Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago Lifestyle
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-20-2013, 02:57 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Why do truckers seem to dislike motorhomers so much?

I have heard from, time to time, that truckers seem to resent sharing the highways and byways with motorhomes. So one day two weeks ago, in a Wall Mart parking lot, I approched an 18 wheeler whose driver was just getting ready to leave. After some small talk I asked him if he had had any problems with motorhomes. His immediate reply was-they are a monumental pain &@$:(2/$(. and that they should be banned from the roads. I was shocked with his abrupt and advisarial comeback. He then shut the door and rolled off. I fully recognize that the truckers are at work when on the highway and in a very real way I will never be able to own a motorhome without them. At the same time I still don't understand why a simple question, like I asked, would prompt such an aggressive reply.
I'm hoping that someone, maybe a prior or current trucker, will be able to help me understand what I can do to not contribute to these feelings.
U-2 Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 03:25 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Me too, U-2. I'd be very interested in a view point of a trucker on the MH issue. I'm sure there are as many lousy drivers in MH's as there are in cars and pick-ups, so I wouldn't think that would be the reason.
A late friend who drove a MH for several years before his death told me he spoke to a trucker in a similar conversation, but mainly asking "How to get along with the truckers on the road". One of the things I remember he was told was to try to park in the farthest slots at rest areas, thereby leaving the closer ones for the truckers who want to get back on the road quickly after a potty break.
At truck stops, I always try to move through the refueling line smartly, and then pull into a parking slot to do whatever I need after filling up.

Maybe the bottom line is; "You just can't please everyone, all the time."

2016 Allegro Bus 40AP
nctox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 03:27 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I think the driving habits of a lot of RVers drive truck drivers nuts. Example. Truck in California normally cruise at 62 mph. RVs pass at 65 (trucker doesn't mind) but less than a 1/2 mile later RVer slows to 60 this really bothers truckers.

Then you have the RVer driving 55-60 mph and truck is going to pass, guess what? RVer remembers he can go faster and tries to prevent the truck from passing them.

There are many others examples, this are just the top two that disturbed me and those I rode with.

jack r
Jack R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 03:30 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack R View Post
I think the driving habits of a lot of RVers drive truck drivers nuts. Example. Truck in California normally cruise at 62 mph. RVs pass at 65 (trucker doesn't mind) but less than a 1/2 mile later RVer slows to 60 this really bothers truckers.

Then you have the RVer driving 55-60 mph and truck is going to pass, guess what? RVer remembers he can go faster and tries to prevent the truck from passing them.

There are many others examples, this are just the top two that disturbed me and those I rode with.

jack r
Heck, that annoys the [Moderator edit] outta me, and I'm not a truck driver.

2016 Allegro Bus 40AP
nctox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 03:32 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack R View Post

jack r
I almost always use cruise control to minimize speed changes. I also always "flash in" truckers once they're clear of me when passing. Some acknowledge; most don't.

2015 F-150 King Ranch LB 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost Toad, Texas Boomers RV Club
FMCA F292298, NRA Benefactor Life Member
dlovitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 03:41 PM   #6

I think

It's because they know we can see them on the phone & texting.....
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 04:00 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

half the truckers would not be happy unless they have the road to themselves. Then half of them would be upset at the other half...
Old 07-20-2013, 04:03 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I dont ask them that question. Ever.

Just cordial conversation is enough.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 04:22 PM   #9

It seems truckers dislike everybody... even each other.
(I would too if IHAD to drive ALL day, EVERY day, to get to where I didn't want to go).

Mel
'96 Safari
8-10k miles, (160- 200 hours A YEAR), only when and where I want to!
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 04:31 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddypaws View Post
It's because they know we can see them on the phone & texting.....

I'm sure you would be more surprised at what trucker can see!!

jack r
Jack R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 04:34 PM   #11

What truckers see....

I've heard stories
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 05:01 PM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

As a driver 30 plus years and a Mh owner. Most trucks are govern at 62 to 67 mph the same speed most Mh are runing. This happens a lot I will pull out to pass a camper.About clear then they will pull back up long side of you because of the draft from the truck an trailers you are stuck in the left lane Runing the same speed
oh no is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 05:34 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

To a trucker time is money. He/she can only drive a set number of hours before having manditory downtime. It doesn't matter if that time is spent sitting in a traffic jam, following someone at 45 mph or driving along at the speed limit. Every minute not driving at the legal limit costs time. The driver is paid a set salary/fee to deliver a load from A point to point B. The longer it takes to get from point A to point B the less money they're going to make for a week/month/year.

I've followed a number of RVer's that are far more interested in seeing scenery than getting to their destination. It's the nature of the game, but driving 45 mph in a 60 mph zone and slowing down to 30 mph to photograph the scenery is a good way to back up traffic and get those who need to get somewhere angry. Most RVer's are either retired or on vacation. Time isn't as important to them as someone trying to make a living on the road. If they don't get to a particular destination on a particular day, so what, there's always tomorrow.

I've also run into a number of Rver's whose driving skills aren't what they shold be for the type of vehicle they're trying to navigate. Many are used to driving a 4 door sedan that accelerates, brakes, and handles differently than a 10 or 20 ton truck. In most states you can drive an RV of any size with just a passenger car drivers license. I would much prefer a graduated drivers license program just like a CDL. You'de have to prove you know how to handle the type of vehicle you drive down the road.

Most professional drivers are courteous and well mannered. They will give an RVer a break knowing they aren't professionally trained and are navigating a somewhat under powered vehicle in an unfimilar environment. The other side of the coin is there are jerks in any occupation. The ones that think they own the road and anyone else not in their line of work should be banned are also the ones who would have a bad attitude in whatever profession they were in.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:45 PM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

In my opinion it is the cry baby affect. "Why do I have to, they don't". I am referring to, get a CDL, follow log book rules, go where they want to go. RVer's are on the road are out there because they want to be. Truck drivers are out there to get from point A to B and back to A as fast as they can.
Maybe they are so grumpy because they hold their pee as long as they can so they can say they drove the furthest that day. Lol
hoss1045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:18 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by U-2 Pilot View Post
I have heard from, time to time, that truckers seem to resent sharing the highways and byways with motorhomes. So one day two weeks ago, in a Wall Mart parking lot, I approched an 18 wheeler whose driver was just getting ready to leave. After some small talk I asked him if he had had any problems with motorhomes. His immediate reply was-they are a monumental pain &@$:(2/$(. and that they should be banned from the roads. I was shocked with his abrupt and advisarial comeback. He then shut the door and rolled off. I fully recognize that the truckers are at work when on the highway and in a very real way I will never be able to own a motorhome without them. At the same time I still don't understand why a simple question, like I asked, would prompt such an aggressive reply.
I'm hoping that someone, maybe a prior or current trucker, will be able to help me understand what I can do to not contribute to these feelings.
His reply should have been..."The people that think they should operate them are a monumental pain &@$:(2/$(. and that they should be banned from the roads."
And you don't need to be a truck driver to see that.
TRAILERKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:22 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoss1045 View Post
Maybe they are so grumpy because they hold their pee as long as they can so they can say they drove the furthest that day. Lol
Having worked for 30 years for the WA DOT I can say we didn't pick up the baggies or bottles of yellow "fluid" we found alongside the highway!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:33 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

For a quick insight as to what the truck driver was talking about, just take highway #1 down to Key West. You get behind a mile long line and in front is someone out for a relaxing cruise. Paying no attention to the long line behind him and the clear road ahead of him.
That would make the Pope crazy by the time he got to Key West!!
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:55 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Having worked for 30 years for the WA DOT I can say we didn't pick up the baggies or bottles of yellow "fluid" we found alongside the highway!
Now that's funny thar!!
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:02 PM   #19
Winnebago Watcher

I just traveled with my wife from Delaware to WV last night and towing with a truck I have I was right in the same lane as the truckers. They were very nice and respectful. I flashed my lights a few times to let a trucker in and got a response everytime. Even talked to a few @ a rest stop here and there along the way. I didn't see any of that attitude that you folks are saying. However, I do see how some MH folks drive and I can say they shouldn't be on the road. I would agree that there should be some type of safety course needed to take in order pull a trailer over a certain length or MH. I mean most states require some type of class to obtain your motorcycle license, gun permits or hunting permits...
poppatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:09 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

I asked a friend who is an OTR driver about this. His gripe is the RVs travelling 60 m, and in a 75 mph zone, forcing them to change lanes and pass. He also told me he is jealous of The Griswolds who can afford to mope along on the highway going to places they want to go while his work requires him to get someplace he doesn't even want to go and make a schedule
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote