RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2018, 01:22 PM   #1

Who's towing a Jeep with a Navion or View?

While I find this site helpful for the most part, many of the threads devolve into personal preferences BEFORE the OP question get answered. So I am asking this very specific question.
Is there anyone towing a Jeep Wrangler(not a Rubicon loaded with options) or a Cherokee (NOT a Grand).
What is your total combined gross weight without all your stuff if you know it. I have seen many on the road but have not talked with anyone about any of it.
Does it pull ok? Are you actually OVER the CGVW? By how much if you are.

I plan to flat tow.
Thanks for your input!
Darius

DariusB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2018, 01:48 PM   #2
Member since 2005

Winnebago Owners Club
You may want to also look here since there have been recent discussions regarding your question;

Winnebago Class C Motorhomes - Winnebago Owners Online Community

Actually the recent discussion is happening here, so sorry;

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=71766

WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:34 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
DariusB,

You have posted the same question on multiple forums and everyone has given you a correct or helpful answer.

While I wouldn't tow a Jeep with a Sprinter chassis, there are people who do so - usually a stripped down Wrangler that weighs at or less than 4000 lbs. So if you really want to tow a Jeep, pick the model you intend to buy and have the dealer run it across a scale. Forget what is printed about the weight, actually weigh it.

I don't know which is more important to you, the Jeep or the Sprinter based motorhome. Sometimes you can't have both.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:47 AM   #4

That is why I posted this very specific question to see if anyone has the EXACT set up I am considering spending a ton of money on. Dealers are not going to run all these vehicles over scales to satisfy my curiosity.

Even your answer , while it may be a good answer as have others been, it does not answer my exact question.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:22 AM   #5
Member since 2005

Winnebago Owners Club
You may want to checkout this video;

WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:30 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DariusB View Post
That is why I posted this very specific question to see if anyone has the EXACT set up I am considering spending a ton of money on. Dealers are not going to run all these vehicles over scales to satisfy my curiosity.

Even your answer , while it may be a good answer as have others been, it does not answer my exact question.
Why don't you find a Jeep forum and ask them what a specific model, equipped with the options you are considering, might weigh?
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 09:12 AM   #7

Quote:

No one is going to have the EXACT set up you are talking about. All Navions or Views will have the same GVWR, but each will have a different weight depending on options. Each will have stickers on the doors or pillars giving the GVWR and the carrying capacity for that particular RV, as it came from the factory. The same is true for every Jeep , or any other vehicle you are looking at. There's no need to run a vehicle over a scale unless something has been added to it, after leaving the builder.

It's a safe bet that a Navion or View, towing a jeep, is going to be around or over what they are rated for.

While doing a quick search just on IRV2, I came across this thread where people are talking of OCCCs of between 900 something pounds and 1400 something pounds.
Sprinter Class weight - increasing OCCC
Mich F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 09:39 AM   #8

If you weigh your View with a normal load, then weigh your jeep. Don't guess you can then decide if you can tow it. My 15 View G is at the max 11,020 so I tow a 15 Ford Fiesta. It tows well but weighs 2600 lbs. You can tow 5 K if you get the
Old 12-14-2018, 11:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnieView View Post
You may want to checkout this video;

Thanks for this link. It led to many other videos that have helped me get my head around this issue. I completely understand the "math" , weighing, all of that.

Since I will be spending well north of $125k I want to make damn sure I get it as right as I can going in!
Old 12-14-2018, 11:40 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich F View Post
No one is going to have the EXACT set up you are talking about. All Navions or Views will have the same GVWR, but each will have a different weight depending on options. Each will have stickers on the doors or pillars giving the GVWR and the carrying capacity for that particular RV, as it came from the factory. The same is true for every Jeep , or any other vehicle you are looking at. There's no need to run a vehicle over a scale unless something has been added to it, after leaving the builder.

It's a safe bet that a Navion or View, towing a jeep, is going to be around or over what they are rated for.

While doing a quick search just on IRV2, I came across this thread where people are talking of OCCCs of between 900 something pounds and 1400 something pounds.
Sprinter Class weight - increasing OCCC

Thank you for this link...it had the exact info I was looking to uncover as well as other great input!
Old 12-14-2018, 11:42 AM   #11

Quote:

Find a Jeep dealer that's near a truck stop with a scale and swing by on a test drive and weigh it.
MJM1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 07:22 PM   #12

Click image for larger version

Name:	JK_tow_setup.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	528.4 KB
ID:	232409
2016 View V - I flat tow a 2016 2dr jk Rubicon stock no issues. Just a bit slower through the Colorado mountains. Replaced the stock front bumper with a Rockhard aluminum bumper with roadmaster tow adapters.

Cyclops is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing