Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2018, 01:43 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our experience is the younger the better to get them used to the motion and the noise. Our previous tuxedo cat loved to travel, she was used to it since we had been taking her since she was a kitten. Our current tux, HATED the travel part, could not get used to it. She was about a year or so old (we think) when we adopted her. We leave her home now with a petsitter. She is much happier.
As above, a short hair cat is preferable, unless you don't mind globs of fur everywhere. They shed like mad when they're nervous, so bear that in mind.
If not chipped, please get her chipped and registered. This outfit will register your cat for free.
https://www.foundanimals.org/
Even if chipped and registered, it can't hurt to register her there.
I agree, female is better, they are less frantic, although maybe a bit more neurotic at times.
Good advice on the scratching post.
Good luck!
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2018, 03:32 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Tink, was 8 wks when adopted, now 13 yrs. A medium hair gray tabby (rescue) She has been traveling since the beginning. She loves to go for golf cart rides, also ride on the 4 wheeler. Started leash training right after healing from the spay. She like to be out on a leash and will walk with you.

Years past we had Siamese cats, they were not to keen on traveling, and quite vocal about it!
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 03:49 PM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
2 cats is a great idea. When we only had 1 we noticed if we were gone for any length of time there were sighs of stress when we got back, mainly lots of hair he had chewed off. As soon as we got the 2nd cat all the signs of stress disappeared. They were both usually asleep when we got back.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:20 AM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
You may not like cleaning up after dogs, but cats require the same daily poop pickup that dogs do. Which brings up litter boxes - you are going to need at least one. If you end up with a male cat, make your own litter box out of a plastic storage container. Keep the lid on and cut a hole in the end for the cat to enter. Some male cats like to pee standing up and having a solid barrier there will help you keep the coach clean.

Cats like to explore and will get themselves into places you don't want them to - like under the dash or under the bed. Do a nose count before closing those slides. You can also effectively block access with foam core board, pillows, etc.

Picking cats out of a rescue can be tricky. Ask if they have a cat that grew up around kids and dogs - they seem to be less affected by noise and commotion.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:37 AM   #19

We started full timing with our 2 rescue cats that spent the first 8 years in our S/B house. When we moved into the fifth wheel the old cats did not like riding in the truck and constantly meowed and would pee all over their cages. Our solution was to leave them in the FW and let them figure it out which worked. Those cats have sinced passed and our new 1 year old rescue cat does better riding in the truck but still doesn't like it. One thing to note is that the younger cat likes to tear around the RV and is full of energy vs an older cat. Also, a younger cat needs to be played with (fishing pole w/stuffed mouse) and mentally stimulated. I would suggest putting the cat on a leash outside the RV occasionally so they get used to what the RV looks like from the outside. That way if the cat escapes out the door, they will recognize the camper and know where the entrance door is. Most animals aren't stupid and won't run away from the home that feeds them, but they need to be able to recognize the home.

Cooperhawk - From below post, we must have your psycho twin cat, only we made it 4 weeks between old to new cat!
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:53 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Oh yeah, cats. I had a large black Lab who was just a sweetheart. My DW decided she needed a companion so she got a little calico cat from Pets Mart rescue. The cat took over. Only problem was she hated the MH when we moved it. The solution was to kennel her whenever we moved. She calmed right down. She and the dog became best buddies. They both died of old age. That really really hurt.

DW said never again would she get a pet just to have it die. So two weeks later we got another cat.

This little black and white also travels in a kennel, but she is psycho. She's an entertainer. She races around and attacks my feet unannounced. No claws, she hits me and then stops and looks into my eyes like, "Gotcha Dummy", and then runs away. She is a lot of fun.

The new clumping litter practically eliminates any odor. In fact I can't usually smell anything. Usually. Sometimes, well, that's part of the game.

Hope I outlive this one. It hurts too much.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 10:30 AM   #21

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

Based on the advice here, I think I'll look for a short or medium haired 1 yo and 5 yo, females. Since I'm going to get them from the local shelter, I'll have them do the shots and stuff or take their recommendation of where to do it. I'll try to do the 'drap over the shoulder test', and test fit a harness.

As far as the litter box goes, I'll only use one the first few weeks they're here. Then I'll introduce them to using the toilet, cats can be trained for that easily enough. Litter Kwitter looks good...but so does this one: CitiKitty

Should be fun. There's sales of cat parifinalia here where I'm staying in Pahrump, NV. There's also several big box stores with plenty of cat related supplies. Even have a large nearby Pet Store.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 12:12 PM   #22

Follow up: I adopted a 4yo tabby, female, spayed, chipped, on Dec. 14th. Didn't take long to realize how smart she is. Took to the place right off, spent hours exploring. When she'd try to scratch furniture, I'd squirt her and she'd back off. Got some nail clippers and she didn't mind getting clipped and I didn't have to watch her as much

...and then I got an umbilical hernia. After a couple days of pain, headed to the hospital and left the cat alone to guard the entire house. Have auto-water and auto-feeder plus the gate guard volunteered to come in and visit and check on food and the litter box.

After two full days away, came back to recuperate from the surgery and there was no cat damage in the house at all. No claw marks (she still has some of her claws left after the clipping) on any of the furniture.

So I think she'll handle driving in the RV fine and I won't get her a companion until a few months have passed instead of the couple weeks I had planned on.

Great cat, now I have to come up with a better name than 'Blackie'. She's not even black. Also, she likes to snooze in my lap while I watch TV so that's good. And I already taught her to NOT jump up on my lap or keyboard while I'm working on the computer and she took right to it. Smart.

Old 12-26-2018, 04:18 PM   #23

Jim-

It's customary to post a picture of the newest resident in the house. ;-)
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 05:21 PM   #24

OK, here ya go, pictures of Cat Who Has No Name (Yet)

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2032.rzd.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	170.9 KB
ID:	230162

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2033.rzd.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	207.4 KB
ID:	230163

Old 12-26-2018, 07:24 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
OK, here ya go, pictures of Cat Who Has No Name (Yet)

Attachment 230162

Attachment 230163
Pretty cat - sounds like you found a great traveling companion! Don't know what you are doing for litter box location or what coach you have, but we put our cat's box under the bed in our 2014 Journey 36M (north-south queen bed). Put a cat door in the side of the bed foundation and he has no problem getting thru and using the box (about 10lbs but our last one was 13), even with slides in. Part of the box cover lifts up to make it easier to scoop, and 99.9% of the time we never smell anything![emoji4]Click image for larger version

Name:	20181124_090835~3.jpeg
Views:	46
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	230183
Rmedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 07:27 PM   #26

Tried to delete my duplicate post but seems I could only edit so left this.[emoji849]
Rmedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 07:57 PM   #27

Careful with getting a second cat. Sometimes there can be issues with not using the litter box that the other cat uses. Cats aren't pack animals and can get bad habits with a new arrival. Do some reading.
Old 12-26-2018, 08:03 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim18655 View Post
Careful with getting a second cat. Sometimes there can be issues with not using the litter box that the other cat uses. Cats aren't pack animals and can get bad habits with a new arrival. Do some reading.
Interesting. Never heard that one before.

I'm planning on eliminating the litter box in favor of training them to use the toilet anyway so don't think that'll be an issue if I get a 2nd cat.

As far as the litter box goes, it fits nicely (temporary setup) between the shower and my bedroom door.

Tags
cat