedly dangerous. A panic stop would have turned the chairs into flying missiles. That was the best idea we had for them in a short period of time we had for the test drive.

We would particulary covet answers from Buck n Jeff, Woody, hogbreth or those with the 40AD model, but all responses are solicited.

Any other tips for our upcoming maiden voyage?

-John

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 03:34 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

This might sound like a silly and mundane question, but this is our first RV.

What do folks normally do with the dining table chairs when underway? On the 40AD that we did our test drive in, we just turned the chairs upside down on the dining table which was admittedly dangerous. A panic stop would have turned the chairs into flying missiles. That was the best idea we had for them in a short period of time we had for the test drive.

We would particulary covet answers from Buck n Jeff, Woody, hogbreth or those with the 40AD model, but all responses are solicited.

Any other tips for our upcoming maiden voyage?

-John

Old 05-19-2005, 04:03 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

John, I only own a Newmar but have a dining table we have four chairs two stright an two folding. The folding chairs go into a cloths closet on ours but I have two extra folding for all our company. The four chairs around table have never moved on a panic stop they are on a rug surface, if you have tile surface Mfg usually supply tie downs or belts to tie legs to table legs. Getting anguish I see, time is short. ---"007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 04:13 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Hey John,

We leave the chairs on either side of the table as if you were sitting at the table (pushed in a little). (I hope that makes sense)

We tried other locations but they seemed to get in the way anywhere else but where they belong, at the table.

We have made a few abrupt stops on our travels(25,600 miles and counting!), and so far we never had a chair move(well maybe a little) or fall over. You can get a strap and loop it around both chair bases to tie the two chairs together, but we have not found that to be necessary.

Good luck with your new toy!

When does the dish go on ?(datastorm)

Cheers!

2004 Horizon 40AD
BucknJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 04:15 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

John, I am not any of the aforementioned but I will tell you that my 05 Meridian came with velcor tie straps to fasten the chair legs to the table leg.

Shawn
Old 05-19-2005, 04:25 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

John, my Bus is a bit different. We have a legless table that slides out of a cabinet on the wall. I asked Bob Tiffin about traveling with chairs. He said to set the two non-folding chairs right by the table. Slide the front one up against the couch and the rear one up against the table. That way they won't tip forward in a panic stop. We did that and it works just fine. Just don't do any wheelies when you pop the clutch.

For the rear folding chairs I made two U shaped flat steel brackets and screwed them to the back wall of the bedroom closet, which is cedar paneling. I then lined them with the fuzzy half of Velcro and stand the folding chairs up against the back wall. The bracket holds the top of the chair from tipping forward and both chairs are out of the way and flat up against the back wall. This works well for me.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 05:23 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I'd suggest caution here. You might wish to have a look at the RV.net thread and the related photos that were posted after a Phaeton head on with an SUV (both people in the SUV were killed). As I recall, the fellow did not have the lounge chair anchored and it hit him. These chairs could become projectiles very easily.

Our previous coach had a stand alone and it came with a good supply of velcro tie downs. Without table legs, that certainly is another issue.

My DW would NOT allow me to travel without everything anchored down.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:37 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Thanks everybody for the responses! It might take a while to figure out the best storage method, but straps around the chairs while four legs down sounds like a good idea to start with.

As a matter of fact, I did see the pictures of the Phaeton wreck on rv.net - that was sobering

Buck n Jeff - the Datastorm is scheduled to be installed next Thursday and Friday while we are at Lazydays' Rally Park. SecureSat plans for two days for all of their installs to deal with bad weather or problems to be overcome. Hopefully I will be on the forums using it in a week!

Yup - getting anxious Just made arrangements with Hertz for a one-way rental from the house to Lazydays. Everything is coming together nicely - now if the coach is in good shape it will be high-fives all around.

Thanks to everybody over the past few months who have helped me come from zero RV knowledge to where I am now (whatever/where ever that is )

--John

Old 05-19-2005, 07:15 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Wow John, you are really getting close now.

When you get the Datastorm all setteled in you might want to take a look at the folowing SW. Might be something you can use.

http://www.controlap.com

03 Horizon 39QD
Rick Buddrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 09:59 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

John Canfield, I sent you a private message re: "things to look for" at the PDI.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:59 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Hey John,

Another thought re: Chairs, folding, 2 each.

When you get your coach, the folding "guest" Dining Room chairs are generally located in the bedroom closet, in a well located behind the right closet door (as you face the closet).

They should be packed in some protective foam sleeves. SAVE THE PACKAGING!

We opt to use the "well" area for our clothes hamper. It has a nice carpeted cover, which can be propped open for easy access, as well as closed. This keeps all of the soiled laundry out of site, and makes it somewhat convenient for retrival at wash time.

Now, what to do with the chairs.

Our coach has the slide out tray in the second curb-side bay. The "rear" part of the tray has reduced clearance due to the chassis structure. This is the area we stow the extra chairs. If you retain the packing materials, you can wrap the chairs, and then nest them together, and place in this rear part of the tray. It works great, and the chairs have gone 25,000 miles without a scratch.

I'm sure there are some other great ideas out there, and I look forward to steeling them soon!

How many minutes till you pick it up?

2004 Horizon 40AD
BucknJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 02:24 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BucknJeff:
Another thought re: Chairs, folding, 2 each.

How many minutes till you pick it up?
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>Chairs, folding, 2 each: What a riot.. you have been in the military

We did order the basement slide - putting the folding chairs into the inboard part of it sounds like a great idea. The hanging locker needs to be a hanging locker. I think you are talking about the well in the hanging locker for dirty clothes - that sounds good... we have not figured out where to keep the hamper or dirty clothes. That sounds like the best place yet.

Minutes to go.. Hmmm.. lets see.. About 8,640 but who's counting

Yes - we need an idea bank.. after all plagarism is a very sincere form of flattery. You should feel very honored that I will be using your idea ;-)

--John

Old 05-23-2005, 04:49 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

The dining chairs in our Journey are secured with a nylon strap that keeps them upright and snug against the table.

The folding chairs were stored under the bed..previous owner said they never used them. Actually, the folding chairs are quite nice and very comfy...my preference would be to use them at the dining table and leave the larger chairs at home but DW says no!
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 04:58 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by smlranger:
...my preference would be to use them at the dining table and leave the larger chairs at home but DW says no! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>"She who must be obeyed!"

Old 05-25-2005, 05:50 PM   #15
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Two at the dinette strapped in, two in the bedroom closet strapped to the wall, one in the garage hanging on the wall.
Old 05-30-2005, 05:34 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Hey John, sorry to take so long getting back to you, but I have not had access lately. As has been previously mentioned, we use the velcro to strap the chair legs together. My DW did not like having the folding chairs just laying on the floor of the closet. (Took up to much room for all of her shoes). She opened the "Well area hatch" in the closet and stood the chairs upright and then placed the clothes hamper next to them. Did not feel that we would be packing long gowns or pants in our travels. BucknJeff has a great idea for them in the tray.

2005 Itasca Horizon, 40AD, 2005 Chevy Silverado
Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 09:44 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Hey Woody - that sounds like a good idea. I wonder if that area on top of the well gets hot. We haven't figured out what to do with the hamper as yet.

--John