Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2019, 05:04 AM   #29

I took mine out couple weeks after i got the motorhome. Turned it on on the drive from tx where i bought the rv and driving home to mn didnt hear anything but static on most of the channels....much prefer streaming music
neub is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2019, 10:46 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherMike View Post
Like the previous poster said, CB is the lowest common denominator in 2-way radio.

The biggest technical issue with CB is that a truly effective antenna is 9 feet long. Anything shorter is a compromise and results in less range.

I have a ham radio, a CB and a commercial 2-way radio in my RV, and all prove useful.

And a ham radio license is trivial to get - at our last class and test session we had an 8 year old pass on their first try.
AnotherMike,
May I ask, what are you referring to as a “commercial “ radio?
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 05:43 PM   #31

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Uniden in MH, Connex in truck, Galaxy somewhere. Have had Cobras.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 01:11 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
AnotherMike,
May I ask, what are you referring to as a “commercial “ radio?
Scott
The ham radio is a dual band (146 MHz and 440 MHz) the "commercial" radio is a retired Motorola radio that was originally made for the 42-50 MHz frequencies. I acquired it in surplus (it was retired by a fire department) and converted it to 43-54 MHz as there is a ham band at 50-54. I am semi retired and associated with a local 2-way radio shop (I've known the owner through ham radio since the late 1970s) and I know a bunch of people in the local Red Cross chapters. As long as I had extra channel positions in the radio I programmed the nationwide Red Cross channel at 47.42 MHz and several local Chapters have licensed additional channels in the 47.5 to 47.6 MHz range.

I chose to use the old fire department radio as it was darned near free, and public safety (i.e. police and fire) commercial radios are built to a much higher quality than any ham radio. They are usually much more sensitive and much more immune to interference.
Old 06-02-2019, 01:56 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherMike View Post
The ham radio is a dual band (146 MHz and 440 MHz) the "commercial" radio is a retired Motorola radio that was originally made for the 42-50 MHz frequencies. I acquired it in surplus (it was retired by a fire department) and converted it to 43-54 MHz as there is a ham band at 50-54. I am semi retired and associated with a local 2-way radio shop (I've known the owner through ham radio since the late 1970s) and I know a bunch of people in the local Red Cross chapters. As long as I had extra channel positions in the radio I programmed the nationwide Red Cross channel at 47.42 MHz and several local Chapters have licensed additional channels in the 47.5 to 47.6 MHz range.

I chose to use the old fire department radio as it was darned near free, and public safety (i.e. police and fire) commercial radios are built to a much higher quality than any ham radio. They are usually much more sensitive and much more immune to interference.
Hey Mike,
Thanks for getting back to me on this. I've been a Ham for about 11 years now (just renewed my license) and am getting into it a tad deeper than I was for the first ten years. But, still a "Tech".
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 10:12 PM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
I use the CB

And wish that more rv users on the road did. It would be nice to meet folks and chat on long hauls.
That said...The best use for our Cobra 29 has been when there are accidents or traffic problems. It has saved us many hours of sitting dead still...or worse...creep and go...just by getting a heads-up
Just my .02
Towing 2015 Ford CMax Energi
ziaptrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 04:38 AM   #35

We have a Galaxy CB in our coach and it's turned on every time the coach is used. To me it's considered a safety feature that no cell phone or GPS can duplicate.

True, the airwaves are often filled with silence or mindless gibberish, but when there is a traffic situation or sudden problem the CB is often where I find out first. As example is last week driving back to Milwaukee through the Wisconsin Dells area - freeway is kind of windy so you can't see too far ahead. It was raining heavy and traffic was thick. Hearing on CB that traffic was coming to a halt at a particular mile marker ahead allowed me time to dry my brakes, leave extra space ahead of me, and make preparations to slow down safely. Sure beats trying to making an emergency stop with wet drum brakes in heavy traffic.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote