RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2019, 01:44 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wind/Road Noise

Hi Everyone,

We just bought a new to us 2017 Grand Tour. We made the mistake of not test driving it before we bought it! When we drove it home on the open highway, we noticed there's a LOT of wind noise coming from what sounds like the top front corners of the coach. It's so loud, that it's hard to carry on a conversation or listen to the radio! We traded in a 2008 Itasca Ellipse 40FD for this one, and the design along the top is very different, as this one has the built-in awnings, so it has parts that stick up at the front. I'm guessing this is what's catching all the wind and making noise. Our old coach was much quieter! Has anyone else had this problem? If you did, and were able to reduce the noise, can you share how you accomplished that?

It also has what sounds like a lot of road noise coming from below. I'm guessing the tires on this one are inflated more than our old one, so maybe taking out some of the air might help there. Again, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2019, 02:02 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Wind/Road Noise

RETLT

https://www.irv2.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5007327

Jesse

Jbmsr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 04:58 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi Jesse,

Thanks for your link. I read your post and will definitely try some of the things you mentioned. I thought the noise was coming from the top corners of the coach, as this one has a protruding door awning and trim pieces on either side of the top (one of which holds the hidden patio awnings on the passenger side). It sounds like these are catching the air as we drive, but maybe it's just hard to tell. I can't believe you have to slam the door shut for a tight seal. That just doesn't sound right to me.
Old 10-22-2019, 06:59 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Wind/Road Noise

RETLT
I looked at a number of pictures of your coach. I do see the wind deflectors on the top corners. I see they are hollow which may be why you are getting the wind noise. I would experiment with a few things to see if I could eliminate the noise. I have had tour owners say that slightly re-aiming their mirrors made a huge difference. That coach should be quiet while traveling.
Jesse
Old 10-24-2019, 12:20 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Can you explain what you mean by "wind deflectors?" I agree that it should be a very quiet ride! It's almost new, and the Winnebago flagship RV!
Old 10-24-2019, 01:45 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Iím not sure if you have weep hole covers at the bottom of the driverís and passenger windows. But, if you do, check to see if any are missing as this will create wind noise.
Old 10-24-2019, 06:23 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Wind/Road Noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by RETLT View Post
Can you explain what you mean by "wind deflectors?" I agree that it should be a very quiet ride! It's almost new, and the Winnebago flagship RV!

RETLT
At the front top corners you have fiberglass molded wind deflectors going from the front cap to the awnings to deflect the wind by design to illuminate wind noise. What I see about them that could be causing the noise is that there is a void area in them. As an experiment I would cut a piece of foam to fill the void and try it to see if it made a difference.
Jesse
Old 10-25-2019, 12:20 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakejumper View Post
Iím not sure if you have weep hole covers at the bottom of the driverís and passenger windows. But, if you do, check to see if any are missing as this will create wind noise.
Thank you. I'll look into that!
Old 10-25-2019, 12:23 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbmsr View Post
RETLT
At the front top corners you have fiberglass molded wind deflectors going from the front cap to the awnings to deflect the wind by design to illuminate wind noise. What I see about them that could be causing the noise is that there is a void area in them. As an experiment I would cut a piece of foam to fill the void and try it to see if it made a difference.
Jesse
Thank you. My guess is that the wind noise is coming from those, but I see many RVs that have them. My older RV didn't have them, and it was pretty quiet. I'll try your suggestion and see if it helps. Thanks again!
Old 10-25-2019, 04:04 AM   #10

We don't have a Tour, but all RV doors have a variety of wind noise issues. We use bull nose like rubber stripping you can get at Home Depot. This stuff come in brown or black or white and we put it mostly around the door jam... in a way that it complements the stock weather stripping. This also eliminated the screen rattling noise too.

Note: This weather stripping can be "ripped" in half and it can last 1-3 years depending on how you install it and how good the self-adhesive lasts.

Alternatively, is there any chance air is entering through your marker lights on the front cap? We think our coach has whistle noise and that might be where it's coming from, but I have not investigated that possibility yet. TBD Has anyone had a whistle noise or is this common when the wind hits the front cap at just the right angle?
Old 10-25-2019, 04:21 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by imnprsd View Post
We don't have a Tour, but all RV doors have a variety of wind noise issues. We use bull nose like rubber stripping you can get at Home Depot. This stuff come in brown or black or white and we put it mostly around the door jam... in a way that it complements the stock weather stripping. This also eliminated the screen rattling noise too.

Note: This weather stripping can be "ripped" in half and it can last 1-3 years depending on how you install it and how good the self-adhesive lasts.

Alternatively, is there any chance air is entering through your marker lights on the front cap? We think our coach has whistle noise and that might be where it's coming from, but I have not investigated that possibility yet. TBD Has anyone had a whistle noise or is this common when the wind hits the front cap at just the right angle?
The noise we're experiencing isn't a whistle but, instead, sounds like the type of noise one would hear in an open convertible or with all windows open on the highway in a car. I'll check the marker lights, though, as it may be a contributing factor! Thanks.
Old 11-03-2019, 08:35 PM   #12

I have a 2000 gasser so this may not apply but when I first brought mine home it had a terrible noise that I thought was wind noise but come to find out it was the volume was turned way up on the rear view camera speaker!
David 70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 09:54 PM   #13

An RV technician told me the majority of MH doors are "warped" from the factory. At the time he was "tweaking" my door. He removed the glass to prevent breaking it, then using a padded 2x4 he bent the door a little on one top corner. He must have has experience doing this, because it greatly reduced wind noise.
Oh, he also loosened the door latch bolt a bit, he said the bolt being too tight might contribute to the door springing outward at the top.

David 70, that was the cause of my engine being so loud the day after I had a new rear camera system installed.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
noise, wind