Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2008, 06:10 AM   #1

We just came back from a trip out west and on our first day driving back our bedroom window awning started blowing out (open). It was very windy almost 40-55 mph. Even when we stopped at Walmart it would blow out. The coach handled great for that kind of wind. I duck taped the arms on the awning and that took care of it. Has anbosy else had this problem? This happened out in New Mexico!

2005 Winnebago Journey
Md shedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2008, 06:10 AM   #2

We just came back from a trip out west and on our first day driving back our bedroom window awning started blowing out (open). It was very windy almost 40-55 mph. Even when we stopped at Walmart it would blow out. The coach handled great for that kind of wind. I duck taped the arms on the awning and that took care of it. Has anbosy else had this problem? This happened out in New Mexico!

2005 Winnebago Journey
Md shedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 06:57 AM   #3

Hope you had a good trip. Yes, I have had my window awnings blow open. If you have the A&E window awnings and if you have your instructions, it will tell you how to put more tension on the springs. You have to be real careful of the spring tension when taking the ends off. Torsions are to be wound with the awning in the near closed position. Open awning just far enough to be able to rotate the top casting. After removing a bolt and lifting the end piece (casting) out of the arm you can wind it a few more turns. I would suggest wearing leather work gloves and checking the instructions as to how many turns A&E recommends. Mine says for awning size 30" to 48" 9 turns--54" 10 turns--60" 11 turns and 66" to 84" 12 turns. When facing the awning the top casting on the right is to be turned counter-clockwise and the left clockwise. Happy Travels-

John
bellsharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 09:40 AM   #4

Bellsharbor is correct. You don't have near enough tension on the springs. Your window awning should never open up on its own.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 10:50 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Here's the A&E (Dometic) website file with window awning tensioning instructions (entitled "Winding Torsions").

http://www.dometicusa.com/pdf/3308242.001.pdf

Hope this helps . . .
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 06:25 AM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
My window awnings, both on the driver's side, are Carefree. There are no arms to duct tape, unless I taped the one arm there is to the wall of the coach!

I have noticed them opening up to 6" on two trips in the past five years, both times when we had very strong cross winds from the driver's side. Last time it happened, I pulled over and put "pins" in the hole on the left end of the awnings to prevent them from moving. My "pins" were short pieces of clothes hanger, and I secured them with wire ties just to be sure they could not fall out.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote