Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-23-2011, 08:40 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

WHY do they leave carpet under bed?

We bought a used '08 35j sightseer and thought our water pump was going bad, so we took off the mattress, unscrewed the wood frame top piece & lifted it up to get to the water pump (which turned out to be ok). What we found was the carpet goes entirely under the bed where the spare tire is as well as under the plumbing & water pump area! There was apparently some type of leak or water that got under the plastic at some point in time....the original owners never removed the plastic from the tiny area between the bed & night stand areas, and there was moisture there too. I removed the plastic beside the bed/nightstand & intend to at least use some type of carpet cleaner to help remove the stale/moldy odor. What would you do.....also remove plastic from under tire where it looks damp too?? I hate mold & this is crazy to me why in the world winnebago puts carpet under the bed area with all that maintenance stuff there! ugggg....venting! I want to rip out the carpet under the entire bed, hubby looks at me like I'm crazy!

Advice from others is welcome!!!

michelle
luvmygolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:49 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

go for a factory tour and that will answer your question on the carpet under the bed
plus its a great way to spend a few hours
welcome
brianj
Old 06-23-2011, 11:09 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, TNcruiser....the suspense is killing me! Since we won't be able to make a factory tour for some time, mind filling in the mysterious answer for us? I figured it was simply easier to carpet the entire floor in production instead of cutting around the bed....

thanks for the welcome! We love this forum!!!

michelle
luvmygolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:26 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

It seems they carpet the units before all the cabinets and accessories are installed. Must be easier than making all those precision cuts to make it fit right. Our '82 Cross Country is the same way as is virtually every other coach I've read of here.
Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:18 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

The floor is attached to the frame and then carpet is put down. Side walls are then installed (most mfg.). If you check futher, most likely everything inside the unit is riding on carpet. Might be exceptiions but most are built that way. Cheap and fast......
southland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 03:55 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I believe there are several reasons the carpet is installed that way. As mentioned earlier it's far more cost effective to carpet the entire area than put down tack strips then cut around the cabinets and bed and stretch it to fit as is done in a stick house. The cost of a couple extra yards of carpeting is far less than the labor that would be necessary to do a traditional installation.

Secondly the carpet acts as a sound insulator. It muffles the road and drivetrain noise. Without it the coach would probably sound like driving an empty truck down the road.

Thirdly it acts as a temperature insulator. It helps keep the outdoor temperatures out doors, and helps minimize the amount of warm or cool air needed to keep the inside comfortable.
Old 06-24-2011, 04:03 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

As soon as the floor is built, the flooring goes in and then the walls set on top of that. Next in come the cabinets and other stuff which is set on top of the flooring. Cheaper to build it that way, but a real pain when you have to do repairs.

They only build them to last 10 or 15 years anyway now.

Ken
Old 06-24-2011, 04:16 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Less labor, another way to save money.
tvman44 is offline   Reply With Quote