Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-21-2013, 11:04 AM   #41
Winnebago Camper

Reubenray & others

Because truckers have no faith in your ability to drive that motorhome they usually won't flash their lights for you to come back over after passing. If they did and as you come over you hit a bump or something in the road lost control and crashed. The first you would tell your attorney is the truck driver flashed me telling me it was safe to come over. Therefore, truckers flash those the feel secure can handle what they are driving.

jack r
Jack R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 11:40 AM   #42
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
The State of Washington's way ahead of the game, I guess- you'll see signs like this all over the State.

Franseca--What interstate is this sign posted on??
Jack R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 12:33 PM   #43
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack R View Post
Franseca--What interstate is this sign posted on??
Jack, it wouldn't be an interstate, they don't have turnouts. You only see this on a 2-lane highway, on a 4 lane highway the signs would be "Slower traffic keep right".

I always thought the animosity between truckers and rv's was a much bigger deal 20-30 yrs ago, when the rv's were mostly under powered and there were far fewer multi-lane highways.

My 1999 35 ft rv was 275 hp compared to my '04 at 340 hp (+UltraPower). Now I have no problem keeping up with the average long haul trucker. And I let the ones that want to drive like a bat-out-of he!! fly by.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:00 PM   #44
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
To a trucker time is money. He/she can only drive a set number of hours before having manditory downtime. It doesn't matter if that time is spent sitting in a traffic jam, following someone at 45 mph or driving along at the speed limit. Every minute not driving at the legal limit costs time. The driver is paid a set salary/fee to deliver a load from A point to point B. The longer it takes to get from point A to point B the less money they're going to make for a week/month/year.

I've followed a number of RVer's that are far more interested in seeing scenery than getting to their destination. It's the nature of the game, but driving 45 mph in a 60 mph zone and slowing down to 30 mph to photograph the scenery is a good way to back up traffic and get those who need to get somewhere angry. Most RVer's are either retired or on vacation. Time isn't as important to them as someone trying to make a living on the road. If they don't get to a particular destination on a particular day, so what, there's always tomorrow.

I've also run into a number of Rver's whose driving skills aren't what they shold be for the type of vehicle they're trying to navigate. Many are used to driving a 4 door sedan that accelerates, brakes, and handles differently than a 10 or 20 ton truck. In most states you can drive an RV of any size with just a passenger car drivers license. I would much prefer a graduated drivers license program just like a CDL. You'de have to prove you know how to handle the type of vehicle you drive down the road.

Most professional drivers are courteous and well mannered. They will give an RVer a break knowing they aren't professionally trained and are navigating a somewhat under powered vehicle in an unfimilar environment. The other side of the coin is there are jerks in any occupation. The ones that think they own the road and anyone else not in their line of work should be banned are also the ones who would have a bad attitude in whatever profession they were in.
That sums it up very well. I always keep in mind, OTR drivers are working, I'm playing-stay out of their way when possible.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:07 PM   #45
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
The State of Washington's way ahead of the game, I guess- you'll see signs like this all over the State.

That's the law state-wide in Indiana too, only it's 7 vehicles. The law is directed at vehicles with SMV signs (<35 mph) but applies to any vehicle driving under the speed limit on 2 lane state roads.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:07 PM   #46
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duner View Post
Jack, it wouldn't be an interstate, they don't have turnouts. You only see this on a 2-lane highway, on a 4 lane highway the signs would be "Slower traffic keep right".

I always thought the animosity between truckers and rv's was a much bigger deal 20-30 yrs ago, when the rv's were mostly under powered and there were far fewer multi-lane highways.
This is actually the point...at least here in Washington, multi lane highways are the exception. A huge majority of highways here are two lane, and if there exists any animosity towards RV's, those are the roads that truckers "learn" it on. I doubt they give two hoots what folks do on Interstates, except maybe plug up rest areas and/or fuel islands at truck stops.

I do a lot of traveling on two lane highways, and I'm most scrupulous about watching the rear views for approaching trucks. I ALWAYS yield the road ahead as soon as it's safe to do so. This whether they're plastered on my tailgate or not!
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:43 PM   #47
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack R View Post
Reubenray & others

Because truckers have no faith in your ability to drive that motorhome they usually won't flash their lights for you to come back over after passing. If they did and as you come over you hit a bump or something in the road lost control and crashed. The first you would tell your attorney is the truck driver flashed me telling me it was safe to come over. Therefore, truckers flash those the feel secure can handle what they are driving.

jack r
Most ridiculous post I have read in a long time. How in the world can anyone determine how secure another driver of anything is in handling their vehicle?
I have always found truck drivers more accommodating to me and my toad when switching lanes and merging into traffic than 90% of the other drivers, especially at night. In addition, after 7 years driving my motorhome and pulling an SUV behind it, I have a much different view of and level of respect for truck drivers. Of course, I live in Atlanta where the minimum speed limit seems to be 85 mph.

300 HP Cat Diesel
GaDawgFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:43 PM   #48
Winnebago Watcher

Your going to run into some divers who dislike anyone getting in their way. Begin the wife, " co pilot "of an owner operator, I have seen at lot unsafe driving. Doesn't matter what your driving, unsafe is unsafe.
Here's my two cents, I think everyone should experience what it's like in a tractor trailer, fully loaded, in either down town L.A. or Dallas, Chicigo. It would sure open your eyes. Nothing more freighting then a 4 wheeler cutting you off, then suddenly stop, and your doing everything in your control to stop an 80000 load.
Happy driving...
Mary
zipposrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:47 PM   #49
Winnebago Watcher

Never thought much about rvers when I began driving for an 18 wheeler. But, after nearly 4 million miles I think about them as I did most truckers that i shared the road with. that is about 10 percent of them should not be on the road at all. All the rest of both groups are pretty good drivers but, the remaining 10 percent always seem to spoil the reputation of the rest of us. I have owned an RV for more than 40 years and I still enjoy it in spite of the challenges that I have on the road. I wonder what a thread would look like that was started for the rest of us who had been truckers in a previous life.
Old 07-21-2013, 07:11 PM   #50
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcor View Post
Never thought much about rvers when I began driving for an 18 wheeler. But, after nearly 4 million miles I think about them as I did most truckers that i shared the road with. that is about 10 percent of them should not be on the road at all. All the rest of both groups are pretty good drivers but, the remaining 10 percent always seem to spoil the reputation of the rest of us. I have owned an RV for more than 40 years and I still enjoy it in spite of the challenges that I have on the road. I wonder what a thread would look like that was started for the rest of us who had been truckers in a previous life.
Ya, I was trying to imagine what a "What do you think of RV drivers?" thread would look like if it was started on a Trucker's Forum.

Anybody know of a popular long-haul truckers forum? It'd be interesting to search "rv drivers" topics.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:11 PM   #51
Winnebago Camper

Never seen one on the interstates but they are on Hwy 2 and 20 going over the Cascades.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:34 PM   #52
Winnebago Watcher

RV Drivers are not as smooth as Truck Drivers since they don't drive the RV day in and day out like Truck Drivers do and most RV Drivers are older and maybe more careful. But on the other hand i'v seen Truck Drivers go fast and slow for no reason or pass in the left lane when prohibited. Truck Drivers hate other Truck Drivers to because they are over Tired and time is Money.
evesely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:14 PM   #53
Winnebago Watcher

"RV Drivers are not as smooth as Truck Drivers"
Well maybe you are not, But I drove my own big rig for 21 Years & a class A RV for 33 years. So do not include all of us in your statment.
C&SL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:41 AM   #54
Winnebago Master

I always flash truckers when they are clear to come back over. Almost never receive a recognition for it from the trucker. I don't care though, I want the too young, long haired diesel jockey to pay attention to what he is doing with that lethal 80,000 lb behemoth.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:53 AM   #55
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by U-2 Pilot View Post
...I approched an 18 wheeler whose driver was just getting ready to leave.

After some small talk I asked him if he had had any problems with motorhomes.

His immediate reply was-they are a monumental pain &@$:...

I was shocked with his abrupt and advisarial comeback.

He then shut the door and rolled off.
Maybe because too many RV drivers delay truckers.

Check out the many threads about Keeping Right and Travel Speed. Those guys want to go! We are on vacation, they are at work.
Old 07-22-2013, 07:03 AM   #56
Winnebago Camper

I travel 25 K a year with my Race Trailer on the back and I have found that common on the road courtesy goes a long way- such as blinking my High beams when they pass and want to pull in, I always get a blinking light reply, I frequently see Motor Homes and Travel Trailers in rest areas with slides out, that is just plain rude. Truck stops- Fuel up and pull forward- always give them the right of way. These Guy's and Gals are busy making Money and for the most part we are spending it. I've had conversations with the folks and for the most part they don't resent us if we stay out of their way. Driving 55 in a 65 to save $20 bucs in fuel never did make sense to me, I run the speed limit or just a little over and stay with the flow. I get more hand waves than California Howdy signs while running down the road. In addition I monitor CB channel 19 to make sure I know what is going on 2 miles in front of me. The Interstates today are too busy with inexperienced drivers with cells planted in their ears and texting while driving and I see Motor Homes and Travel trailers weaving back and forth as well.
Just my 2 cents !
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:06 AM   #57
Winnebago Camper

I drive 65 on the interstates. That feels safe to me and I get reasonable fuel mileage. However, I can easily catch a truck on the hills. When that happens, I pull out and pass. Does this p*ss them off? On several occasions I've caught up with a truck on a steep pass and had to drop my speed to the point that I had trouble making the grade. I prefer to let Mr. Allison deal with keeping the speed up.

On our last trip, I ran into a bunch of angry truckers at a Pilot in Kansas City, MO. The layout of this location was TERRIBLE. We pulled in for fuel and had to get in the truck lanes. While there, a guy in the next lane wiht a diesel pickup pulling a long trailer, got out of his truck and went into the store. This blocked that lane. There was a trucker behind him in that lane that was trying to backup and signal to move into my lane. He really didn't have the room and I could not backup because there was a truck behind me. I wanted to let him have it since he's trying to make money and I'm not.

That started the biggest cacaphony of air horns you've ever heard. The truck at the pump directly ahead of me glared at me. He got in his truck (after fueling) and moved it up just barely I think so that I could not get into position. I did but I was pulled up almost to his trailer doors. I started to fuel. My DW jumped out with the dogs to walk them over to the grassy area. As soon as she jumped out some guy hollered at her "is that what we're all waiting for? Somebody to walk a bunch of beagles?".

I was at the pumps for MAYBE 5 minutes, I fueled and pulled away. I really do not understand all the anger.
Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:49 AM   #58
Winnie-Wise

If you go to the thread " Cheap handling fixes" and " What speed do you drive " , you will find the answer to Why do truckers (and Chuck 1935), dislike Motorhomes.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:33 PM   #59
Winnebago Camper

How many people are really happy with their jobs?
I think besides RVers on their list is:
4 wheelers, roads, LEO, weather, their company, their pay, the guy doing 70 in a 65 that just passed them when they were doing 45 up the hill in the left lane next to another truck doing 44.75 mph, the joke book, road tax.......
so they are human with the stresses of the job. Add in to it the fact that now you are at their pump also! Is nothing sacred?
Old 07-22-2013, 01:12 PM   #60
Winnebago Watcher

To understand the animosity, think of a busy day on the golf course and you're behind a foursome of slow players and it will start to make sense.